Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Oh drat, I’m in the U.K. that weekend and not back to Cherbourg until Tuesday evening (13th). Hopefully she’ll have been delayed along the way, long enough for me to capture her maiden call.

Chris

There also seems to be some confusion over the handover and reflagging, Galicia was originally due to sail from the Suez Canal to Algerciras followed by Portsmouth, Cherbourg, Bilbao then Santander for berthing trials while still with Stena's crew. Once in Santander, the handover and reflagging was due to take place followed by her drydocking for her final touches, as quoted by Brittany Ferries.

As she will be registered in Morlaix, bearing in mind that she was in China when she was carrying Portsmouth under her name, does the handover and reflagging have to be done in a French port or can it be done while she's docked in Spain?

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more

And off she goes...

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

Posted Images

Technically reflagging can be done anywhere as long as the vessel meets the standards of the country the ship is being reflagged to. The actual registration is a simple paperwork exercise (plus the purchase of a new flag).

For those countries with higher safety standards, the (re-)registration is normally done after a visit of inspectors which makes reflagging convenient to do in the country when the ship visits for inspection. However being new, Galicia I would hope 😐 meets the relevant standards so does not need the formal inspection with the boxes already ticked.

The only part Galicia may not meet while in transit is the crewing requirements under French regulations.

However French bureaucracy or the need for an important people flag waving ceremony ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Considering the French government's financial support for Brittany Ferries with tax payers money I'm sure management are keen not to offend the politicians and tax payers , so with that it mind it will be interesting as to what flag she'll be flying on arrival at Cherbourg . If she has to wait at Suez for a north bound transit it would be an opportunity to get  the bosuns chair over the side, and off load the security team as well .

Edited by Chef
3 hours ago, Shipping Forecast said:

(plus the purchase of a new flag).

As a gesture of goodwill I suggest BFE members have a whip round and present Nigel Wonnacott with a new Tricolout. A great opportunity for a photo on the bridge with the captain and prove that in these difficult Covid related times we Enthusiasts really do care...🤣

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Tricolout

Is that some sort of young, foul-mouthed vandal who enjoys a bit of balaclava-knitting in his spare time? 

And if so, what would Nigel get him to do on board their new ship?

Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Is that some sort of young, foul-mouthed vandal who enjoys a bit of balaclava-knitting in his spare time? 

And if so, what would Nigel get him to do on board their new ship?

Ed. 

Get the tricolout to knit a tricolour? :D

Message to Nigel W...

Thinking about it, BF should be producing company logo designed washable face masks with a different picture of each ship in the fleet for good measure, meaning you could buy the whole set if a complete ferry nutter! ( a few of those on here..🤣

Not such a stupid idea, better to give our hard earned to cash to BF than the supermarkets....

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
18 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Message to Nigel W...

Thinking about it, BF should be producing company logo designed washable face masks with a different picture of each ship in the fleet for good measure, meaning you could buy the whole set if a complete ferry nutter! ( a few of those on here..🤣

Not such a stupid idea, better to give our hard earned to cash to BF than the supermarkets....

Chris

As you can wash them around 10 times, how about a single model of mask with a layer which dissolves off with each wash to reveal the next ship underneath? (A sort of reverse version of all the logos on the side of Bretagne.) Ed. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Paully said:

Or perhaps send a free set to all those who didnt get their money back and or got left behind in Spain as a PR goodwill gesture?.

Edited by IanN
Poor taste
21 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm now intrigued as to just how bad your post may have been for you to remove it on the ground of 'poor taste'.

Ed. 

It was a dig against BF with regard to compensation which was not appropriate on this site. No bad language or personal abuse 

Edited by IanN
clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

As you can wash them around 10 times, how about a single model of mask with a layer which dissolves off with each wash to reveal the next ship underneath? (A sort of reverse version of all the logos on the side of Bretagne.) Ed. 

The technology exists. It used to be employed very successfully on my penny gobstoppers way back when . . .

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, IanN said:

It was a dig against BF with regard to compensation which was not appropriate on this site. No bad language or personal abuse 

Strange Ian I thought you had a few digs at them in the past for this same reason..it was tongue in cheek humour nothing more than that...I'll leave it there at this time

Edited by Paully
11 hours ago, Paully said:

Strange Ian I thought you had a few digs at them in the past for this same reason..it was tongue in cheek humour nothing more than that...I'll leave it there at this time

Sorry Paully

I took you post as humor my response was also tongue in cheek. I have critised  in the past just thought my response was not apt at this time. I will PM you the entire content of the post

1 hour ago, jamie said:

Now at suez anchorage 

It's a shame that there do not appear to be any webcams in the Suez Canal, unlike the Panama, unless anyone has managed to find one?

The cruise ship 'World Dream' appears to be headed in the reciprocal direction, but sadly doesn't have a webcam either!

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

ETA in Cherbourg on October 13th @Fine Whine, approximately 14:00 local time.

Thanks Tony,

Ill be in Portsmouth then but heading back to France on Normandie at 14h45, I’ll give you a wave as I pass your office...🤓

Will be back to Cherbourg by 23h French time, hopefully she’ll still be there, even better at first light the next mornimg.

Chris

2 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Will be back to Cherbourg by 23h French time, hopefully she’ll still be there, even better at first light the next mornimg.

Yeah, you may just be lucky but don't get your hopes up. I won't be working next week, shifts have been cut because of the virus.