Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer' - Galcia & Salamanca

Pont seems to be a more popular ship and apparently offers better dining options than Cap and a better variety of cabins with more than 12 with kettles from what I’ve read it’s certainly regarded as a superior cruising ship than the other two you mentioned.

27 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Pont seems to be a more popular ship and apparently offers better dining options than Cap and a better variety of cabins with more than 12 with kettles from what I’ve read it’s certainly regarded as a superior cruising ship than the other two you mentioned.

Cabin kettles, I like it...! Pont Aven has 88, the Cap 8 and BDS 18- the Economie ship also has a wider choice of cabins than the Superfast.

I think it's worth noting though that PA can carry nearly 3 times as many passengers so you'd expect the ratio of premium cabins to be greater.

As ships go, out of the three in terms of a cross section of comfort, food quality & sea keeping for me BDS ticks the boxes considering BF haven't really invested a good deal of money in her internally. It's shame she's on charter and returning early as if bought and given the BF treatment I reckon she'd be a great asset and be even more popular than she is.

I also really enjoy sitting on the Cap's top deck, book in hand plus her huge glass windows in the bar, nice comfy cabins too. she also rides the waves in a manner I approve of.

Pont Aven... pass... ask me my opinion on Lessepsian migration of marine life in the Suez Canal instead.

• Like 1

I stand by my points of Pont avens dining and overall cruise experience, the other 2 have limited dining experience and yes a kettle in a cabin is nice to have on a long crossing as is a tv.

27 minutes ago, jonno said:

I also really enjoy sitting on the Cap's top deck, book in hand plus her huge glass windows in the bar, nice comfy cabins too. she also rides the waves in a manner I approve of.

A man after my own heart...although I must confess it is usually pint in hand. I do hope we get to enjoy this ship for a few more years!

there is an error on barfleur it was built by brittany ferries with financial help from the department of the sleeve (senamanche) specifically for poole cherbourg in 1991 for commissioning 1992

Sofy - the reasons I vetoed your previous 4 attempts at posting this post were (a) this is not a discussion about Barfleur and the forum is very sensitive about posts apparently aimed at taking a non-Barfleur thread onto a discussion about Barfleur.  And (b), because your technical correction is not actually technically correct.  Barfleur was not built by (or for) Brittany Ferries, she was built by / for Truckline.  If only due to sheer persistence I have approved your post.  But please be aware that this is not a thread about Barfleur, and the history of the building of Barfleur is well-known to the members of this forum.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sofy said:

there is an error on barfleur it was built by brittany ferries with financial help from the department of the sleeve (senamanche) specifically for poole cherbourg in 1991 for commissioning 1992

I looks like Google-translate might have played a leading role in the preparation of this post. 'Department of the Sleeve'? What about 'Department of the Dawn', 'Department of the Expensive', 'Department of the Dig', 'Department of the Batch', 'Department of the Steps of Calais', 'Department of the Amount', 'Department of the Meeting' and my personal favourite: 'Department of the Come Hither'.

It reminded me of that old joke our school history teacher used to tell us. "At the battle of Waterloo, where did Napoleon keep his armies?'

Ed

I love off topic, Wikepedia shows the owner of the Barfleur as a company called Senamanche.

This is based in St Lo in the Department of Manche, Normandy.

La Manche as we all know is the French version of the English Channel.

In 1992, Trucklines was owned by Brittany Ferries

All fun facts, but not totally on topic 

On 1/31/2018 at 20:21, georgem7 said:

I think BF WILL build another cruise ferry, either as a replacement for Bretagne, or for Pont-Aven (which is a while yet!) when her time is up. As has been highlighted in another thread, the St Malo doesn't carry a lot of freight so won't need the large vehicle decks that other routes need. 

It's a fairly reasonable deduction. Viking's new cruise ferry currently being built in China is costing a similar amount to Honfleur, around £175m with a goss tonnage in excess of the Harwich sisters 62000 and will be 218m long although her vehicle capacity is low. I'd expect her to be just as eye catching as Grace, she cost around £200m which considering how expensive and leading edge LNG power was at that time represents pretty good value over a realistic 30-40 year lifespan.

I agree with both Gareth & Rick that there is an appetite within the Roscoff corridors of power to invest in 3 of the Stena sisters. This would would give BF well over 9000 lane metres dedicated to freight traffic which in turn would ease port congestion at Portsmouth and offer those needing to get goods to market an expanded timetable.

Having a ten year charter option with the view to purchasing, you would think, give BF the breathing space to fund a new build dedicated to passengers with the space to offer larger cabins, premium suites, a choice of restaurants and possibly a spa. With the E-flexer's having a stricter timetable due to the needs of freight the new build could also run slower swelling the coffers a little more and lowering fuel consumption.

• Like 2

Be interesting to see a ferry almost dedicated to passengers and not freight how far BF would push the boat out in cabin design,dining etc and whether that would affect the eflexers would they be economie? Interesting times ahead BF always have an ace up their sleeve so to speak.

I don’t see any reason to expect that the e-flexers will be Economie.  I still think the ultimate plan is to drop the Economie brand, when they have managed to eliminate the Vissentinis from the fleet.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I don’t see any reason to expect that the e-flexers will be Economie.  I still think the ultimate plan is to drop the Economie brand, when they have managed to eliminate the Vissentinis from the fleet.

Not sure.

Etretat 38 crew

Barfleur 185 crew

That is quite a difference in cost. I personally like the Etretat overnight, however would not use Economie during the day !

Note that both  crew figures came from wikepedia so should have a bit of salt added.

David

Yes I hope they aren’t economie but if staff are one of your biggest costs then reducing that cost is tempting, time will tell BF are full of surprises.

59 minutes ago, David Williams said:

And back on topic, it would be easy to order a few more eflexers as Stena have an option for another 4

http://www.stenaroro.com/activities/Pages/Stena-signs-contract-for-four-new-RoPax-ferries.aspx

I'm sure that when this was originally said there was an option of BF having one of the second four as well, or did we think that the first BF one would be one of this second order?

39 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Not sure.

Etretat 38 crew

Barfleur 185 crew

That is quite a difference in cost. I personally like the Etretat overnight, however would not use Economie during the day !

Note that both  crew figures came from wikepedia so should have a bit of salt added.

David

Hi David,

I suggest a very big bag of salt might be in order! I’ve just downloaded the ship layout of Barfleur from the BF website to be sure (WiFi at snails pace on Normandie this afternoon...) and it mentions a crew of 92, but that’s when passenger capacity was at 1212. Now it’s reduced to just 450 during the winter months I doubt there are more than 60 crew on board. 

I thought Etretat was nearer 50 but I may be wrong.

Chris

Gareth, please don’t veto this post as it’s gone off topic (That dratted Poole ship again.....:ph34r:!)

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Not sure.

Etretat 38 crew

Barfleur 185 crew

David

Sorry to disagree David but Barfleur has 50 crew.

PA has 185 in peak season I beleive.

Barfleur barely has 185 passengers most sailings:)

Edited by hf_uk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Regardless of economie or not I suspect the e-flexer will be built to minimise staffing numbers and turnaround time.

Firstly remember Neil that the eflexers will be twin level loading so I would imagine turnaround times could be considerably quicker than is currently the case. Pont Aven generally takes at least an hour to unload when busy, sometimes longer, especially when some old *@%! in the car at the front of the queue on deck 3 toddles down 15 minutes after the doors open....😡🤬👹 Which reminds me, isn’t Santander only a single deck linkspan? That’s going to need some investment before 2020 in a double decker facility.

Secondly a 1000 pax capacity means crew numbers should be well down compared to PA. I agree with everything said so far, there’s no reason why BF won’t fit them out to a high standard with larger cabins than PA, less of the tiny 2 berth insides, decent sized lounges, bar and relaxation areas, but where I disagree with Jonno is it’s imperative there is as large a restaurant as space allows offering either the full a la carte option, buffet or even tapas facility. There’s no better way of killing time enjoyably on a long crossing than by having a relaxed lunch or dinner with a few glasses of wine for good measure.

Chris

Will the standard inside cabin be any bigger? It depends what size pre-moulded ones are available, perhaps there will be more cabin upgrades available, Club cabins etc.

I would think the range of cabins would be similar to the Harwich ferries if they don’t go down the cheapo route, I personally don’t mind the inside 2 berths on Pont for an overnight crossing but if they are basing it on Spanish routes then they probably should be bigger, (  @Fine Whine an hour and a half to get off last August on the Pont and we were far from First on).

Chris - of the 5 ports that Pont Aven serves on her main summer roster, 4 of them are single-level loading.  Her schedule is not one that makes use of twin-level loading, so a ship with that facility would be a waste.  Bottom line is, when you are making passages of 24 hours, there is no need to turn around in a rush, and the schedules would not plan for it in any case.  So I see no need whatsoever for double-deck loading in Santander (or Cork, Plymouth or Roscoff).