Jump to content

Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more

And off she goes...

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, Seashore said:

For "impressive", I also think particularly of Fantasia and Fiesta (the former before Stena really messed with her, Fiesta / Seafrance Cezanne always remained the better ship IMHO)... that double deck forward lounge bar, the spacious reception area with that sweeping double staircase and skylights, the dome, the enormous windows in the aft bar with the skylight, and huge deck space. For architectural features I don't think anything came close - certainly nothing that P&O were operating on the same route - and whilst BF certainly have some impressive features individually, it was the "whole" that made Fantasia & Fiesta stand out. I don't think anything else has really got close to that look since, well not in UK waters, you'd have to go to Scandinavia for anything jaw dropping now.

Yes the concept of Fantasia and Fiesta a whole lot different to P&Os floating service station concept!! Fantasia and her sister also had massive open decks.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hhvferry said:

That staircase was also great if you enjoy unexpected drunken visitors appearing, at speed, into the restaurant from the bar above. It was eventually removed although despite the tale I'm not fully convinced this was the reason.

image.jpeg.34909fe37a5dec0e395f686064592cd9.jpeg

DFDS's evolution from the Dana Regina to Dana Anglia (Pont l'Abbe) in the space of four years is literally the text-book example of how shipowners have always sought to squeeze more in for less (the changes are detailed in the paper 'Car Ferry Design and Development' (1979) by Brian Corner-Walker, DFDS's Chief Superintendent Engineer). The Anglia was an interesting reaction to the oil crisis and how expensive ships like the Dana Regina had become to build and, where the Regina was rather old-fashioned in design the Anglia was ruthlessly rational and in some aspects quite familiar to modern eyes.

Corner-Walker, who had designed all DFDS's car ferries from the England onwards, himself said that it was almost impossible to build another ship like the Dana Regina: "Kay Korbing (the interior designer) was a very good architect indeed, but he was also quite astronomically expensive as all the materials he specified had to be the best imaginable - crystal lights where glass would have sufficed, leather, plate glass and specially commissioned artworks. Unfortunately as the 1970s progressed there was a growing feeling amongst DFDS's directorate that, however beautiful, such expense could not be justified from a business viewpoint".

Fortunately, when he was not chosen to work for DFDS for the Dana Anglia project, Korbing instead found productive work with Tor Line where he designed most of the Tor Britannia and Tor Scandinavia...

So this is what private shipowners have always sought to do: they do things to make money. The standards of the time and the requirements of passengers dictate what they provide and in this sense the Galicia and her sisters are just another rational investment - the interiors are very smart compared to the ships they are replacing but the whole design is an efficient and effective step-forward that should make BF money.

Would you say Bretagne of 1989, is a late 80s equivalent of Dana Regina in terms of quality and design?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

Would you say Bretagne of 1989, is a late 80s equivalent of Dana Regina in terms of quality and design?

I don't think her fitout came close in terms of cost per m², after inflation, compared to the Dana Regina or Winston Churchill, but then it didn't need to. BF were certainly fortunate to find an interior designer who so perfectly were able to bring to fruition what they wanted from a ferry, which was quite unique at the time. The reference ships for Bretagne, apart from Duc de Normandie, were Olympia (POB) and Wellamo and whilst she didn't come up to their standards in many ways, the aesthetic was certainly very different and very distinctively French.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seashore said:

For "impressive", I also think particularly of Fantasia and Fiesta (the former before Stena really messed with her, Fiesta / Seafrance Cezanne always remained the better ship IMHO)... that double deck forward lounge bar, the spacious reception area with that sweeping double staircase and skylights, the dome, the enormous windows in the aft bar with the skylight, and huge deck space. For architectural features I don't think anything came close - certainly nothing that P&O were operating on the same route - and whilst BF certainly have some impressive features individually, it was the "whole" that made Fantasia & Fiesta stand out. I don't think anything else has really got close to that look since, well not in UK waters, you'd have to go to Scandinavia for anything jaw dropping now.

They remain two of my absolute favourite ferries but did go a bit OTT in some respects...

image.png.ee75db224e6e440b5c75400ea86e2212.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The North Sea service were always ahead of the Channel, and still are really even though the options are severely reduced from the 1980s and 1990s climax.

Duc de Normandie was a "cast off" from the North Sea in reality (ie it just didn't fit those routes any more), as was Pont l'Abbe, Quiberon wasn't but was from a similar Nordic market. Then you had P&O running the Olaus (not really cast offs!) and the Super Vikings that were displaced from Felixstowe. Rarely do ships go the other way, the exception being King Seaways, as Val de Loire the best ship BF ever disposed of.

Compare like-for-like routes in terms of crossing times; Portsmouth-Caen vs Harwich-Hoek. The latter have huge cabins with TVs in all of them, a nice if a little bland fit out and good flow. Compare that to the Normandie and MSM with berths for only half the passengers and a somewhat disjointed multi-deck interior, the North Sea still proves it's way ahead of the Channel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hhvferry said:

They remain two of my absolute favourite ferries but did go a bit OTT in some respects...

image.png.ee75db224e6e440b5c75400ea86e2212.png

Was that Fiesta? Wasn't the bar called Samba Bar or something like that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Seashore said:

Was that Fiesta? Wasn't the bar called Samba Bar or something like that?

Fantasia, Samba Bar.

http://www.hhvferry.com/fantnewsamba4oall.jpgfantsambabarlogo.jpg

SNCF/SNAT said a resolute "non!" to having these in the Fiesta's Carnival Bar.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Seashore said:

Compare like-for-like routes in terms of crossing times; Portsmouth-Caen vs Harwich-Hoek. The latter have huge cabins with TVs in all of them, a nice if a little bland fit out and good flow. Compare that to the Normandie and MSM with berths for only half the passengers and a somewhat disjointed multi-deck interior, the North Sea still proves it's way ahead of the Channel.

I think they remain different markets - the Ouistreham ships make three trips a day and the Hoek ones just two and that makes quite a significant difference to how they are operated, how long people are on board and what accommodation the ships need, particularly in terms of cabin berths. Stena also don't have sort of school coach party market that still sails with BF. Great as the Stena Britannica and Stena Hollandica are in many ways, away from their cabins (which were industry leading as built) they don't come close to most BF ships in terms of passenger experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2020 at 17:14, Danim24 said:

In general, the E-Flexers are a very bland and boring design externally and are only fit one purpose, that is for maximum load and better fuel economy

I tend to agree, but I don't think even enthusiasts choose to sail based on a vessel's looks. Certainly not to Spain?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VikingVoyager said:

I tend to agree, but I don't think even enthusiasts choose to sail based on a vessel's looks. Certainly not to Spain?

Now if only we had a good looking ferry like Color Hybrid to Spain.

Screenshot_20200823-170513_Chrome.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nick Hyde said:

And something like thse new Finnlines ships would be amazing for BFs Spain route.

Screenshot_20200823-190434_Facebook.jpg

Ah yes, but some would still complain it looks too much like a Ropax, like Armorique or Honfleur, how could that possibly be suitable for Spain based on its exterior design?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Seashore said:

Ah yes, but some would still complain it looks too much like a Ropax, like Armorique or Honfleur, how could that possibly be suitable for Spain based on its exterior design?

Something in the spirit of this design would be great though. Also look at those public rooms and brilliant views of the sea through massive windows. Sheer class.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with you. Those windows look amazing, very Viking Grace too. I was being tongue in cheek though, the tendency to judge a book by its cover.

Is that year the Superstar class has evolved into? Oh for the hope of some real competition on the channel...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

The ultimate cruise ferries in Europe are Color Magic/Fantasy, Silja Serenade/Symphony, Silja Europa, Viking Grace.

You missed one LQ. Baltic Queen.

Maybe with the arrival of the E-Flexers which will be the main carriers of freight to Spain BF could look at designs similar to the Baltic cruisers when considering Pont Aven's replacement?

6 hours ago, Nick Hyde said:

Now if only we had a good looking ferry like Color Hybrid to Spain.

Problem there Nick is that she has no cabins and is far too slow for the speed obsessed amongst us, 17 knots for them is fatal.

Ulstein have a catalogue of striking designs, some of which would even suit the CI's.

I'm partial to the LNG powered Fjord Line sisters myself.

369_billede_1.jpg.14fbe58364843004a3e492165d5b3ebd.jpg

bergensfjord-lugarer.thumb.jpg.f9732bcfde3e3af00aa738a51e7457b2.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Say ¡hola! to Brittany Ferries’ new Spanish ship Galicia and book to travel in 2021

3.-Galicia-port-side-front-three-quarters-16-9.thumb.jpg.eef980df649ad56651b2bcdbfb488057.jpg

  • Arriving December 2020, Galicia will sail two round trips a week connecting Portsmouth (UK) and Santander (northern Spain)
  • Galicia will be Brittany Ferries’ first ship to present a uniquely Spanish theme and experience for travellers
  • In a another first for Brittany Ferries, one dinner and continental breakfast will be included in ticket price
  • Brittany Ferries says new ship is a commitment to fleet renewal and a statement of intent for a successful future, despite Covid woes
     

Leading Western European travel and holiday company Brittany Ferries has announced that its newest ship Galicia is to take to the seas linking the UK with Spain. And customers can already make bookings for travel aboard the brand-new ship next year.

Weighing in at over 40,000 gross tonnes, Galicia will be one of the largest ships ever to serve the company, and at 215 metres long she will be the longest. The ship is currently nearing completion at the CMJL shipyard in Weihai, China. Sea trials have successfully taken place, and she will shortly embark on the 10,000-mile voyage to Europe. On arrival Galicia will undergo a period of crew training and dry-docking for finishing touches, before welcoming first passengers on board as early as mid-December 2020.

“Fleet renewal is an integral part of our five-year recovery plan and Galicia’s arrival is the result of a commission made in happier times,” said Christophe Mathieu Brittany Ferries CEO. “That is why I am delighted to bring this good news story to our staff, freight drivers and passengers today. Our message is clear: we have invested in beautiful new ships. Given the right support to get through this terrible crisis Brittany Ferries can have a bright future, as well as a proud past.”

Say ‘¡hola!’ to Brittany Ferries’ first Spanish-themed ship
In a first for French-owned Brittany Ferries, Galicia has been built from the keel up with the ship’s Iberian destination at heart. A warm, relaxing and authentic Spanish holiday ambiance will fill the ship’s interiors, with décor, paintings, photography, sculptures and murals inviting passengers to take a journey through the towns, countryside and coastlines of northern Spain, and to delve into the rich artistic and cultural heritage of the region that bears her name. The theme will even extend to the food and drinks served on board, with authentic Spanish dishes and drinks on the menu in bars and restaurants.

One inclusive dinner and breakfast on board
Customers will enjoy a wide range of facilities aboard the new ship including a beach-themed Azul restaurant, the vibrant town-square-inspired Plaza Mayor bar, an authentic Taberna de Tapas, as well as a spacious boutique. Dining aboard will offer great value. And, in a first for Brittany Ferries, one dinner and continental breakfast will be included in the fare for all UK-Spain sailings. 

Comfort comes as standard
Comfort, cosiness and style are central to the design and fit-out of Galicia, with special care and attention given to comfortable furniture, spacious en-suite cabins, large beds, stylish carpets, and chic fabrics. In another first for Brittany ferries the ship will host an exclusive airline-style premium lounge – a warm and welcoming space where drinks and snacks are included in the entrance fee.

Why fly in a tube when you can sail in space?
As with all ships in the Brittany Ferries fleet, Galicia will offer the many benefits afforded by space, with wide corridors and staircases and roomy facilities presenting an airy, easy layout allowing customers to find their way around with ease, and to feel at home right away. Large portholes reveal a vista of seascapes, whilst wide open sundecks will bring passengers sea-air, sunshine and the promise of outdoor exercise and a children’s play area. And at the heart of the ship a huge garage will host spacious parking for over three kilometers of cars and freight vehicles, with easy access for all.

A modern digital travel experience
From the moment customers drive aboard to the moment they disembark, Galicia will deliver a seamless and contemporary travel experience, with a suite of digital innovations and experiences ranging from video-on-demand in every cabin, to interactive kiosks and tablets giving destination information and inspiration. And children haven’t been forgotten, with interactive games and play tables in the ship’s playroom. To take a virtual tour of the ship before she arrives in service, please visit: https://bit.ly/3aoBL8k

Efficiency and environment built-in
The ship has also been designed with the environment and efficiency in mind. Particular attention has been given to Galicia’s fuel-efficient propulsion plant and its long, slender hull and bow, with fine lines giving excellent seakeeping in all weathers, and a significantly lower emissions footprint compared to other ships of a similar size. Her funnel will be fitted with latest closed-loop, exhaust-emission-scrubbers to strip particulate matter (soot) and harmful components, such as sulphur oxides (SOx) from airborne emissions.

Relaxed times, and timings
Timetables have been planned for maximum comfort and convenience for customers, with handy departure and arrival times with plenty of relaxing time aboard to soak up all the sights and richness of travel by sea. Galicia will operate two return trips a week between Portsmouth and Santander, departing Portsmouth on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Santander on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The crossing time is between 28 and 33 hours.

In addition, the ship will offer one weekly round trip between Portsmouth and Cherbourg, with overnight sailings departing Portsmouth on Sundays and Cherbourg on Mondays. Brittany Ferries’ Pont-Aven and Cap Finistère will also continue to sail between the UK and Spain, with up to seven weekly return sailings in total between the two countries.

“The arrival of Galicia will serve as a statement of our confidence in the future of ‘Spain without the plane’,” added Christophe Mathieu. “We started running ferry services from the UK to Spain in 1978, and – in a normal season  they are among our most popular crossings, with around 350,000 passengers per year. Customers know that Spain without the plane means freedom to explore, taking everything you need in your own car, motorhome or bike, and it starts with a fantastic voyage by sea. 

“But this is the very first time in the history of Brittany Ferries that we have designed, themed and decorated a ship around Spain. Galicia is the first in an entirely new class of ship for Brittany Ferries, with two sister ships, Salamanca and Santoñacoming in 2022 and 2023.   We can’t wait to welcome the first customers on board, and to give them a true taste of Spain as they sail towards it in comfort and style.”

For more visit: https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/hola-galicia and for images please visit https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/image_category/galicia/ .

Galicia in figures:

image.png.586f8817650905c442a3c669ada70589.png

Length

214.5m

Breadth

27.8m

Draught

6.4m

Gross tonnage

40,500

Number of decks

10

Number of passenger decks

3

Design speed

22 knots

Passenger capacity

1015

Crew

85

Cabins

343

Pet-friendly cabins

22

Vehicle capacity

3,100 lane metres or 155 trailers

Main engines

2 X 12,600Kw

 

1.-Galicia-starboard-view-front-three-quarters-retouched-hero-shot-scaled.jpg

IMG_8875.JPG

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jonno said:

 

I'm partial to the LNG powered Fjord Line sisters myself.

369_billede_1.jpg.14fbe58364843004a3e492165d5b3ebd.jpg

bergensfjord-lugarer.thumb.jpg.f9732bcfde3e3af00aa738a51e7457b2.jpg

I agree they do look very impressive, I just want to know why neither of them has made the trip to Newcastle yet??! ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andy said:

Say ¡hola! to Brittany Ferries’ new Spanish ship Galicia and book to travel in 2021

3.-Galicia-port-side-front-three-quarters-16-9.thumb.jpg.eef980df649ad56651b2bcdbfb488057.jpg

  • Arriving December 2020, Galicia will sail two round trips a week connecting Portsmouth (UK) and Santander (northern Spain)
  • Galicia will be Brittany Ferries’ first ship to present a uniquely Spanish theme and experience for travellers
  • In a another first for Brittany Ferries, one dinner and continental breakfast will be included in ticket price
  • Brittany Ferries says new ship is a commitment to fleet renewal and a statement of intent for a successful future, despite Covid woes
     

Leading Western European travel and holiday company Brittany Ferries has announced that its newest ship Galicia is to take to the seas linking the UK with Spain. And customers can already make bookings for travel aboard the brand-new ship next year.

Weighing in at over 40,000 gross tonnes, Galicia will be one of the largest ships ever to serve the company, and at 215 metres long she will be the longest. The ship is currently nearing completion at the CMJL shipyard in Weihai, China. Sea trials have successfully taken place, and she will shortly embark on the 10,000-mile voyage to Europe. On arrival Galicia will undergo a period of crew training and dry-docking for finishing touches, before welcoming first passengers on board as early as mid-December 2020.

“Fleet renewal is an integral part of our five-year recovery plan and Galicia’s arrival is the result of a commission made in happier times,” said Christophe Mathieu Brittany Ferries CEO. “That is why I am delighted to bring this good news story to our staff, freight drivers and passengers today. Our message is clear: we have invested in beautiful new ships. Given the right support to get through this terrible crisis Brittany Ferries can have a bright future, as well as a proud past.”

Say ‘¡hola!’ to Brittany Ferries’ first Spanish-themed ship
In a first for French-owned Brittany Ferries, Galicia has been built from the keel up with the ship’s Iberian destination at heart. A warm, relaxing and authentic Spanish holiday ambiance will fill the ship’s interiors, with décor, paintings, photography, sculptures and murals inviting passengers to take a journey through the towns, countryside and coastlines of northern Spain, and to delve into the rich artistic and cultural heritage of the region that bears her name. The theme will even extend to the food and drinks served on board, with authentic Spanish dishes and drinks on the menu in bars and restaurants.

One inclusive dinner and breakfast on board
Customers will enjoy a wide range of facilities aboard the new ship including a beach-themed Azul restaurant, the vibrant town-square-inspired Plaza Mayor bar, an authentic Taberna de Tapas, as well as a spacious boutique. Dining aboard will offer great value. And, in a first for Brittany Ferries, one dinner and continental breakfast will be included in the fare for all UK-Spain sailings. 

Comfort comes as standard
Comfort, cosiness and style are central to the design and fit-out of Galicia, with special care and attention given to comfortable furniture, spacious en-suite cabins, large beds, stylish carpets, and chic fabrics. In another first for Brittany ferries the ship will host an exclusive airline-style premium lounge – a warm and welcoming space where drinks and snacks are included in the entrance fee.

Why fly in a tube when you can sail in space?
As with all ships in the Brittany Ferries fleet, Galicia will offer the many benefits afforded by space, with wide corridors and staircases and roomy facilities presenting an airy, easy layout allowing customers to find their way around with ease, and to feel at home right away. Large portholes reveal a vista of seascapes, whilst wide open sundecks will bring passengers sea-air, sunshine and the promise of outdoor exercise and a children’s play area. And at the heart of the ship a huge garage will host spacious parking for over three kilometers of cars and freight vehicles, with easy access for all.

A modern digital travel experience
From the moment customers drive aboard to the moment they disembark, Galicia will deliver a seamless and contemporary travel experience, with a suite of digital innovations and experiences ranging from video-on-demand in every cabin, to interactive kiosks and tablets giving destination information and inspiration. And children haven’t been forgotten, with interactive games and play tables in the ship’s playroom. To take a virtual tour of the ship before she arrives in service, please visit: https://bit.ly/3aoBL8k

Efficiency and environment built-in
The ship has also been designed with the environment and efficiency in mind. Particular attention has been given to Galicia’s fuel-efficient propulsion plant and its long, slender hull and bow, with fine lines giving excellent seakeeping in all weathers, and a significantly lower emissions footprint compared to other ships of a similar size. Her funnel will be fitted with latest closed-loop, exhaust-emission-scrubbers to strip particulate matter (soot) and harmful components, such as sulphur oxides (SOx) from airborne emissions.

Relaxed times, and timings
Timetables have been planned for maximum comfort and convenience for customers, with handy departure and arrival times with plenty of relaxing time aboard to soak up all the sights and richness of travel by sea. Galicia will operate two return trips a week between Portsmouth and Santander, departing Portsmouth on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Santander on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The crossing time is between 28 and 33 hours.

In addition, the ship will offer one weekly round trip between Portsmouth and Cherbourg, with overnight sailings departing Portsmouth on Sundays and Cherbourg on Mondays. Brittany Ferries’ Pont-Aven and Cap Finistère will also continue to sail between the UK and Spain, with up to seven weekly return sailings in total between the two countries.

“The arrival of Galicia will serve as a statement of our confidence in the future of ‘Spain without the plane’,” added Christophe Mathieu. “We started running ferry services from the UK to Spain in 1978, and – in a normal season  they are among our most popular crossings, with around 350,000 passengers per year. Customers know that Spain without the plane means freedom to explore, taking everything you need in your own car, motorhome or bike, and it starts with a fantastic voyage by sea. 

“But this is the very first time in the history of Brittany Ferries that we have designed, themed and decorated a ship around Spain. Galicia is the first in an entirely new class of ship for Brittany Ferries, with two sister ships, Salamanca and Santoñacoming in 2022 and 2023.   We can’t wait to welcome the first customers on board, and to give them a true taste of Spain as they sail towards it in comfort and style.”

For more visit: https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/hola-galicia and for images please visit https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/image_category/galicia/ .

Galicia in figures:

image.png.586f8817650905c442a3c669ada70589.png

Length

214.5m

Breadth

27.8m

Draught

6.4m

Gross tonnage

40,500

Number of decks

10

Number of passenger decks

3

Design speed

22 knots

Passenger capacity

1015

Crew

85

Cabins

343

Pet-friendly cabins

22

Vehicle capacity

3,100 lane metres or 155 trailers

Main engines

2 X 12,600Kw

 

1.-Galicia-starboard-view-front-three-quarters-retouched-hero-shot-scaled.jpg

IMG_8875.JPG

Looks a lot better than the render. Compared to a lot of modern things looks quite smart. Looking forward to a sailing on her , eventually!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DorsetWillsy said:

Looks a lot better than the render. Compared to a lot of modern things looks quite smart. Looking forward to a sailing on her , eventually!

Yes, the bow definitely looks sleeker and the stern end of the superstructure less monolithic. What is deceptive is her size and length, especially out of context and at sea, and given that Galicia is stated as 40,500 GRT and Pont-Aven is 40,859 GRT then there's not a huge difference in their internal volume.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...