Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer' - Galcia & Salamanca

I hope they're planning an area similar to the Le Cafe salad bar on the Cap'. First impressions suggest that the E-Flexer's have very little outside deck space, what there is seems to be at the stern in similar way to both Stena's and P&O's Rotterdam ships... Honfleur is the same.

Is enjoying the bracing sea air a thing of the past nowadays?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonno said:

I hope they're planning an area similar to the Le Cafe salad bar on the Cap'. First impressions suggest that the E-Flexer's have very little outside deck space, what there is seems to be at the stern in similar way to both Stena's and P&O's Rotterdam ships... Honfleur is the same.

By the time an area is reserved for pets to 'exercise' and perhaps another as a 'fumoir' you could be right!

3 hours ago, jonno said:

It looks like almost the entire top of the ship is available to passengers so should have more outside space than Pont Aven post scrubbers.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-e-flexer-overview/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

It looks like almost the entire top of the ship is available to passengers so should have more outside space than Pont Aven post scrubbers.

https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-e-flexer-overview/

It does look like they've got sun loungers, maybe picnic table and perhaps a small bar/cafe up there behind the helicopter pad. It would be a bit windy I think but at least the funnel is well to the rear so no worries with smoke. Ed. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Confirm GALLICIA on Le Havre / Portsmouth route ?

They'll presumably have to call in France once a week to do the crew-change but I have no recollection of them planning on doing so via Le Havre. I guess it'll be in Roscoff like the CAP FINISTERE does now. Ed. 

7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I would assume Roscoff too, for crew change.  No idea where the idea that these new Spanish ships were going to serve Le Havre came from.

Interesting that Irish Ferries aren’t sailing to Roscoff anymore as their new ship won’t fit in Roscoff, but presumably the e flexers will.

I seem to recall the idea was the two new ships would be able to do three rotations per week to Spain. But perhaps the stop in Roscoff could be replaced by a quick dash to Le Havre and back to replicate what BDS does today. However, I don't know if they will need the extra capacity on the line if Normandie does three crossings every day. Ed. 

According to a port executive of LE HAVRE, Brittany Ferries plans to make 2 departures a Day with NORMANDIE. true or false, in any case it would prevent NORMANDIE to wait several hours in Le Havre.

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I seem to recall the idea was the two new ships would be able to do three rotations per week to Spain. But perhaps the stop in Roscoff could be replaced by a quick dash to Le Havre and back to replicate what BDS does today. However, I don't know if they will need the extra capacity on the line if Normandie does three crossings every day. Ed. 

Do we know what they will actually do?

I assumed both are going to Spain, but that then leaves Pont Aven with the Portsmouth legs spare, as BF are implying a Bretagne replacement will be a new build. I guess that leaves the option open to run another Cork Sailing or extra Plymouth - Santander.

17 minutes ago, penguin said:

Do we know what they will actually do?

Good point. I think we know what they originally intended to do but I for one would not put money on them sticking to that. There are so many things that could happen between now and when the first one is due to arrive that demand, and the BF strategy to meet it, may well evolve. Ed. 

4 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Good point. I think we know what they originally intended to do but I for one would not put money on them sticking to that. There are so many things that could happen between now and when the first one is due to arrive that demand, and the BF strategy to meet it, may well evolve. Ed. 

I'm still struggling to work out what PA does, as it appears that she won't be replacing Bretagne.

Pont aven will replace Bretagne on the Portsmouth to st malo route 

cap finnistere is a possible option for Plymouth to Santander TBC

galicia to take over from baie de seines schedule

salamanica will replace cap finnistere 

they are my opinions on sand pont again will replace Bretagne that is confirmed by Brittany ferries and cap finnistere may get replaced they also confirmed

8 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Interesting that Irish Ferries aren’t sailing to Roscoff anymore as their new ship won’t fit in Roscoff, but presumably the e flexers will.

W B Yeats is 195m long.

Cap Finistere is 204m long.

Galicia and Salamanca will be 215m long.

But... As far as I remember, there was never any talk of W B Yeats doing anything other than Dublin to Cherbourg and Holyhead replacing Epsilon. With Epislon now staying until the Holyhead new build arrives, then WBY has more opportunities to sail to France. Cherbourg makes little sense geographically for the majority of traffic coming from the U.K. hence it’s massive decline, but it does from Ireland, as does Dublin for hauliers (the year round bread and butter, for those who want Rosslare then there’s still Stena Line).

WBY can presumably physically fit into Roscoff but does she have internal ramps and even if she does how efficient is she at loading over one level on a relatively narrow linkspan?

https://www.letelegramme.fr/economie/irish-ferries-le-w-b-yeats-trop-grand-pour-roscoff-20-12-2018-12167803.php#ZF7y7322CVKtCFgm.99

Earlier this week, Irish Ferries announced the end of the Roscoff-Rosslare line for 2019. The reason given? The new spinning boat, W.B. Yeats, is too big and will now be Dublin-Cherbourg.
In 2019, completed the Irish Ferries rotations between Roscoff (29) and Rosslare, Ireland. A line that has existed since 1995, which has transported more than 1.5 million passengers. The reason ? The new boat of the company, which has just been delivered to it, W.B. Yeats is simply too big for the port of Roscoff. Information confirmed by Ole Bockman, the director of Irish Ferries in France and responsible for the ports of Roscoff and Cherbourg. And for good reason, W.B. Yeats, with its 194.8 meters long and 31.6 meters wide, is the largest ferry in the world. "The boat must be able to dock in both directions. But at Roscoff, you can only put one ramp at the back, with 1.5 meters of vacuum. The management in Ireland felt that it was too dangerous for safety, "explains Ole Bockman, who points out that the new vessel is 15 meters longer and almost 5 meters wider than the vessel that was performing the rotations. now Oscar Wilde. The latter has, moreover, been put on sale.
TO LIREUR THE SUBJECT
Irish Ferries. The announced end of the Roscoff-Rosslare line
1,885 passengers and 1,200 cars
Could Irish Ferries reconsider its decision? Hard to imagine because to welcome W.B. Yeats would imply big jobs in Roscoff according to the company. "In Cherbourg, they were forced to do so that the ship berth in good conditions," says Ole Bockman. W. Yeats will accommodate up to 1,200 cars and 1,885 people on board. It is now the Dublin-Cherbourg route that has been chosen.
As for jobs, two people worked the season time each year. One full-time and the other part-time. "The contracts will not be renewed in 2019", simply said the director in France.
"We are waiting for explanations"
On the side of the port of Roscoff, this announcement does not pass. "We would have liked to learn it a little earlier! Especially since there was a port council lately, with Irish Ferries. This problem of size of the boat was not mentioned! ", Plague Jean-Paul Chapalain, president of CCIMBO Morlaix, which manages the port of Roscoff. To say that the boat is too big is not an argument. The port of Roscoff has always adapted. We had to do the tests. No, it's a strategic choice ... " It's a blow for Roscoff. In the short term, there are 55 stopovers in Roscoff less for 2019. "On the job side, they minimize the impact because, in addition to the two seasonal workers, Irish Ferries worked with an independent dockers company based in the port of Roscoff", explains the president of the CCIMBO.
A meeting should be held in January: "I can not settle for a mail, we wait a little more explanation! ", Launches Jean-Paul Chapalain. The company is on time as it had six months' notice to terminate its collaboration with Roscoff. This meeting will be an opportunity to define the terms of the end of the contract, knowing that the Rosslare-Roscoff rotations started in March.
An opportunity for Brittany Ferries?
In the long term, the president of the CCIMBO does not fear for Roscoff. "It leaves room for Brittany Ferries to increase its offer to Ireland. We have our place, with a strategic Channel input configuration ".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, neilcvx said:

No, the E-Flexers are 20 metres longer. Whoever mentioned that WBY won't fit Roscoff is telling a bit of a porky, she's 6 metres shorter that Cap' Finistere. It maybe down to the linkspan but she's the same width as the Pont and surely you build a ship to serve your routes?

Largest ferry in the world?? Er, no.

Edited by jonno

11 hours ago, Aiden said:

Pont aven will replace Bretagne on the Portsmouth to st malo route

I'm not so sure, the winter edition of "Voyage" hinted at BF looking elsewhere for a Bretagne replacement.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, penguin said:

I'm not so sure, the winter edition of "Voyage" hinted at BF looking elsewhere for a Bretagne replacement.

You are not suggesting they have bought Oscar Wilde are you? 😀 Ed. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jonno said:

No, the E-Flexers are 20 metres longer. Whoever mentioned that WBY won't fit Roscoff is telling a bit of a porky, she's 6 metres shorter that Cap' Finistere. It maybe down to the linkspan but she's the same width as the Pont and surely you build a ship to serve your routes?

Largest ferry in the world?? Er, no.

The largest ferry bit might be lost in translation, and the authorities at Roscoff have rubbished the size argument.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The largest ferry bit might be lost in translation, and the authorities at Roscoff have rubbished the size argument.

They might be basing it on the length quoted by Wikipedia. It's well over a kilometre in length! Impressive and explains why it took so long to build. 😀

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_ferries_of_Europe&ved=2ahUKEwj3yq70p7jfAhVG1hoKHaLbAVgQFjAHegQIDxAh&usg=AOvVaw19Pk5lVu5Q9w6ZrbEoUayR

Ed

• Haha 2