Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer' - Galcia & Salamanca

I'm sure the Brittany Ferries Press Release on 29th March 2019 mentioned that all 3 would be LNG powered, and the Bunkering Facilities news was mentioned by Ferry Shipping News back in February saying "Either Santander or Bilbao, with a decision being made later in 2019".

https://www.ferryshippingnews.com/brittany-ferries-and-repsol-pave-the-way-for-uk-spain-lng-ferry-operations/

34 minutes ago, Aiden said:

1 of the LNG ships will probably do santander and the other doing bilbao and the 3rd E Flexer will probably do Plymouth - santander or rotate thats what i think

Wouldn't an E-Flexor be too big for Plymouth?

1 minute ago, MichaelBF said:

Wouldn't an E-Flexor be too big for Plymouth?

Something i didn't think about but it still could rotate between Santander and Bilbao like i said  

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-confirms-fourth-new-cruise-ferry-post-brexit/

Like Salamanca and Honfleur, the new ship will be powered by Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG). It’s a fuel which presents major environmental advantages over conventional maritime fuels, reducing carbon dioxide emissions by around 20% and cutting sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and particulate emissions to almost zero.”

So it would appear Galicia is still just LNG ready although presumably it’s early enough in the build to change that .

4 minutes ago, Aiden said:

Something i didn't think about but it still could rotate between Santander and Bilbao like i said  

They will be almost 15 metres to long for Plymouth. Yes, they can rotate Santander and Bilbao, but it'll have to be through Portsmouth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

So it would appear Galicia is still just LNG ready although presumably it’s early enough in the build to change that .

Quite right Neil, LNG Ready means that all the risk assessments & HAZID (hazard identification studies) have been completed and of course Galicia will have class approval too, it's just a case of retrofitting.

Galicia was originally planned for 2020 but as she's now not arriving until the 2021 holiday season I'd suggest that she'll be fully LNG powered just like her sisters.

I'm pretty sure Jonno has said categorically that neither CF nor an E-flexer will fit in Cork so, as you say, this will be interesting. Ed.

Yep that’s been well documented on here but Jean Marc Roue has said that he wants Cap to go on that route as well, time will tell .

1 minute ago, neilcvx said:

Yep that’s been well documented on here but Jean Marc Roue has said that he wants Cap to go on that route as well, time will tell .

Well he'd better start dredging and mixing the cement this weekend then. Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last week I travelled through Cork. There are substantial land reclamation works being carried out in front of the existing berth. This could be the concrete works required to extend the berth.

• Thanks 1

Plenty of berthing space at Rosslare, which also happen to be looking for ferry operators to make more use of the port .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, neilcvx said:

This is interesting.

Where has it been mentioned that Galicia would operate to Cork? And leaving the fleet in 2022.  Does he mean Connemara?

The land reclamation is for the Tivoli deep sea freight expansion just ahead of the ferry berth. A fourth dolphin can't be laid as it will encroach on the new container quay.

Port of Cork have said on many occasions that there is no plan to increase the ferry footprint.

CF will be on the UK - Spain route until 2023 when the final E Flexer arrives then BF will drop to a four ship operation but with greater pax capacity and a 28% uplift in freight. In their present guise CF can fit three French ports, Roscoff, Cherbourg & Le Havre. U.K wise only Plymouth at the outside and Portsmouth can take her.

For me there's a couple of scenarios which make sense. Fill the timetable gap I.F's Oscar Wilde has left or begin a new route between Rosslare and Bilbao. 

Under normal everyday circumstances she'll not replace any vessel controlled by SOMABRET so she'll not run any derivative of Plymouth - Roscoff - Cork or Plymouth Santander also Portsmouth - St Malo nor will she replace any vessel on routes controlled by SOMANOR which after Normandie relocates will include Le Havre.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

Where has Jonno said that Neil?

In the comment 

2 hours ago, jonno said:

CF will be on the UK - Spain route until 2023 when the final E Flexer arrives then BF will drop to a four ship operation but with greater pax capacity and a 28% uplift in freigh

I suspect it’s more of a assumption though looking at it again.

• Like 1

Yes, that reads to me as Jonno’s prediction.  I’m inclined to agree with him; I don’t really see a role for CF in the fleet beyond Spanish service.

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yes, I’m intrigued about which ship mv Kerry is intended to relate to!

Surely he means Connemara rather than Galicia? And Kerry will almost certainly be a thing of the past in 2022, at least in terms of BF.

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

In the comment 

I suspect it’s more of a assumption though looking at it again.

BF's 8th July 2019 press release on page 2 of their newsroom.

"The company will also run four round trips from the UK to Spain each week, instead of five. This means a significant saving in fuel consumption and emissions, while still promising a 10% improvement in passenger capacity and 28% increase in freight space.

These savings, combined with improved efficiency thanks to better hull design and modern engines, and the use of LNG to power vessels, will realise an estimated saving of around 46% CO2 per passenger compared with current vessels on the company’s long-haul routes."