Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer'

On 14/06/2018 at 20:28, jonno said:

Tony both E-Flexer 4 and E-flexer 6 are due in 2021... so far. The latter during Q3 of that year. It's on page one here.

https://www.ferryshippingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/20180530_Ferry-Shipping-News_On-order.pdf

It's interesting that a pax number is given (1000) for No6 but not No4.

I only went by what I read on the official press release from Brittany Ferries, they said 2021 and 2022 respectively. 

2 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

I find the different intended uses for them interesting. Will be fascinating to see how the DFDS ship out of Dover will (or wont!) vary from the 2 ships lined up for BF.  I used to get the impression that the two routes had vastly different requirements for ships.

So as previously announced BF are losing the car decks in favour of cabins thus lowering the freight capacity.

It's interesting to read that the article says that No3 is for BF when Stena RoRo have announced that No's 1,2 and 3 are to be deployed on the Irish Sea.

Stena Line confirms plans for its 3 new Irish Sea ships

TUE, JUN 12, 2018 14:30 CET

Stena Line has confirmed that the first of its new RoPax ferries currently under construction in China is planned to enter service on its Holyhead – Dublin route early 2020. The following two is assigned to Liverpool-Belfast.

9 hours ago, jonno said:

So as previously announced BF are losing the car decks in favour of cabins thus lowering the freight capacity.

It's interesting to read that the article says that No3 is for BF when Stena RoRo have announced that No's 1,2 and 3 are to be deployed on the Irish Sea.

Stena Line confirms plans for its 3 new Irish Sea ships

TUE, JUN 12, 2018 14:30 CET

Stena Line has confirmed that the first of its new RoPax ferries currently under construction in China is planned to enter service on its Holyhead – Dublin route early 2020. The following two is assigned to Liverpool-Belfast.

Ah, that would explain it!!!

On 21/06/2018 at 08:54, David Williams said:

Re the question about DFDS, I imagine that they will reserve large areas for a duty free shop for post brexit when we can only bring back a few bottles of wine- I also note from the enclosed article that they are adding a 3rd bow thruster to make docking quicker - https://www.niferry.co.uk/dfds-take-stena-e-flexer-dover-calais/

The DFDS example will be bespoke to DFDS' requirements.  Likewise the Brittany Ferries examples will be different to those for Stena, as we already know.  The entire concept is designed to be flexible after all.  

At present it looks as though the entire series will have capacity for 1000 passengers and crew - for BF to get the required number of cabins without sacrificing the dedicated car deck they would need to remove public spaces which would be less than ideal (and reduce the passenger certificate I assume, unless the plan is for everyone to stay in their cabin for the entire crossing!).  At the end of the day freight isn't going to be turned away in reality as they probably don't need 3,100lm just for freight.  It just means freight will be mixed with cars on the same deck as it often is on many ferries - not much point in them having large almost empty full-height freight decks and an almost full separate car deck which could be used for passenger spaces. They aren't going to be turning away freight as a result unless there is a huge increase in volumes, 3100lm is still a lot more than any current vessel in the BF fleet!  Being a Stena design there will likely be scope for stretching in the future built into the design anyway.

The DFDS example should have more public spaces as I believe it won't have the 175 cabins of the "standard" design, but don't quote me on that ;).  As a result I would expect the layout of the passenger spaces to be different to the other examples.  Figura are still the lead interior architect for Stena RoRo and the yard for all 6 examples, though BF and DFDS are employing their own people to do the final interior design on theirs of course.  It shall be interesting to compare the different variants in service in any case.

[shameless plug] I have an overview of the class here now as the detailed page was getting rather huge!