Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And off she goes...

She's  in...

Some more

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

How much does fuel cost per mile? 

Ed. 

Well that's an interesting question, but going on a conversation I had with the Chief Engineer of WB Yeats recently when he told me how much she consumed on a trip from Dublin to Cherbourg I've done a quick calculation and come up with 1 tonne of fuel for every 5 miles travelled and I don't think this is too far out. Galicia may of course be more fuel efficient, has 2 engines rather than 4, but at 300 dollars per tonne I would advise you get Cabin Girl to sew some extra deep pockets into your trousers Ed....😂

Chris 

15 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Well that's an interesting question, but going on a conversation I had with the Chief Engineer of WB Yeats recently when he told me how much she consumed on a trip from Dublin to Cherbourg I've done a quick calculation and come up with 1 tonne of fuel for every 5 miles travelled and I don't think this is too far out. Galicia may of course be more fuel efficient, has 2 engines rather than 4, but at 300 dollars per tonne I would advise you get Cabin Girl to sew some extra deep pockets into your trousers Ed....😂

Chris 

That's southbound of course. When they had home to Ireland full of with cars packed to the rafters with Cherbourg's finest they must burn a bit more. Ed. 

• Haha 1

Easy to track with any tracker as there are so few passenger ships moving in the ocean at present, she appears to be the only passenger vessel on the route to the Red Sea. Sad really.

I also got thinking about how the other 2 ships will bunker on their delivery voyages and saw that the main bunkering ports can now cope or are planning to cope with ship to ship LNG transfer which is impressive https://sea-lng.org/why-lng/bunkering/

Edited by David Williams

I know, back in the early days of the piracy problem in the Gulf of Aden, ships used to be allowed to turn their AIS off when transiting the danger area.  I don’t know whether that is still the case or not, but if so then I wonder whether there may be other passenger ships that we can’t see?  And also whether Galicia will cut hers at some point?

Mind you, plenty of ships seem to track through the area with their AIS on, so maybe the problem is now sufficiently under control that that concession is no longer necessary.

9 hours ago, Gareth said:

I know, back in the early days of the piracy problem in the Gulf of Aden, ships used to be allowed to turn their AIS off when transiting the danger area.  I don’t know whether that is still the case or not, but if so then I wonder whether there may be other passenger ships that we can’t see?  And also whether Galicia will cut hers at some point?

Mind you, plenty of ships seem to track through the area with their AIS on, so maybe the problem is now sufficiently under control that that concession is no longer necessary.

I don’t think that the HRA in question has any specific rules or regulations allowing AIS to be turned off. Anyone know for sure? 

SOLAS Chapter V (Safety of Navigation) states that all vessels with AIS fitted (which passenger ships must) shall maintain its operation at all times.

When I passed through in January, I wasn’t aware of any such extraordinary regs. That said, SOLAS not applying to navy ships - they turn there’s on and off like light switches ha! 

7 hours ago, BAI4 said:

I don’t think that the HRA in question has any specific rules or regulations allowing AIS to be turned off. Anyone know for sure? 

SOLAS Chapter V (Safety of Navigation) states that all vessels with AIS fitted (which passenger ships must) shall maintain its operation at all times.

When I passed through in January, I wasn’t aware of any such extraordinary regs. That said, SOLAS not applying to navy ships - they turn there’s on and off like light switches ha! 

Must have been a short-lived exemption then.  It was a decade ago, or more, that I was aware of it as a contingency, at the height of the time when vessels were being captured.  Probably before the sea marshal service was so well established and vessels pretty much had to run the gauntlet on their own.

Sounds like we can expect Galicia’s AIS to be broadcasting throughout.

Indeed.  And on the edge of the HRA.  Should be well on her way to the turn in towards the Gulf of Aden by tomorrow night.

I’ve been wondering, Tony.  Could the handover to BF crew (and corresponding change of registry to the French ensign) be slated to happen during the call at Algericas?  I presume they will want to undertake berthing trials in Santander on the way past, and that berthing trials really need to be at the hands of the BF crews to be fully meaningful?

19 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Could the handover to BF crew (and corresponding change of registry to the French ensign) be slated to happen during the call at Algericas?

Not as far as I know, I think she's only in Algerciras for fuel. I'm still waiting to hear from my pilot mate to see if the call to Santander is going to happen but it would make sense to trial there first. It's only guess work at the moment.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Santander would be a good place for a swap of flag and crews, the paint job can easily be done in Santander. 

Yes, but it would be useful for the crew to have some workup time aboard beforehand. Of course there may already be engineering crews on the ship - perhaps those who were on Honfleur wandering around with tablets and tugging on cables. Maybe they could do do a switcheroo with the security team coming off in Djibouti and a crew going on. I reckon the corporate jet could make it that far with a couple of refueling stops. Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

Dry docking?  Why do they need to do that?  (She’s brand new!).  Also....surprised she’ll fit the dry dock at Astander.   But I guess that must be an indication that reflagging will happen in Santander.  

Presumably then, after the dry docking, the Stena crews can take the BF crews out for a spin in the bay (sorry, sea trials) to familiarise themselves with the ship, and then the BF crews can carry out the berthing trials at the BF berth in Santander before taking the ship to Portsmouth.

5 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

According to Christophe Mathieu in his latest update, Galicia will arrive earlier than anticipated. 

She’s certainly making very good progress.  Assuming she transits the canal on 4 October, she could be in Algericas by 7 October and Santander on the 8th.....

8 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Also....surprised she’ll fit the dry dock at Astander.

Dry Dock No. 2 is 230 metres (Length), 32 metres (Width). Galicia will fit with room to spare.

If she does Algerciras on October 7th, you are looking at least 2 more days to Santander, if not 3.

I can't see her doing Port Said to Algerciras in less than 3 days.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

I agree Port Said to Algericas will take 3 days.  That could get her there late on the 7th.  Refuelling maybe a good 8 hours.  Then the passage round to Santander shouldn't take much more than 24 hours.  Maybe 30.  Yes, Ok, putting that together, perhaps 9th (some time in the morning) is more likely for Santander.  Is a quick dry docking (for whatever purpose that is for) and berthing trials doable in a day?  Possibly.  Then Portsmouth on the 11th is just about feasible.  Tight, but feasible.  All depends what this dry docking is about.  If it’s for a full hull antifoul then forget it, but if they just need to give it a bit of a pressure wash and replace a few sacrificial anodes then fine!

• Gareth pinned this topic