Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And off she goes...

She's  in...

Some more

Posted Images

(Actually, Suez is listed as 2 hours ahead of UTC, so only 1 hour ahead of BST.  So the ETA at Suez is 1300 BST on 3 October.)

Too late for the northbound convoy that day, so presumably (?) her transit of the canal is intended for 4 October.

On 22/09/2020 at 13:46, Gareth said:

Do you know how far up the Red Sea they stay on board for?

The HRA is currently up to 15'N (I think, although it recently reduced, so I might be wrong) – last January, we had a RDV with an armed response team around 16'N. But you're right, David, I guess it all depends on the company chosen.

18 hours ago, scarlton said:

A few years ago those slots would depend on how many packets of cigarettes you could offer the pilot.

It hasn't changed all that much today, scarlton 😂

Edited by BAI4
  • Haha 1

There is another new passenger ferry on a delivery voyage close to Galicia at the moment and heading for Galway Bay , the 40 metre 400 passanger Saoirse na Farraige  going via South Africa as deck cargo aboard the heavy lift ship Svenja .

Edited by Chef
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, merc said:

I wonder if Bumboats still exist for passage through the Suez?   I'm going back 60 odd years since I went through on the MV Bremen & the MV Schwabenstien.

That must have been a great experience very envious.

Ian

9 minutes ago, Chef said:

There is another new passenger ferry on a delivery voyage close to Galicia at the moment and heading for Galway Bay , the 40 metre 400 passanger Saoirse na Farraige  going via South Africa as deck cargo aboard the heavy lift ship Svenja .

Here's a photo of her. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/C7pEjcNgCrPjk1pC7

What does that name mean? I assume it's nothing to do with our friend Nigel! 😉

Ed

10 hours ago, merc said:

I wonder if Bumboats still exist for passage through the Suez?   I'm going back 60 odd years since I went through on the MV Bremen & the MV Schwabenstien.

I had no idea they were called that, interesting choice of name! 

Did a bit of research to see what they were - and low and behold they do still exist and come on board. Selling cheap souvenirs: magnets, postcards, little ornaments etc. 

We confined them to a tender lounge; stop them doing some “shopping” of their own 😉

On 24/09/2020 at 16:57, IanN said:

That must have been a great experience very envious.

Ian

Yes my Father was a civilian working in Singapore 1955 to 1967, we as family went out on the Blue Funnel line Alcenos, Liverpool to Singapore via Suez .  Then home on leave twice on the two Norddeutscher Lloyd boats.  Still remember it even though I am now 71.  Even saw one or two abandoned German tanks along the canal that had been sand blasted by desert winds 10 years on from the end of WW2. Oh and off topic, we also flew Singapore to London in a BOAC Bristol Britannia took I think about 36 hours albeit with 7 stops.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, BAI4 said:

I had no idea they were called that, interesting choice of name! 

Did a bit of research to see what they were - and low and behold they do still exist and come on board. Selling cheap souvenirs: magnets, postcards, little ornaments etc. 

We confined them to a tender lounge; stop them doing some “shopping” of their own 😉

Also, I wonder if the Gully Gully men still exist at the beginning of the canal ?

22 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Galicia is approaching the coast of Sri Lanka this morning.

Perhaps she could pick up a consignment of PG Tips for me on the way past. 

I assume she'll be doing precautionary berthing trials in Brest in about a month's time so I could pop up there to collect my stock.

Ed. 

• Haha 1

She’s heading quite close in.  I’d estimate probably about 20 miles from the coast now, and heading to pass the peninsular at Matara no more than about 5 miles off.  Presumably she will be picking up her sea marshalls - don’t know whether she needs to anchor to do that or whether they can board whilst under way.  I suppose it might depend on what sort of equipment they have to bring with them?

7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

She’s heading quite close in.  I’d estimate probably about 20 miles from the coast now, and heading to pass the peninsular at Matara no more than about 5 miles off.  Presumably she will be picking up her sea marshalls - don’t know whether she needs to anchor to do that or whether they can board whilst under way.  I suppose it might depend on what sort of equipment they have to bring with them?

Yes it probably depends whether they bring a couple of pea shooters or rocket propelled grenades....😂

Chris

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps she could pick up a consignment of PG Tips for me on the way past. 

I assume she'll be doing precautionary berthing trials in Brest in about a month's time so I could pop up there to collect my stock.

Ed. 

If you ask nicely Ed they might bring you back some proper tea and not the dusts and fannings (generally known as rejects of the manufacturing process) that end up in most popular branded tea bags. We visited Sri Lanka 10 years ago, fabulous country and would love to return one day...

Chris

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Yes it probably depends whether they bring a couple of pea shooters or rocket propelled grenades....😂

Chris

As long as they keep my tea safe they can bring whatever they want. 

12 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Ah, just changed course to stay about 20 miles offshore.

Hmm! We mentioned bribes earlier in the week. Do you think if I bung BF some cash they could change course?  No, scrub that idea! They already have £50 of my hard-earned in their accounts. How much does fuel cost per mile? 

Ed. 

• Gareth pinned this topic