Andy

Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

19 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yippee! I should give BF's China office a call to congratulate them but I'm worried I might wing the wong number. 

Ed  

...Oh dear., It's the 35 degree heat... I'll blame the heat.

41 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Pont lost another engine?

Not plausible to predict the date of that in advance - and it magically seems to become ok again when Galicia enters service and Pont moves to Plymouth.

I had thought that a semi-plausible explanation could be to give PA a relatively easy winter and to give those engines a rest from being run at full pelt.  But that theory loses plausibility with the Cherbourg crew change call.  If the plan was firm to run PA to Spain from Portsmouth through that period, then the expectation would be for her crew change port to be Le Havre.  It’s mid-week, when Le Havre is the port of choice rather than Cherbourg.  So the choice of Cherbourg for PA’s crew change call, for me, has only one explanation, that they are running the Galicia timetable in its entirety in anticipation that Galicia may enter service early.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

they are running the Galicia timetable in its entirety in anticipation that Galicia may enter service early.

I agree, her timetable for Spain from November is the same as Galicia's and is very slow, something like 30 hours. PA can do that on one engine.

With two engines Galicia could easily manage 25 or 26 hours. I wonder whether the slower speed is to make the 21 hour crossing from Plymouth particularly attractive to holiday traffic?

I also see that Connemara is fulfilling BDS' old Spanish timetable for a couple of months prior to returning to Ireland.

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

prior to returning to Ireland.

Is there any evidence or corroboration for that yet?  It still seems to be Etretat in the timetables (and the “Ships and Onboard” section of the Irish website not just has Kerry and Etretat in it (of the Vissentinis)).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

I also see that Connemara is fulfilling BDS' old Spanish timetable for a couple of months 

I would have thought that would have a reasonable chance of being cancelled given the other September/ October cancellations

Edited by David Williams

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

Is there any evidence or corroboration for that yet?  It still seems to be Etretat in the timetables (and the “Ships and Onboard” section of the Irish website not just has Kerry and Etretat in it (of the Vissentinis)).

It's Etretat after Kerry on the GB website too.

Gareth my assumption is that Connemara still has 10 months left on her original charter, she's the one BF have a large financial commitment in so again assuming as I do, I still think Connemara has a role to play even if it's just for the said 10 months.

As for DW's comment that it's highly likely that her place on the Spanish timetable may well be scrubbed, fair enough but... wouldn't it have been logical and simple to have removed her at the same time when adding Pont Aven's revised times from November when publishing those for 2021?

Is it too far fetched to consider BF running Etretat from Rosslare to Cherbourg (the SOMANOR charter) more often say on the days Stena Horizon is in Ireland and using Connemara (the BAI charter) for a more focused run to Bilbao? 

8 minutes ago, jonno said:

As for DW's comment that it's highly likely that her place on the Spanish timetable may well be scrubbed, fair enough but... wouldn't it have been logical and simple to have removed her at the same time when adding Pont Aven's revised times from November when publishing those for 2021?

Maybe, but think of the Barfleur, they published November onwards in mid July and only cancelled Sept/Oct a few days ago. I guess that it depends on predicted traffic. I only said reasonable chance !

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

From the first of those images it looks like her port of registry is currently Portsmouth

1 minute ago, Lapper said:

From the first of those images it looks like her port of registry is currently Portsmouth

It is Portsmouth at the moment, but it will change.

41 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Thanks for posting.

Is that some sort of bar/kiosk on the upper deck forward of the funnel, I can’t see anything similar on the Stena versions.

34 minutes ago, Lapper said:

I was told it would be Morlaix.

2 hours ago, nick hall said:

Thanks for posting.

Is that some sort of bar/kiosk on the upper deck forward of the funnel, I can’t see anything similar on the Stena versions.

I think they are containers.

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I think they are containers.

Sorry Tony, I’m not seeing containers. It’s the irregular white canopy type thing I was referring to. I guess all will be revealed soon.

• Like 1

The containers are on the stern but there definitely seems to be some sort of awning on the top deck, perhaps to provide shelter around a bar area. Ed.

• Like 1

Indeed, shelters for the bar area / play area as stated on BF's website.

"What should you do when the sun is shining and the weather is perfect for sailing? Head for deck 10 of course. It’s time to catch some rays!

Our sun deck is the place to be for sun-bathing - and for whale watching. But if you feel like more action, there’s also sports equipment to try. And your kids can have fun too, thanks to Galicia’s outdoor play area. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, nick hall said:

Sorry Tony, I’m not seeing containers. It’s the irregular white canopy type thing I was referring to. I guess all will be revealed soon.

I see, I was looking at the wrong part. This is what it is (Pictured).

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1