Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer' - Galcia & Salamanca

Reading today's Shippax bulletin it states that Estrid has finally left the dock and is moored alongside the fitting out quay. They also mention that there are six different designs between the eight vessels being built and the magazine will have a 9 page indepth exclusive on the E-Flexer next month.

Brittany Ferries and Repsol pave the way for UK/Spain LNG ferry operations

Brittany Ferries has signed an agreement with Spanish energy company Repsol for the delivery of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) to its Spanish operations. A letter of intent between the two companies provides the basis for the long-term supply of LNG-fuel and key shoreside infrastructure to the new LNG-powered cruise-ferry Salamanca, which is scheduled to enter service in 2022.

Under the agreement—which follows an extensive tender process during 2018—Repsol will install a fixed quayside LNG storage and supply system in one of Brittany Ferries’ two Spanish ports, Santander or Bilbao. Repsol will then supply LNG bunker fuel to Brittany Ferries’ Salamanca during the ship’s regular visits on routes linking Portsmouth, UK and northern Spain. A final decision on the location of the terminal will be made later in 2019.

Frédéric Pouget, Brittany Ferries’ Fleet and Operations Director comments: “Liquefied natural gas offers major environmental advantages compared to traditional maritime fuels, and we’re extremely satisfied to be working with Repsol on LNG bunkering arrangements for our Spanish ferry operations,”

Salamanca will be our second LNG-powered ship, but the first to operate to and from Spain. Repsol’s competence in the field of LNG bunkering technology and environmentally-friendly fuels along with its capacity to deliver to us makes it an obvious partner for us. This new terminal will allow for regular, flexible and reliable deliveries whilst Salamanca is alongside, benefiting our operations and scheduling. Meanwhile the use of LNG will offer much wider benefits to the environment.”

Repsol’s Wholesale & Gas Trading Director, Laura Rejón-Pérez said:  “We are delighted to enter into this long term agreement with Brittany Ferries, a company clearly engaged with innovation and the improvement in its environmental footprint by using LNG as bunker fuel. We are leaders in providing alternative, greener, fuels for maritime, air and road transport and this agreement is an exciting milestone for our growing LNG bunkering business.”

Salamanca follows Honfleur (currently under construction in Germany and due to enter service late 2019) as the second LNG-powered ship in Brittany Ferries’ fleet. LNG provides major environmental advantages, reducing carbon dioxide, and cutting sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and particulate emissions to almost zero.

Construction of the new ship is planned at the Avic International Weihai shipyard in China. Under the agreement between Brittany Ferries and Repsol, the supply of LNG will begin in 2022, coinciding with Salamanca’s entry into service.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Did we already know she would be LNG-powered? I can't recall reading that. Ed. 

Yeah Ed, Galicia will be LNG ready which possibly means she'll be able to service both Spanish ports whilst Salamanca will be exclusive to whichever one gets the bunkering. My money is on Bilbao as there's a facility a couple of km's down the quayside.

Just to add, Gijon will have LNG bunkering too ready for when Balearia commence sailings.

Edited by jonno
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, but am I right that this is new news? I can find no reference to LNG on any previous BF press-release relating to the two new ships. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Thanks, but am I right that this is new news? I can find no reference to LNG on any previous BF press-release relating to the two new ships. Ed. 

Had a quick look through this thread, in page 8 Ferryman posted an article on the E-flexers, it said 1 to 5 would be Gas ready and 6 would be capable of using gas from the start.  That's the first mention I could find.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cvabishop said:

So, we are phasing in gas powered ships and phasing out gas powered cookers and domestic boilers then...(!)

I suspect it’s a bit easier to heat a home and cook a meal with electricity than it is to power a cross channel ferry with electricity, there are plenty electric ferries on or planned fit shorter routes in Canada,Norway and Scotland.

17 hours ago, cvabishop said:

So, we are phasing in gas powered ships and phasing out gas powered cookers and domestic boilers then...(!)

Apparently we it's imperative to reduce the flatulence of livestock too! (unless we can find a way of collecting it to power a ferry)

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Last time I checked, most people don't cook on diesel ;) And induction powered ships aren't ready yet!!!

I don’t know why they don’t just put nuclear reactors in them and be done with it!  No more fuel bills and no more emissions!

(Mind you, there would then be no more need for Pont Aven’s special “feature”)!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I don’t know why they don’t just put nuclear reactors in them and be done with it!  No more fuel bills and no more emissions!

If it’s good enough for the new UK aircraft carriers,,,, oh wait !!!

7 hours ago, Gareth said:

You could replace it with one of Doc Brown's Mr Fusion reactors and dump all the waste in... Oh hang on, the Pont does 28 not 88, the flux capacitor wouldn't be, er, fluxing would it?

What's wrong with rowing, it didn't do the Vikings any harm... a bit of "eye of the tiger" downloaded onto the I pod using the free wifi would make the time pass and it's healthy too...outside 4 berth oar anyone?

Edited by jonno
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gareth said:

And at least they'll have no excuse in the restaurant for serving food that's not piping hot. Ed

• Like 1

On 22/02/2019 at 17:18, cvabishop said:

Only in the UK, CVA Pompe a Chaleur, have been the defacto standard for new builds for in France for at least 4 years.

From what I am told, they are very energy efficient too.

Isn’t the real innovation with Honfleur its Electric drive system? Which of is missing from the E flexer concept.

25 minutes ago, alleeganger10 said:

From what I am told, they are very energy efficient too.

They are, but I understand that they do tend to work better in countries with milder climates. They are also more expensive to install (as well as rather unsightly and take up space) which may explain why the UK hasn't adopted them so readily. Ed. 

On 22/02/2019 at 15:16, jonno said:

Yeah Ed, Galicia will be LNG ready which possibly means she'll be able to service both Spanish ports whilst Salamanca will be exclusive to whichever one gets the bunkering. My money is on Bilbao as there's a facility a couple of km's down the quayside.

Just to add, Gijon will have LNG bunkering too ready for when Balearia commence sailings.

Do Balearia have any intentions of using Gijon or is it just an assumption of yours, they are forever expanding and they do have several ferries on order including a couple of large cruise ferries.

I can just imagine them opening up a Gijon to Portsmouth link at some stage.

1 hour ago, canberra97 said:

Do Balearia have any intentions of using Gijon or is it just an assumption of yours, they are forever expanding and they do have several ferries on order including a couple of large cruise ferries.

I can just imagine them opening up a Gijon to Portsmouth link at some stage.

https://bfenthusiasts.com/bfe/topic/10577-st-nazaire-to-gijon/page/8/

https://www.elcomercio.es/gijon/balearia-barco-autopista-mar-gijon-nantes-20181023001148-ntvo.html

I'd forgotten about the link to St Nazaire.

Although I wouldn't be surprised at some point if Balearia did announce a possible Gijon to Portsmouth link.

On 18/03/2019 at 01:56, canberra97 said:

I'd forgotten about the link to St Nazaire.

Although I wouldn't be surprised at some point if Balearia did announce a possible Gijon to Portsmouth link.

I would be extremely surprised! Competing on a Spain - Portsmouth route with BF is no mean feat, and I am sure if BF thought this would happen, they would stick an oar in first!

Edited by hf_uk
  • Like 2

Because I am nw here I couldn't read through all pages.

[url=https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-e-flexer-overview/]This page[/url] states the E-Flexer ships for Brittany Ferries will be delivered in fall 2020 and 2021 to replace Cap Finistere and Baie De Seine.

Are there any rumors or hints how the ship's deployment will be changed and shifted? I am sure Cap Finistere is too new to leave the fleet, whereas Baie De Seine was chartered to Brittany Ferries for 5 years. Than for sure she might go back to DFDS. 

I can imagine until Salamanca will be delivered in 2021, Galicia, Cap Finistere and Pont Aven are sailing on the Spain - UK routes, and maybe Cap Finistere also offers Cherbourg - Portsmouth services?

Further I think when the new ships are out by 2021 at the latest: Pont AVen to sail St. Malo - Portsmouth, Bretagne/Normandie to leave the fleet and one of the new ships is sailing the Plymouth - Spain, Roscoff - Plymouth and Roscoff - Cork routes. 

Any other ideas? 

Edited by shipfriend

Welcome aboard Shipfriend, you have a lot of reading to catch up on.  Most of what you say has been covered and is buried in here somewhere.  Firstly the new ships are to big for Cork (as is the Cap F) and are presently believed to big for Plymouth, so they will have to run from Portsmouth.  The Normandie is moving to Le Havre replacing Etretat, Bretagne will leave the fleet at some point but the last word was there would be a new build to replace her and not the Pont Aven moving across as most expected.  As you say Baie De Seine will leave the fleet.

Personally I wonder if PA will move to Plymouth full time on her old timetable, 2 Ply/San and 2 Ply/Ros with Cork at the weekend, it would certainly be good for us down in the far west.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shipfriend said:

Any other ideas? 

Welcome to the nut house!

Brittany Ferries E-Flexers will arrive in 2021, 2022 & 2023.

Of the standard 215m ships Stena are having 1, 2 & 3, Brittany Ferries 4, 6 & 7, DFDS No 5.

The schedule was altered as Stena feel that Irish Ferries will have a capacity advantage from 2020 due to their 2nd Flensburg new build to partner Ulysses. This will effect BF as Baie du Seine will return to DFDS in April 2020 leaving 12 months before Galicia arrives which could indicate a further charter vessel will be sourced in the meantime.

My personal view is that BF will buy either Stena Lagan or Mersey which are of a higher standard to Etretat (she'll return once Honfleur arrives) then  replace Connemara permanently once Galicia is in place.

1 hour ago, Solo said:

Personally I wonder if PA will move to Plymouth full time on her old timetable, 2 Ply/San and 2 Ply/Ros with Cork at the weekend, it would certainly be good for us down in the far west.

I'll second that move. 

• Like 2