Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer' - Galcia & Salamanca

32 minutes ago, jonno said:

they'll have STOL capability... an advantage when giving the likes of Ryan Air

Are Ryanair going into the floating airport business then? The Royal Navy could lease their second carrier out during the summer months. 😉 Ed. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Are Ryanair going into the floating airport business then? The Royal Navy could lease their second carrier out during the summer months. 😉 Ed. 

Short take off & landing. Quicker acceleration to V2 & Vr. Steeper climb, steeper descent. It's why they use obscure airports with short runways and why most of the cowling opens as an air brake in reverse thrust, bypass air is controlled by variable stator vanes, usually in 3 stages, When Boeing switched to CFM56 plant the turbine was larger... more thrust control, more bypass, steeper climbs etc...

The Wiki stuff isn't really that accurate. Nothing was done to the fan diameter and nothing was done to reduce bypass. whomever wrote that needs to give their head a wobble.

The nacelle needed to be flattened and Boeing redesigned the engine strut so the turbine could be mounted ahead of the wing as it hung too low underneath, less ground clearance turns it into a hoover, a few industry insiders scratched their heads as there's not much foreign object protection down there considering. Airbus went a different route they installed longer landing gear that why their nacelles are more standard, oh and the wing isn't as low. The engine innards are no different to any other with axial compressors, they're long and thin. all they do is side mount pumps, genny's etc which is no hardship, essentially if it's attached with a hose it can be relocated.

The CFM 56 is an excellent engine. it's all General Electric inside , the french designed new fans and just basically bolted them on the front end.

Dates for your diary.

This is a definitive list of the yard & IMO numbers plus delivery dates for all of the announced E-Flexer RoPax under current or planned construction at Avic Weihai Shipyard Co.Ltd. This list has been copied directly from their website. Those without names are simply listed as Stena AB at the shipyard.

The question for me is, what is the surprise package lurking in W0265?

https://new-ships.com/Yard-46007-Avic_Weihai_Shipyard_Co_Ltd.html

10 minutes ago, jonno said:

Dates for your diary.

This is a definitive list of the yard & IMO numbers plus delivery dates for all of the announced E-Flexer RoPax under current or planned construction at Avic Weihai Shipyard Co.Ltd. This list has been copied directly from their website. Those without names are simply listed as Stena AB at the shipyard.

The question for me is, what is the surprise package lurking in W0265?

https://new-ships.com/Yard-46007-Avic_Weihai_Shipyard_Co_Ltd.html

One missing, 'Santoña' for Brittany Ferries.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

2 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

One missing, 'Santoña' for Brittany Ferries.

Be fair Tony, BF only announced both names this morning and for accuracy of the post isn't on any list from Avicship.com, Avic International Ship Development or Deltamarin.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised that they chose Kerry for the Visentini but Connemara isn't exactly local to Cork either so...? Always felt that Lough Mahon or Lough Beg would have been more suitable.

1 minute ago, hf_uk said:

why would 272 be 800 tonnes lighter than 271?

270 & 271 are the 240m E Flexers, all of the 7700 ships are 214m.

• Like 1

Regarding BF's press release, anyone else noticed the steadily increasing level of investment? When both E Flexers and Honfleur were announced it stood at €450m now it's €550m.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

Lough Mahon or Lough Beg

Can you imagine the French and Spanish trying to pronounce those names? They have enough trouble with Portsmouth and Plymouth as it is. Ed. 

• Haha 1

Well, we Brits have managed with Cornouailles, Breizh Izel, Reine Mathilde and Benodet over the years! Come to think of it. Pont Aven is not a walk in the park either!  Gone are the days when they gave us names like Prince of Brittany to get our tongues around. 🤣

Why do the Bretons make everything unnecessarily complicated? My parents always took us to France on P&O so the worst we had to deal with was Pride of Cherbourg. 😉 Ed. 

33 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Why do the Bretons make everything unnecessarily complicated? My parents always took us to France on P&O so the worst we had to deal with was Pride of Cherbourg. 😉 Ed. 

I remember when I was a wee boy going on an old truck line ferry to France I think it was called Barfluer or something like that.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I remember when I was a wee boy going on an old truck line ferry to France I think it was called Barfluer or something like that.

No, that was probably just a childhood nightmare. Your parents might have threatened you with such a punishment but would never have actually gone through with it. 😀. Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

No, that was probably just a childhood nightmare. Your parents might have threatened you with such a punishment but would never have actually gone through with it. 😀. Ed. 

I can only imagine what the wife would say if we went on her she’s bad enough when we have to go on other certain ships, to keep it on topic I wonder when we will get internal artists impressions of the chartered eflexers.

7 hours ago, jonno said:

Regarding BF's press release, anyone else noticed the steadily increasing level of investment? When both E Flexers and Honfleur were announced it stood at €450m now it's €550m.

And if they ever bought Condor Ferries more investment in replacement ro paxes to add on top of that figure!

9 hours ago, jonno said:

Be fair Tony, BF only announced both names this morning and for accuracy of the post isn't on any list from Avicship.com, Avic International Ship Development or Deltamarin.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised that they chose Kerry for the Visentini but Connemara isn't exactly local to Cork either so...? Always felt that Lough Mahon or Lough Beg would have been more suitable.

Mahon wouldn't have a great reputation in Cork.

Lough Beg is the home of, inter alia, Pfizer so it would be rather upstanding........

• Haha 2

Interesting that you can get to the bow of “Kerry “ unlike the other Vissentis I imagine that would be a nice place to stand sailing into port .

• Like 1

Brittany Ferries and REPSOL are extending their agreement. Not only will the Spanish fuel refiner supply LNG to the E-Flexers, they are to build LNG bunkering facilities at both Bilbao & Santander... Info courtesy of Ferry Shipping News.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jonno said:

Brittany Ferries and REPSOL are extending their agreement. Not only will the Spanish fuel refiner supply LNG to the E-Flexers, they are to build LNG bunkering facilities at both Bilbao & Santander... Info courtesy of Ferry Shipping News.

Is this an indication that all E-Flexers are now going to be LNG?

3 hours ago, penguin said:

Is this an indication that all E-Flexers are now going to be LNG?

They still only mention No2 & No3, Galicia will still be "LNG ready".

1 of the LNG ships will probably do santander and the other doing bilbao and the 3rd E Flexer will probably do Plymouth - santander or rotate thats what i think

35 minutes ago, jonno said:

They still only mention No2 & No3, Galicia will still be "LNG ready".

if Galicia was LNG Ready it wouldn't take much work to convert it to LNG even if they already have started constructing her