Andy

BF Confirm Charter of 'E-Flexer'

Is there actually a company called Brittany Ferries?  I was of the understanding that BF was just a marketing brand for the operating companies previously mentioned in the thread.

You may well be right, Gareth. I don't recall seeing BF on any credit card statements. I think it always comes up as something else. BAI perhaps. Ed

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Is there actually a company called Brittany Ferries?  I was of the understanding that BF was just a marketing brand for the operating companies previously mentioned in the thread.

No not in its own right since 1983. It's the group name. If it was the UK you could argue that the group is made up of a private owner operator, (BAI), regional governments (two SPC's) and banking (three EIG's) shipowners. It's why none of the mid to late '90's subsidies or payment deferments were seen as private company state aid. 

Crucially none of the monies for BAI charters or the purchase of the Superfast or Incat have derived from either SPC or the three recognised EIG's. Yes BAI have financed them through the same mutual bank but there is no link to SOMANOR or SOMABRET. 

The French authorities maintain that the group is:

"A national instrument for European planning and a means of satisfying national interests for strategic purposes."

This is interesting the Chinese shipyard that are building the eflexers have been doing sea trials of the ropax that allows the building of the first eflexer to start.

Every time I see an artists impression I get this nagging feeling that the Stena E-Flexer design needs a bigger funnel. Not Dana Anglia style, but maybe about Val de Loire size.