Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer'

3 hours ago, penguin said:

I'm not so sure, the winter edition of "Voyage" hinted at BF looking elsewhere for a Bretagne replacement.

With the rumour being that one of the E-Flexers will replace CF you'd imagine that BF would want to keep a cruise ferry on their flagship Spanish service... into the heart of the elegant city of Santander.

I think you're right, whether the oft mentioned "Bretagne II" is the code for a PA or Bretagne replacement Is possibly conjecture. BF have talked about a €450m tonnage investment, personally I doubt that is the total cost to design & charter Galicia, Salamanca and pay for Honfleur. I assume there is still €150m+ in the kitty. Considering the new build cost for Caen this figure would suggest that the balance isn't enough for a new Spanish cruise ferry. It would cover the cost of a smaller passenger oriented vessel for St Malo.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, penguin said:

I'm not so sure, the winter edition of "Voyage" hinted at BF looking elsewhere for a Bretagne replacement.

All the rumours I’ve heard suggest the same. Pont-Aven has too many cabins for the St-Malo route so it will be cheaper to build a Bretagne 2 than Pont-Aven 2.

Chris

• Like 4

Thing I've noticed about the E flexer...

I thought Stena were having No's 1,2 & 4 due in 2019,2020 & 2021, yes?

Mmm... So, why are the three Stena's already under construction whilst Galicia's keel isn't laid until the middle of January?

Does that mean Stena are having No's 1,2 & 3 due in '19, '20, '20 with Galicia being No 4 and now due in 2021?

Me thinks a Mersey based Visentini replaced by Stena's No1 will be steaming over the horizon to replace BDS for the 12 months pending Galicia. Oh well, at least they are far nicer than Etretat.

Edited by jonno

Mike Louagie at Shipping Summit has updated (10/12/18) their global ship order list which illustrates a 2021 delivery for both BF E-Flexers. This would suggest that Stena have indeed flipped the build schedule.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Stena’s prerogative to change the build order to suit them I’d have thought.

Yes I'd agree to a point although I'd also have thought that BF would have a firmer contract. BF has publicly announced that Galicia will replace BDS in 2020, she's now not arriving until end of Q1 2021, a 6-8 month delay.

Overall BF will need to be busy bee's...

Normandie replacing Etretat is a massive uplift in pax but over seven days it's 154 less return freight movements, add that to the weekly BDS rotation, that's 322 fewer HGV's a week just on the Le Havre route.

You lose both Pelican and BDS on the Spanish crossings and that's the equivalent to 50% of BF's total freight capacity.

All of this on the horizon without considering the possibility of increased slots required post March.

It surely makes sense for CF to replace Connemara on Cork-Santander if BF decides that experiment is a success?  Once she’s been displaced by the e-flexers.  Best sea-keeper for Biscay and an appropriate upgrade to the route.

I think cap finnistere will do Plymouth to Santander if they want to add capacity to the Spanish routes then in my opinion it's a better options because it will give an extra rotation on the Portsmouth to Spanish routes

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Do they want to add capacity to the Spanish sailings?  I wasn’t aware of that.

it was in a article somewhere cant find it now but if they do i would seem an appropriate thing to do 

Edited by Aiden

Pont Aven ant two E-Flexers gives BF 4800 berths in three ships, nearly a 1000 more than they have now (3860). It's the reason why the dedicated car decks on both vessels are being replaced with cabins in order to raise the capacity from 937 to around 1200..

Told today that Galicia now won't be with BF until the summer of 2021, over year after BDS returns to DFDS and 12 months later than planned.

I don't think the Cap' fits the berth at Ringaskiddy. I wouldn't be surprised if a Visentini is the maximum the outriggers and dolphins can accommodate and there is no work planned to extend it during the expansion, the rest is earmarked for another cargo berth.

Pont Aven rarely sails with more than about 2/3rds capacity. I often think the silly number of cabins is a waste of space.

37 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Pont Aven rarely sails with more than about 2/3rds capacity. I often think the silly number of cabins is a waste of space.

By 2/3rds capacity do you mean passenger numbers or cabin occupancy?  Going to Spain we always have a 4 berth for 2 of us, for the extra space, so that's only 50% occupancy.

Brittany Ferries 2019 press pack seems to confirm the date for the both Galicia and Salamanca. Forget 2020 & 2021.

"However, Honfleur isn’t the only new Brittany Ferries ship on the horizon, Brittany Ferries’ €450 million fleet renewal programme will continue with delivery of two brand new ships, Galicia in 2021 and Salamanca in 2022. The 220m-long LNG ready ships are being chartered from Swedish ship-owner Stena RoRo. Both ferries will enter service on the Portsmouth to Spain routes.

Stay tuned to brittanyferriesnewsroom.com for the latest updates on both new ships"

• Thanks 1

So what’s the deal with BDS then?  Has she become available for BF to hang on to for a bit longer?  (At one point it seemed she would already have left the fleet by now, so there must have been some movement.  Does that movement possibly extend to hanging on to her for another couple of years?).  If so, then I wonder whether we might see some investment in her during March refit that could enable BF to take her out of Economie?

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

So what’s the deal with BDS then?  Has she become available for BF to hang on to for a bit longer?  (At one point it seemed she would already have left the fleet by now, so there must have been some movement.  Does that movement possibly extend to hanging on to her for another couple of years?).  If so, then I wonder whether we might see some investment in her during March refit that could enable BF to take her out of Economie?

DFDS wanted to cut a year off her charter and take her back in April this year. In August I posted on the Baie de Seine thread that DFDS had extended the charter of the Grimaldi owned Regina Seaways until 2020 which paved the way for BF to keep BDS for the full term. 

BDS will replace Regina in 2020, she's going back.

As it looks there's no replacement...

18 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Those dates have been stated on Wikipedia for some time.

You'll need to add a link Tony as most of the wiki E-Flexer stuff is wrong, you may have found one which is actually right.

2 hours ago, jonno said:

You'll need to add a link Tony as most of the wiki E-Flexer stuff is wrong, you may have found one which is actually right.

There’s an abundance of dodgy editing on Wikipedia, that’s why it’s best to not rely on it for any facts whatsoever.

• Like 1