Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

Posted Images

S

Just now, hf_uk said:

Sounds highly dubious. CF sticks out well past the mono-pole. And Gal is +16m on her (+31m on PA).

Shame really. Bet BF wish in the current climate more ships were Plymouth-friendly. They could run them shorter and slower and save a lot on fuel for some routes, especially freight-heavy ones which are not really too bothered about departure location.

Millbay berth is only advertised as 200m by ABP. But then again, Plymouth is also advertised as a rich historic venue, as opposed to a dump :/ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
22 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

It's hardly surprising, I expect 'Galicia' will trial the berths in all the ports served by Brittany Ferries, although Poole may not be an option.

Will she fit Roscoff? If so sailing from Plymouth in place of PA becomes a possibility, she couldn't do Cork but could sail to Rosslare.

1 minute ago, Solo said:

Will she fit Roscoff? If so sailing from Plymouth in place of PA becomes a possibility, she couldn't do Cork but could sail to Rosslare.

Indeed... a Roscoff - Rosslare - Plymouth winter triangular rotation would be interesting.... providing a direct IE > SW UK link for the first (?) time. Perhaps a post brexit spinner!

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Indeed... a Roscoff - Rosslare - Plymouth winter triangular rotation would be interesting.... providing a direct IE > SW UK link for the first (?) time. Perhaps a post brexit spinner!

Part of an article from today’s “Plymouth Live” with statements attributed to a “Brittany Ferries spokesman”

Brittany Ferries' huge new Spanish-themed vessel Galicia will be arriving in Plymouth later this year and the city could see two giant sister ships following her in the next three years.

The Galicia comes into service in December 2020  despite the firm having to lay up ships due to UK-imposed coronavirus quarantines.

Customers are already able to make bookings on the 40,0000-gross-tonnes behemoth, which will connect Portsmouth and Santander, in northern Spain, with two round trips a week. But before entering service the vessel - one of the largest ships to serve the company, and, at 215 metres, the longest – will be coming to Plymouth for trials. It will also be to see if the ferry can fit into the port at Millbay, which means the company might then use its two under-construction sister ships to operate out of Plymouth.

Plymouth-headquartered Brittany Ferries said the new ship represents a commitment to its fleet and a statement of intent for a successful future - despite Covid woes. It is part of a 550million-euro fleet renewal programme which also includes sister ships Salamanca and Santona, due to enter service in 2022 and 2023. And Brittany Ferries bosses said the arrivals are a vote of confidence in the business and Plymouth, which “will always remain a key port”, despite the setbacks of the coronavirus era.

The company is preparing to temporarily lay up two ships and slash services, affecting thousands of passengers,  ----   But none of this will stop the arrival of Galicia, the firm stressed. The ship is currently nearing completion at the CMJL shipyard in Weihai, China. Sea trials have successfully taken place in the Far East, and she will shortly embark on the 10,000-mile voyage to Europe.

On arrival Galicia will undergo a period of crew training and dry-docking for finishing touches, before welcoming first passengers on board as early as mid-December 2020. But before it can she will be put through her paces off Plymouth.

“Galicia’s sisters Salamanca and Santona are both on course,” a Brittany Ferries spokesperson said. “They are currently slated to operate from Portsmouth, but Galicia will have sea trials in Plymouth later this year to check that this class of ship is compatible with the port so it is possible that they could serve Plymouth. “Plymouth was our first UK port, in 1973, it’s our UK headquarters, and will always remain as a key port in the Brittany Ferries network.”

In addition to two return trips a week between Portsmouth and Santander, the ship will offer one weekly round trip between Portsmouth and Cherbourg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Millbay berth is only advertised as 200m by ABP. But then again, Plymouth is also advertised as a rich historic venue, as opposed to a dump :/ 

To be fair there’s some nice historic parts of Plymouth had a nice pre sailing weekend there soaking up the atmosphere there at a music festival lots of good food and a nice atmosphere , the problem is there’s not many decent hotels and the port is a shambles ok to sail out of but wether it’s due to bad design or lack of customs border force it’s a disgrace to return to.

50 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

To be fair there’s some nice historic parts of Plymouth had a nice pre sailing weekend there soaking up the atmosphere there at a music festival lots of good food and a nice atmosphere , the problem is there’s not many decent hotels and the port is a shambles ok to sail out of but wether it’s due to bad design or lack of customs border force it’s a disgrace to return to.

Yep.  The shambles of HM Customs there plus the road network there means I give it a serve now and prefer to do extra driving in France or Spain and benefit from Portsmouth.  (I suspect this has been discussed once or two before here)

Edited by ZinedineBiscan
  • Like 1

Well it’s pretty obvious they want to use a sister ship of Galicia at Plymouth so they can stop using Pont there move her to StMalo full time and retire Bretagne, can’t really see why no one else has mentioned it. 😉

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Well it’s pretty obvious they want to use a sister ship of Galicia at Plymouth so they can stop using Pont there move her to StMalo full time and retire Bretagne, can’t really see why no one else has mentioned it. 😉

I think a lot of us have been thinking that but we're told the Flexers won't fit the ports needed Plymouth, Roscoff and Cork.

8 minutes ago, Solo said:

I think a lot of us have been thinking that but we're told the Flexers won't fit the ports needed Plymouth, Roscoff and Cork.

All 3 of those ports now seem to aimed at leisure traffic from BF point of view and are seasonal, I would have thought that Rosslaire routes fo Spain and Cherbourg would be more appropriate.

45 minutes ago, Solo said:

I think a lot of us have been thinking that but we're told the Flexers won't fit the ports needed Plymouth, Roscoff and Cork

After the Galicia has completed berthing trials in Plymouth, if they are a sucess, there will be plenty of time to carry out berth extension works prior to the next two flexers arriving in 2022/23.

I wonder if Galicia will be doing berthing trials in Bilbao too?

The current 2021 timetables have more visits to Bilbao than Santander:

4 to Santander per week (2 on Galicia from Portsmouth, 2 on Pont-Aven from Plymouth)

7 to Bilbao per week (3 on Cap Finistere from Portsmouth, 2 on Pelican from Poole, 2 on Etretat from Rosslare)

So clearly if Salamanca is to replace CF then she'll need to fit in Bilbao too, although I'm assuming there's no issues there given the comparable length with CF already and the huge length of the quay.

Bilbao is primarily a freight port really. I don't think its required to slot galacia in there too at the moment. It has quite a lot of berth traffic from the 'lesser' bf ships still too. No double level span still either. All the galacia punters will be coming over with their inclusive food etc. In my opinion what makes sense is leave galacia for pompey to santander. Allowing Pont to serve plymouth in a very attractive offering of approaching half the time of some of the 2 night sailings for families etc. Maybe bilbao for one of the next flexers when they arrive... but to establish a solid schedule from pompey to santander and back twice weekly with the new ship and its offerings seems sensible

Stena RoRo takes delivery of GALICIA, charters her out immediately to Brittany Ferries

Two weeks after a pre-delivery ceremony was held by the CMI Jinling Weihai Shipyard, Stena RoRo officially took delivery of GALICIA, the third E-Flexer, in the early hours of 3 September.

Per Westling, Stena RoRo's managing director, accepted the vessel while seated in his Gothenburg office in the company of Brittany Ferries CEO Christophe Mathieu. In conjunction with the virtual hand-over of the third E-Flexer to Stena RoRo, GALICIA was taken on long-term bareboat charter by Brittany Ferries.

Brittany Ferries has hired a crew from Stena AB subsidiary Northern Marine to bring GALICIA home, after which the 214.5m long and 27.8m beam ro-pax ferry will switch to the French flag. On arrival in Europe following her 10,000-nautical-mile voyage, GALICIA will undergo a period of crew familiarization and drydocking before being introduced in mid-December.

Equipped with two in-line exhaust gas scrubbers, GALICIA has a capacity of 3,100 freight lanemetres and 1,015 passengers. The deckhouses on decks 7 and 8 have been extended to further adapt the vessel for its overnight services with a total of 1,233 beds in 343 passenger cabins.

GALICIA will operate twice weekly between Portsmouth and Santander with crossing times varying between 28 and 33 hours. In addition, the vessel will make a weekly Portsmouth-Cherbourg roundtrip. Flagship PONT-AVEN and CAP FINISTERE will continue to serve the UK-Spain market, guaranteeing up to seven crossings per week operated by the three ro-paxes. Additionally, the dedicated freighter PELICAN offers twice weekly sailings between Poole and Bilbao.

Stena RoRo has six more E-Flexers on order at the CMI Jinling Weihai Shipyard: three ships, including two lengthened versions, will be operated by Stena Line, one will be long-term bareboat chartered by DFDS for Calais-Dover service, and two more – the SALAMANCA and SANTOÑA, which are due for delivery in 2022 and 2023 – will be long-term bareboat chartered by Brittany Ferries. These ships will be similar to GALICIA, yet will be LNG-powered.

(Shippax)

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Not sure if this has been asked before but is there a reason why Galicia is not LNG powered when the others are?  I think it's been said she could be converted but I wondered if it makes her easier to use on other routes, where LNG refuelling is not available.

26 minutes ago, colinschandler said:

Good question, i may be wrong as i am not an expert so don't shout at me, but wasn't Honfleur  LPG designed to be fueled?.

The honfleur was designed for lng fuel.

now the contract has been cancelled she won’t be joining the fleet.

stena roro design their vessels with Stena flexibility in mind.