Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer' - Galcia & Salamanca

I doubt she'd be used on any UK-French route either even with cost effective hybrids unless it's to expand what's already in place. I suppose the more realistic option is for BAI to sell her and buy a ship suitable for Cork-Spain, maybe one of Stena's outgoing Mersey Visentini's perhaps and hopefully there'll be a bit left in the pot to pay their 5-10% share of a St Malo new build. 

On the other hand If it's just BAI looking at Condor then I think Ed's idea of using her sale to part pay for two CI conventional new builds would work out too although she won't be going anywhere for a few years and the CI's may want something more definitive in the remaining years leading up to the licence renewal... such as using NEX as well as Libby. Surely she'd earn more for them running all year to the Islands than just the peak months she covers now?

8 minutes ago, jonno said:

On the other hand If it's just BAI looking at Condor then I think Ed's idea of using her sale to part pay for two CI conventional new builds

My thinking was also that we know the French regions which BF serves own (wholly or partly) the vessels visiting their ports. I doubt those regions would want to bankroll ships for the CIs as they will get no return on their investment through extra tourism etc. So, either the States foot the bill or BF pay for the new ships themselves. If the latter then they will need cash and CF is presumably the biggest saleable asset BAI have. Ed. 

• Like 1

According to the pictures from China on the latest Club Voyage email, Galicia’s home port is Portsmouth. Surely that’s a first for a BF ship? (Truckline fleet excepted)

British crew? 

Strange though, to have a port “d’attache Anglais” with a “nom Espagnol”,   how very European, interesting times we live  in. 

Hope the French unions have been consulted.

29 minutes ago, alleeganger10 said:

According to the pictures from China on the latest Club Voyage email, Galicia’s home port is Portsmouth. Surely that’s a first for a BF ship? (Truckline fleet excepted)

British crew? 

Strange though, to have a port “d’attache Anglais” with a “nom Espagnol”,   how very European, interesting times we live  in. 

Hope the French unions have been consulted.

This issue has been discussed here, starting at the bottom of page 7:

Ed,

27 minutes ago, alleeganger10 said:

Thanks Ed, You spend too much time on here! ... must be in between jobs.

Logically I thought it would be in the Galicia thread!.

Not in between jobs but in between appointments, often on public transport or waiting for my next victim (sorry, trainee) to turn up. 😀 Ed. 

• Haha 2

On 24/08/2019 at 14:20, Gareth said:

What the plan is for the third e-flexer, goodness knows.  The press release implies not UK to Spain but somewhere to Spain.  You’d think that must mean Cork, but for the doubts about whether the ferry would fit the berth.

Also remember that Cork - Spain is still a trial, albeit extended by 6 months with the arrival of Kerry.  Hard for me to see why they'd want to put a larger ship on when the future of the route isn't guaranteed (and why say they are extending the trial for 6 months when the one thing freight, which lets face it is the bread and butter of the year round service, likes is certainty and security).  Uptake appears to have been less than enthusiastic in terms of freight, and Kerry is hardly an upgrade in terms of passenger facilities.  Of course it is still a "new" route and freight doesn't switch overnight - though how much year round freight demand is there for Ireland to Spain really?  In terms of value Spain is well down the top countries for imports and exports to and from Ireland.  

My impression has been that Cap Finistere could be for the chop (lets face it, she's not the most economical vessel in the world and will be over 20 - not a bad age to move her on before her resale value plummets?).  The fact that she has scrubbers already might make her an attractive proposition for some post 2020, especially if they are scrubbers proven to actually work.  An E-Flexer should be able to attain 18 knots on 1 propeller with the second propeller feathered.  I doubt Cap Finistere with her hull optimised for speed can get anywhere close to that fuel consumption!  24kts on just over 20,000kW fully laden with over 3km of vehicles onboard?

The third Brittany Ferries E-Flexer is the best part of 4 years away in any case.  Plenty of time for things to change!