Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer' - Galcia & Salamanca

13 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Sambuca is the drink I was thinking of - just twigged..😄

Sure it wasn’t a Harry Potter spell, I was thinking of a 9 litre bottle of champagne a Salmanazar.

Hate to mention it, but a British / Portuguese army under Wellington beat the French at the Battle of Salamanca in 1812 !!

Bet that there’s a picture somewhere of the battle (there usually is) - perhaps a nice reproduction in the restaurant ?

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Gardian said:

Hate to mention it,

Of course you do! 😁

But you are right, what could be nicer than admiring that painting while tucking into a three-course meal of Bordatino soup (a typical dish from Elba - here's the recipe if anyone's interested : https://www.elbaworld.com/en/elban-recipes/p-339-bordatino.html) followed by a delicious Beef Wellington and rounded off with a Poire Belle (St) Helene. 

What's the betting the IT guy came up with that name after seeing it in 'Game of Thrones' or some medieval fantasy online game? 

Ed

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

What's the betting the IT guy came up with that name after seeing it in 'Game of Thrones' or some medieval fantasy online game?

For Breaking Bad fans, 'Salamanca' has its associations...

But on a more serious note, I hope BF keep up the same level of information/picture sharing that they have been doing with Honfleur - though, I guess with Stena building the e-Flexers in China that may be a little more difficult.

• Like 2

Salamanca's a lovely place, and a fitting name for the ship. For those heading that way who may not be familiar with the territory, Burgos is also an interesting town with a museum devoted to prehistoric man, cave dwellers, etc, and a very fine cathedral.

14 minutes ago, Jardinier said:

Salamanca's a lovely place, and a fitting name for the ship. For those heading that way who may not be familiar with the territory, Burgos is also an interesting town with a museum devoted to prehistoric man, cave dwellers, etc, and a very fine cathedral.

It certainly looks interesting. I was wondering if it's the furthest inland site given as a name for a BF ship seeing as most of them are coastal cities or regions. Ed

I thought they should stay away from regions/place names for these new ships and go with something a bit fresh. I was totally banking on something like MV Tapas, or MV Rioja :)

• Confused 1

I thought Flamenco and Tarantella , just remembered Tarantella, that is Italy...😄. Any other Spanish dances.  Call it Flamenco and have a shop fiull of those dolls....

Edited by Khaines

I hope the theme does not continue throughout the ship.

Picos de Europa cafe?

Boutique Gijon? 

Cinema Valladolid? :/

On 13/06/2018 at 09:40, TonyMWeaver said:

Brittany Ferries are to name their new ships 'Galicia' and 'Salamanca', they will be joining the fleet in 2021 and 2022 respectively. 

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.cm/brittany-ferries-names-new-ships-galicia-and-salamanca/

Tony both E-Flexer 4 and E-flexer 6 are due in 2021... so far. The latter during Q3 of that year. It's on page one here.

https://www.ferryshippingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/20180530_Ferry-Shipping-News_On-order.pdf

It's interesting that a pax number is given (1000) for No6 but not No4.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jonno said:

Tony both E-Flexer 4 and E-flexer 6 are due in 2021... so far. The latter during Q3 of that year. It's on page one here.

https://www.ferryshippingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/20180530_Ferry-Shipping-News_On-order.pdf

It's interesting that a pax number is given (1000) for No6 but not No4.

Some of the Gross Tonnage of those on order are collosal! Next Irish Ferry, Finnlines & Grimaldi orders! 

Makes Honfleur and E-Flexers look tiny. I assume that is a mistake for the Grimaldi orders - 7724 car capacity?

19 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Makes Honfleur and E-Flexers look tiny. I assume that is a mistake for the Grimaldi orders - 7724 car capacity?

Maybe not. There is no passenger capacity indicated so they may only be car transporters. Ed. 

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

I thought that BF were getting e flexer 3 and 6, if this is correct they are now getting 4 & 6

That's right hence now the year delay. Originally it was believed that 1 & 2 would replace the Liverpool Visentini's, 3 would head to BF and 4 would be used on Holyhead.

14 minutes ago, jonno said:

That's right hence now the year delay. Originally it was believed that 1 & 2 would replace the Liverpool Visentini's, 3 would head to BF and 4 would be used on Holyhead.

So what happens in 2020 then when BF give back BDS?

2 hours ago, hf_uk said:

So what happens in 2020 then when BF give back BDS?

2020? April 2019 you mean, DFDS are getting her back a year early. Etretat goes back early in 2019 so too does Pelican.

Ok, one more time.

BDS, Etretat and Pelican return to their owners during the first quarter of 2019.

Without any further announcements there'll be no freight only service from Poole, no vessel for Le Havre until June and no BDS replacement for two years.

Edited by jonno

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

Well we will see what the new timetable shows in July, however I imagine that an  Etretat extension would have been negotiated at the same time as the eflexer contract

Obviously there is still plenty of time for BF to negotiate extensions for both Etretat and Pelican.

As I've suggested earlier in the thread, it seems realistic to assume these two would be retained for a further two years.  From June next year when Normandie takes over at Le Havre, Etretat would be the ideal 2 year gap filler for BDS, she's actually an upgrade in terms of capacity.

There's even scope for Etretat to cover Spain as soon as BF hand DFDS the keys back for BDS next April. They could use NEX in the interim covering Portsmouth-Le Havre.

Edited by jonno

I specifically mentioned Etretat as Stena RORO own it and is the same company as the eflexer deal is with. I would have expected BF to negotiate it all together. Pelican seems to be owned by a French company. 

Given that the timetable in July will go up to the start of November 2019, I would expect any contracts to be sorted already.

A usually reliable person told me that Etretat is BFs for as long as she’s wanted it would make sense with all the deals being done for Stena to not rock the boat and let BF keep her.