Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

56 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Well the "flagship" question, that has exercised some of us, is addressed on the website.

From the "Plymouth to Spain" page:

"Cruise to Spain in luxury on our flagship cruise ferry, Pont Aven. Taking just 20 hours from Plymouth to Santander, this route is the fastest ferry service to Spain from the UK."

From the "Portsmouth to Spain" page:

"Make a one or two night crossing with a choice of comfortable cabins and unrivalled onboard experience on one of Brittany Ferries flagship ferries."

All clear now?! 🤣

You can be a flagship, and you can be a flagship, everyone can be a flagship!

• Haha 2
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more

And off she goes...

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

Posted Images

• Andy changed the title to Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

The Taberna restaurant serving Spanish tapas sounds great. Plus comfy beds which I guess will be similuar to Stena Hollandica and video on demand too! All very positive.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Andy said:

Details of the Galica have been revealed, including a virtual tour.

Discover more here: https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ships/cruise-ferries/galicia 

I must say that I'm quite surprised (although the name was a giveaway) at just how Spanish the onboard naming conventions/decor are, along with the suggested menus. It seems logical, but also quite a departure from the French heritage/reputation/experience that's been built upon.

• Like 5

It looks like Restaurant Azul could be some sort of hybrid a la carte-self service because it has servery area still. It also looks like Taberna forms an 'overflow' to the Restaurant Azul during the summer. The virtual tour confirms the Taberna is in the location of the Truckers lounge. 

I would quite like to know if there is any difference in facility provision on the Cherbourg run because I am quite eager to do a day trip to Cherbourg on her. 

1 hour ago, georgem7 said:

It looks like Restaurant Azul could be some sort of hybrid a la carte-self service because it has servery area still. It also looks like Taberna forms an 'overflow' to the Restaurant Azul during the summer. The virtual tour confirms the Taberna is in the location of the Truckers lounge. 

I would quite like to know if there is any difference in facility provision on the Cherbourg run because I am quite eager to do a day trip to Cherbourg on her. 

Spanish owned Melia hotels do something similar, you can order off the menu, select from a buffet or a little of both.

Looks nice, light and airy. I guess the whole focus on the Spanish vibe, interiors, names etc. is to really become part of the experience of a vacation in Spain. Like they say, get you in the mood before you get there. Seems reasonable that they would want to cater for this market as it is (was) doing quite well. 

The Azul's concept is a bit special but I'm curious how it will turn out. I wonder how much they will charge you if you want to use the C-Club Lounge without a commodore cabin. Seems like a nice place to escape the crowds on a busy sailing. 

2 hours ago, Ferries In Focus said:

I wonder how much they will charge you if you want to use the C-Club Lounge without a commodore cabin.

£30.

8 hours ago, Ferries In Focus said:

Like they say, get you in the mood before you get there

I guess that's what Irish Ferries try to do too. 

I've never taken the Gosport ferry but dread to think what it's like if that's the industry standard. 

Ed. 

• Haha 1

Nothing wrong with the Gosport Ferry more than adequate for the 3-4 minute crossing across the harbour, only gripe is the cost,but as they say its "cheaper by water" as does save the 20 mile road nightmare round to Pompey having first battled on the A32 out of Gosport (Turk Town" to get to Fareham. 

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I guess that's what Irish Ferries try to do too. 

I've never taken the Gosport ferry but dread to think what it's like if that's the industry standard. 

Ed. 

When it comes to the Gosport Ferry, it's one of the best short crossings. Well run and clean. Although I don't understand why that's been mentioned in this thread.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

When it comes to the Gosport Ferry, it's one of the best short crossings. Well run and clean. Although I don't understand why that's been mentioned in this thread.

Well that's great! It means that Gosport itself has improved immeasurably since I've was last there 20-odd years ago. Ed. 

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well that's great! It means that Gosport itself has improved immeasurably since I've was last there 20-odd years ago. Ed. 

A lot has changed in 20 years, the Gosport Ferry have 3 new vessels for a start.!

• Like 1

I think I am in the minority here.

But it seems people want faster broadband, faster delivery, faster more efficient trains, faster response to queries in fact most things faster.  I am not saying this is a good thing..

So why do BF think people want slower ferries to Spain?. BF might want them for cost reasons and increased spend on board. But the average family with kids going on holiday will  I suspect just want to get there as quickly as possible. Keeping little Johnny  and his sister entertained and fed for the extra time will just cost money. 

This will benefit BF but I cannot see any benefit to customers

It will be interesting to see how bookings compare with CF and PA 

Edited by IanN
added content
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Completely agree Ian.  I think this is a retrograde step (and compromises the USP on which BF’s success to Spain, where others failed, was built).

10 minutes ago, IanN said:

I think I am in the minority here.

But it seems people want faster broadband, faster delivery, faster more efficient trains, faster response to queries in fact most things faster.  I am not saying this is a good thing..

So why do BF think people want slower ferries to Spain?. BF might want them for cost reasons and increased spend on board. But the average family with kids going on holiday will  I suspect just want to get there as quickly as possible. Keeping little Johnny  and his sister entertained and fed for the extra time will just cost money. 

This will benefit BF but I cannot see any benefit to customers

It will be interesting to see how bookings compare with CF and PA 

The economics of operating a ferry is the reason I guess. The cost of fuel goes up exponentially for every knot after 21 knots.