Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more

And off she goes...

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

Posted Images

Impressive film, thanks a lot for posting. It is amazing just how efficient modern hull forms are with hardly any wash along the side of the vessel.

Towards the end you can get a better idea of where the bar is and how the side windows look out onto the lifeboats!

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

Impressive film, thanks a lot for posting. It is amazing just how efficient modern hull forms are with hardly any wash along the side of the vessel.

Towards the end you can get a better idea of where the bar is and how the side windows look out onto the lifeboats!

Possibly assisted by the lack of speed😜

I'm not a great fan of the current BF livery but whoever was given responsibility for applying it to the funnel of this ship has done a very good job with what is, let's be honest, a dumpy mess of a thing to begin with.

The Stena livery and its straight lines emphasises the horizontal which makes it look really squat on their ships. Here the non-standard addition of the vertical line at the back and outlining the top manages to incorporate the deckhouse at the base of the funnel into the whole and is very effective at disguising the dumpiness. I'd guess this was the work of AIA who as well as the interiors were responsible for the livery application on earlier ships (with Normandie being their best work I think). It shows how the input of even a small amount of time from professionals designers can pay off; what a shame they didn't bother when applying this livery to the rest of the fleet.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Bf Bretagne said:

Looking at the stern, will she be a double decker loader ??    But there's no linkspan at Santander which is odd IMO.

She'll most likely use Berth 2 in Portsmouth too as Berths 3 & 4 are too short.

The stern does look like it has a drop down extension probably to make it compatible with a double deck linkspan, most likely some form of future-proofing although it does not seem to be a feature on Stena Estrid or Stena Edda.

Talking of the Stena Line versions, and funnels, it looks like there is an additional deckhouse on Galicia's stern. This does not appear on the Stena versions as that space does not exist (it's thin area where it's sitting and the deck it's sitting on whilst below is the open car deck) so I'm wondering whether it's additional air handling kit for all the extra cabins on deck 7 (which is normally car deck) and the extra cabins on deck 8 below it (the windows in that section look smaller for some reason?). I did think it could be something to do with the scrubber system but that's a long funnel already that probably houses it and Stena's have scrubbers too IIRC.

Deck-house.thumb.jpg.3ad6280ee70623096519ec56dde97666.jpg

25 minutes ago, Seashore said:

the windows in that section look smaller for some reason?

Could be crew cabins, on the Pont Aven aft on deck 5 the windows are smaller where the crew have cabins.

4 hours ago, Chef said:

Could be the dog house , ( kennels ) .

Very good point!

They're on the passenger car deck on deck 7, just before the passenger areas, on the Stena examples... of course that area is cabins on Galicia.

The BF website says that the pet friendly cabins are on deck 7 https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/ships/cruise-ferries/galicia/pets/large-kennel but maybe the info isn't quite right, or our guess is wrong.

It looks like the Commodore Suites are on deck 9, the top cabin deck, which would be consistent with where 3 of them are on the Stena ships (theres a further 3 on the Stenas the deck below).

Depends how well she, and her sisters although they’re LNG powered do, and what the market is like, and whether something else has come along, and whether Stena gets a better offer, and whether BF are still around.

The interior definitely looks “very Stena” from that virtual tour, same style of seats, similar treatments inside, just the colours have changed; not expecting her to be too different from the Stena ships except for the extra cabins, the shop in the coffee shop area on Stena, and the enhanced top deck space.

On the Stena version there's a sizable area behind the Stena plus lounge on the port side which they call the living room. I haven't seen what BF are using this space for which leads me to believe it will just be a seating area with little imagination put in. The space looks big enough for a bar or cafe type outlet which would be a useful addition to a fairly basic fit out.

10 hours ago, Seashore said:

Talking of the Stena Line versions, and funnels, it looks like there is an additional deckhouse on Galicia's stern.

I think you'll find that's part of of a stairwell leading down towards the cabins.

I wondered that too. It looks like the Galicia reclining seat lounge goes where Hugge Lounge is on Stena. In the CGI tour you can see through the frosted windows into what is the Living Room on Stena, so maybe they keep it open?

I was surprised when the truckers lounge became the tapas restaurant, I wondered whether the truckers lounge/restaurant goes where the Stena Outlet is (backs onto the galley) or in the space by the C-Lounge, but my assumption is they’d try to make Deck 8 into the more “premium” deck with the bar, Commodore lounge and tapas restaurant. Perhaps as you say we’re getting a simple “reading room” like on Armorique? It’s already close to the bar although the loos are in the way. They need somewhere to put the children’s play room though if it’s not downstairs in the self service?

2 hours ago, Seashore said:

but my assumption is they’d try to make Deck 8 into the more “premium” deck with the bar, Commodore lounge and tapas restaurant.

I think many of the premium cabins are on deck 9 if the cabin numbers are anything to go by, mind you I don't know how many suites are on board as the numbers we have 0985 & 0935.

The included breakfast and dinner can be had in either the Azul or Taberna restaurants.

It looks like there are 3 suites in about the same place as the Stena ships on deck 9.

In the video you can see the two outboard ones with a large circular porthole at the end of the superstructure, and the stern on views show a similar large circular porthole midships just to starboard of the funnel area looking out astern across the deck. There’s additional passenger access doors along that deck which are the 3x doors directly from these cabin plus the doors for regular passenger access to the deck 9 cabin corridors.

I do wonder how often on the Stena ships other passengers try the door, locked or otherwise, to those cabins.