Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

It’s normally more than a few hours, and sometimes even a few days.  Having said that, Thames Estuary is a bit different from the open sea, and is not somewhere to drift or potter (unless it’s a long way out, past the Sunk).

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

Posted Images

Anyway, we’ll see.  There’s still no sign of one of the tanker’s going alongside Galicia.  She does have a vessel in attendance, but it’s classified as a “port tender”.  Not sure whether that means pilot, tug, or something else.

(Edit:  Might it be something to do with personnel transfer?  Maybe offloading yard personnel who stayed onboard for the short journey to check all was in order?)

34 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It’s normally more than a few hours, and sometimes even a few days.  Having said that, Thames Estuary is a bit different from the open sea, and is not somewhere to drift or potter (unless it’s a long way out, past the Sunk).

The few ships that do drift prior to entering the Thames Estuary tend to do so north of the South Falls Head buoy, plenty of space, deep water and clear of the SW lane. But most come to anchor, even for 3 hours. If they have plenty of notice they may slow steam, but berth delays are normally short notice.

Edited by Danim24
7 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

But most come to anchor, even for 3 hours. If they have plenty of notice they may slow steam, but berth delays are normally short notice.

Yes exactly.  Once you’re in one of the channels, there’s really no option but to anchor if there’s a delay in availability of the berth.

22 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Once you’re in one of the channels, there’s really no option but to anchor if there’s a delay in availability of the berth.

No channels around the Falls Gap or prior to the Tongue Anchorage.

Anyway, tender 'Hang Shun 5 Hao' alongside Galicia now.

Edited by Danim24
1 hour ago, Danim24 said:

Anyway, tender 'Hang Shun 5 Hao' alongside Galicia now.

Yes, this is the vessel I mentioned above as the “port tender”.  She’s been alongside for several hours now.  As far as I can tell, she’s not been shuttling back and forth between the ship and the shore, so my personnel transfer theory is probably wide of the mark.

6 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Logically it will be somewhere like Singapore

From marinetraffic, after the last post

Reported ETA: 2020-09-20 11:00 LT (UTC +8)
Calculated ETA: 

••••••••••

Calculated ETA at: 

••••••••••

Predictive ETD: 

••••••••••

Reported Destination: SINGAPORE
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Yep, Singapore in about 6 days’ time.  Looking at the map, getting to Singapore looks like about a third of the distance from starting point to the Suez Canal.

Singapore is the next port of call, arriving on Sunday (ETA: 03:00 UK Time), her first European call is Algeciras but there will be a "number of calls" before she reaches the Suez Canal.

If 'Galicia' was to sail non-stop to Algerciras from Qingdao, she would take around 18 to 20 days. Obviously, she has her slot booked for the Suez Canal.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 2

I did ask someone else about the calls that 'Galicia' would stop at en route to Europe, although no ports were mentioned other than Singapore and Algeciras, the wording "A few nuggets" was used. I suspect that there will be some unusual calls before she reaches the Suez Canal.

3 hours ago, Lapper said:

One would imagine a call at Galle to pick up some "reinforcements" for the trip through the Gulf of Aden...

Stena Estrid and Stena Edda both hung about outside Galle for a time and it looked like the security reinforcements joined by launch or some other seaborne vessel.

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Galicia' is now back in range, she is approximately 100nm north/west of Keelung, Taiwan. ETA in Singapore is still scheduled for 03:00 UK Time on Sunday.

Well that is your site blocked for mentioning the T word !

I thought that it was due at 04:00 UK time, however I am sure that it will be early.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

I thought that it was due at 04:00 UK time, however I am sure that it will be early.

Due at 11:00 local time, Singapore is 8 hours ahead of the UK, which makes the arrival 03:00 UK time.

4 hours ago, David Williams said:

This is correct. Singapore doesn't do Daylight Savings so is 7 hours ahead of BST and 8 ahead of UTC.

20 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

This is correct. Singapore doesn't do Daylight Savings

It’s practically on the Equator, so there’s virtually no such thing as summer.  Daylight savings doesn’t arise as an issue.