Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

10 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

FYI @Danim24he did wear these on his shoulders...

image.thumb.png.e1d07064e7f5e9f3d7eaee5ef59ec576.png

Is that pointed bit at the top a bit like the 'right way up' arrow on a wine box so you know how to position them when knocked over by a rough wave? Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

She's  in...

Some more

Posted Images

1 hour ago, nottingham said:

My little bruv (RIP) did a trip to the Falklands on Invicible - it was estimated that the crew quarters in the bow were rising and falling 30m in the South Atlantic.  Makes me queasy just thinking about it!

Father-in-law was on the same vessel....😉

30 m = 98.5 feet so he wasn’t far out! Having literally sailed to almost all corners of the globe during a lifetime of service the Med does seem an odd place to witness a monster wave but he assures me it’s true.

I’ve just been reading an account of when the original Queen Mary was  crossing the Atlantic as a troop carrier in 1942. Already in a hurricane and with 16,000 American troops on board she was hit by a rogue wave 700 miles off the Scottish coast, shattering windows on the  bridge 95 feet above the waterline and heeling over to around 50 degrees. Only supremely skilful seamanship avoided an unthinkable disaster that day, those poor souls must have been petrified as well as violently ill.....🤮

Chris

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

I’ve just been reading an account of when the original Queen Mary was  crossing the Atlantic as a troop carrier in 1942. Already in a hurricane and with 16,000 American troops on board she was hit by a rogue wave 700 miles off the Scottish coast, shattering windows on the  bridge 95 feet above the waterline and heeling over to around 50 degrees. Only supremely skilful seamanship avoided an unthinkable disaster that day, those poor souls must have been petrified as well as violently ill.....🤮

Chris

My Father was a wireless op on the Queen Mary's troopship runs.  I do recollect him telling me that it wasn't an enjoyable experience, the ship's speed was a comforting thought to avoid the U Boats  

• Like 3
5 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I received word that after Galicia visits Portsmouth, she will head straight to Plymouth for ramp trials before going to Bilbao. However, she will not be in port long (30 - 60 minutes, if that).

Lets hope it's during daylight hours

With AIS now showing her arrival time in Cherbourg as 06h00 on Monday 12th my cunning plan to beat @Andy and @TonyMWeaver to posting the first photo of her appear to have been scuppered as I'm in the UK this weekend. But on the assumption she'll be in Portsmouth  the next day I'm on the afternoon sailing back to Caen so hopefully can get a good close up view of her on the adjacent berth - lenses/phones at the ready...!

Chris

• Like 3
  • TongueOut 1
1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

With AIS now showing her arrival time in Cherbourg as 06h00 on Monday 12th my cunning plan to beat @Andy and @TonyMWeaver to posting the first photo of her appear to have been scuppered as I'm in the UK this weekend. But on the assumption she'll be in Portsmouth  the next day I'm on the afternoon sailing back to Caen so hopefully can get a good close up view of her on the adjacent berth - lenses/phones at the ready...!

Chris

I just want to get photos, I'm not bothered when I'm going to post them. Unfortunately, with the time of arrival in Portsmouth being early morning, my plans to go out on the tug for photos have also been scuppered. If she had arrived mid morning, I would have got some great piccies from on the water. Still, there's plenty of time for that.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

LOL, wishful thinking.

@Fine Whine, 'Galicia' has 5 berthing trials to do on Tuesday before she receives bunkers. I've booked up on the 1100 harbour tour so I'll get some piccies of her alongside too.

Home port doesn't necessarily mean the same as port of registry. Ed. 

But as she’s currently registered in Portsmouth, will be in Portsmouth on Tuesday and will spend nearly half of her life when tied up in Portsmouth  I think Nick’s tongue in cheek comment (😂) is fair comment. Good idea doing the harbour tour Tony although Tuesday is currently looking like a grey, drizzly day on the forecast - but you never know down here...

Chris

24 minutes ago, Chef said:

Indeed, , none of the Irish Ferries fleet has ever been to Limassol , Cyprus.

And I don't think many of the BF fleet could get to Morlaix even if they wanted to. And that has nothing to do with striking French fishermen for once. Ed.

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I never said it did, ships spend most of their time at sea. Galicia's home theatrically is the English Channel or Biscay.

So, explain the 'LOL, wishful thinking.' that you posted.

I assumed you were referring to her port of registry as you took that to be what Nick meant given she is currently flagged to the UK and Portsmouth.

From her published timetable, I'd say that Portsmouth will be her 'home port' but she might well spend equal periods there and in Santander.

Ed

• Gareth pinned this topic