Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

14 minutes ago, Ian Walker said:

As regarding the Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao,  I still favour that route from Portsmouth rather then Plymouth.  As Portsmouth is nearer to where I live.  The question I would like to asked is,  Has there been a lot of people using Portsmouth rather then Plymouth?  Because as Portsmouth is further then Plymouth.  Why would Brittany want to put a new but slower ferry from Portsmouth,  It would had made sense if the newbuilds were switch from Plymouth instead.  I had booked up my next years holiday last week to go from Portsmouth to Bilbao on the Cap and when I come back on the Galacia which I am very much looking forward to.  As the timing looks a lot better.  When I use the crossing before  I travel from Portsmouth down to Santander,  but after arriving in Santander I still had to spend a night at a hotel in Santander before I headed off the next day.   Because what could cause concern for some of us,  If Brittany Ferries deploy the Pont Aven back to Plymouth and use a slower ferry from Portsmouth,  this could land up many switching to Plymouth because its less time on the ferry for some.  The other thing about the Cap  I enjoy traveling on her.  But the only thing I wasn't happy about with her is the restaurant , as they only do the A la cart instead of the buffet, which I prefer the buffet any day.  That is my point.   I wonder if I am talking sense here.

Firstly the new ships are too long for Plymouth for the moment & secondly due to their lower pax capacity it maybe BF's plan to shift more holiday traffic to Plymouth.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

Posted Images

When I often tried to book up a Portsmouth to Spain.  A lot of things were already sold out.  For instance cabins.  So there's  still a demand for many want to travel from Portsmouth instead of Plymouth.

On 24/07/2020 at 13:31, Nick Hyde said:

The economics of operating a ferry is the reason I guess. The cost of fuel goes up exponentially for every knot after 21 knots.

True. PA at 27kts is about as efficiant as the NEX. Ironically I heard that Armorique can hit 28 flat out, and is considerably more fuel efficient than PA, and only has 2 main engines.... but she has no need to go fast, so never will. Her Plymouth > (wait in the sound for 2 hours) > Roscoff timetable must give her an annual average speed of about 6knots :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 25/07/2020 at 20:25, jonno said:

Firstly the new ships are too long for Plymouth for the moment & secondly due to their lower pax capacity it maybe BF's plan to shift more holiday traffic to Plymouth.

Agreed, Plymouth would be well suited as the passenger-port for Spain (with a little investment). Lots of people moan about the extra 4 hours on the ship when they can be whistling up the M5 instead. With regards to the Galacia timings, the 28 hour option can make be really attractive IF it it times properly, arriving in Spain at a sociable time for onwards travel (like the Plymouth - Santander midday arrival does now). However the 32.5 hour ones, 2 - nights onboard are another matter. Not very good for families at all, but great for freight drivers.... Also Pont Aven has more cabins than Galacia and Salamanca combined, so can mop-up a lot of 'family' car fulls of holiday makers peak season. Makes sense really!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, VikingVoyager said:

Anyone laying odds on the UK China relationship deteriorating so quickly that the E-Flexers somehow get caught up in this?!

Not really being serious, money talks.

Plus these are being sold to a Swedish company for charter to a French one !

I've always found it a little odd that Stena is so thoroughly RED and WHITE (Danish colours) when it's a Swedish company. Every time I see a Stena livery I think of the Denmark flag!

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

I've always found it a little odd that Stena is so thoroughly RED and WHITE (Danish colours) when it's a Swedish company. Every time I see a Stena livery I think of the Denmark flag!

That traces back to when Sten Olsson was working out how to sell his new shipping company to Danish day trippers in the 60s. Everything was done to appeal to that market, including the names Jutlandica and Danica which even today are in place over Swedish based ones. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, hhvferry said:

That traces back to when Sten Olsson was working out how to sell his new shipping company to Danish day trippers in the 60s. Everything was done to appeal to that market, including the names Jutlandica and Danica which even today are in place over Swedish based ones. 

That is a bit like BF and Alexis Gourvennec.

He was smart enough to cede some power to the Les Anglais in order to let them operate the marketing, customer service side of the business and make some other decisions like onboard entertainment.

If this had not been done, maybe the trajectory of BF would have been very different. Its branding might have be something like "Ferries BAI". There might have been no English breakfast served, instead just a lot of croissants and orange juice. The entertainment onboard might have been tribute bands to Johnny Hallyday and Vanesa Paradis or Breton folk singers (the latter being not too bad...)

I am still waiting for that Ferry Publications book on the backstory of all this to be published but just like everything else it seems to have been delayed by that Mexican beer virus. 

Edited by zuludelta
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Gary Davies said:

With Galicia so close to delivery and not scheduled to enter service until March 2021, what is she going to be doing between then and now?

I imagine that Le Havre will get suggested

• Haha 6
1 hour ago, Gary Davies said:

With Galicia so close to delivery and not scheduled to enter service until March 2021, what is she going to be doing between then and now?

The delivery voyage will eat up a good month of that time plus then there is training and probably certification and insurance inspections to do. If they rotate training crews through her before she enters service then it will allow them to introduce her sisters ships more easily later on. Ed. 

The clue is that there is a ship that is scheduled to take Galicia’s timetable in November.  In other words, Galicia’s timetable exists in November.  In other words, it will be easy to slot Galicia in early if she is ready to enter service early.  And then the “stand in” ship will be free for other duties.  (Such as, for example, slotting into the role she normally fulfils in November, enabling an old lady to take her usual rest....)

The clue’s all in the timetables 😀😉.

• Like 4
  • TongueOut 1
On 28/07/2020 at 16:45, Gareth said:

The clue’s all in the timetables

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?

• Confused 1

Don’t quite follow what is being suggested is improbable.  But it is a fact that Galicia’s timetable is being operated from November by another ship.  That other ship doesn’t need to follow a schedule in which crossings to Spain are that slow.  (And never has before).  I can think of only one plausible explanation for that, but if there is another one then let’s hear it.

(Only one plausible explanation is the basis of beyond reasonable doubt proof, which is what our courts use to define “truth”).

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Only one plausible explanation is the basis of beyond reasonable doubt proof, which is what our courts use to define “truth”).

That is the criminal definition, the civil one is balance of probabilities - ie more likely than not. However I think that you are probably correct.