Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

She's  in...

Some more

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

She's finally made the Biscay!

Time must fly, doesn't seem that long since she left China! 

She seems to have arrived in European waters in about the same amount of time it took Coronavirus to spread here too. Interesting coincidence.😉

Ed

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

The home port is probably Cherbourg as that is where the crew are swapped and the majority of the stores will come on board.

It's probably what will feel like 'home' for the crew too.

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

but she might well spend equal periods there and in Santander.

Exactly that, she will spend almost just as long in Spain as she will in the UK. Cruise Ships have home ports, like Queen Mary 2 (Southampton), as far as I'm concerned, ferries don't have home ports, why would a French/Spanish ferry have a UK home port? It doesn't make sense.

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

The home port is probably Cherbourg as that is where the crew are swapped and the majority of the stores will come on board.

I was going to say that yesterday but chose not too in case I got shot down.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
3 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Exactly that, she will spend almost just as long in Spain as she will in the UK. Cruise Ships have home ports, like Queen Mary 2 (Southampton), as far as I'm concerned, ferries don't have home ports, why would a French/Spanish ferry have a UK home port? It doesn't make sense.

It could be argued that Galicia is Portsmouth *based* given all return trips will start and end there. In the same way NEX started and ended her day there.

But I agree that *home* is a different concept and about more than just time spent in a particular port.

1 hour ago, rogerpatenall said:

I seem to remember that QM2 changed her port of registration from Southampton to Hamilton, as Bermuda regulations allowed marriages to take place on board. Did that happen? and has it changed back?

The QM2 is indeed under the flag of Bermuda and her "Home Port" is Hamilton.

I have always understood the Home Port to be that of the place the vessel is registered. This is more relevant when a vessel is chartered in and not owned.  

I think each vessel should go to its port of registry once a year for inspection. That would allow me to take Condor Liberation (undoubtedly the finest vessel plying the channel) to the Bahamas (somewhere I've always liked the idea of visiting). Ed. 

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, colin said:

Our boat has on its stern :

Blustery Day

Hamnavoe

It has never been "home", other than that Hamnavoe is also the name of our house ....

Well it's not the Bahamas but on a nice sunny day I'm sure it's lovely. Ed. 

• Haha 1

Sorry if I've missed something… do we know if there are any events at Cherbourg tomorrow to welcome Galicia to her new home port? Or do we have to wait until she is ticolor-ed?

Could be a bit difficult for the largest employer of French seafarers to welcome a ship flying the "red duster"? 

I've had two builds in foreign parts; the first we flagged her in on the morning she first hit British waters (offload from a big carrier at Tilbury as it happens) and the second the night before she left Dutch waters on her inbound delivery trip.

In both cases the Flag surveys were undertaken before they left the builders' yards.

I don't think the PR value would have been quite the same if we did Tower Bridge or the Liverpool waterfront under the Croatian or Dutch flags.

3 minutes ago, kenw said:

Sorry if I've missed something… do we know if there are any events at Cherbourg tomorrow to welcome Galicia to her new home port? Or do we have to wait until she is ticolor-ed?

Could be a bit difficult for the largest employer of French seafarers to welcome a ship flying the "red duster"? 

I've had two builds in foreign parts; the first we flagged her in on the morning she first hit British waters (offload from a big carrier at Tilbury as it happens) and the second the night before she left Dutch waters on her inbound delivery trip.

In both cases the Flag surveys were undertaken before they left the builders' yards.

I don't think the PR value would have been quite the same if we did Tower Bridge or the Liverpool waterfront under the Croatian or Dutch flags.

I'm sure the unions in Cherbourg will be out to celebrate her arrival! 😉 Ed. 

• Like 2

The Q Ship manual has been dusted off and a cunning ruse devised , prior to arrival the French colours will be run up , placards showing the new French port of registration will be lowered over the side , the crew will be issued with black berets and told to sulk and lounge around complaining and smoking while wearing garlands of onions around their necks ,ruse complete .

Edited by Chef
  • Haha 3

Not sure about Cherbourg, but I highly doubt there will be an event in Portsmouth on Tuesday, 'Galicia' will be docking in Portsmouth at around 08:00 and she will be busy with 5 berthing trials before she receives bunkers. She'll depart again around 22:00 bound for Plymouth, however, she will only be there for a short time before she heads to Bilbao then Santander. I would guess that all events are planned for after her dry docking and re-registration in Santander and crew training.

13 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

and she will be busy with 5 berthing trials before she receives bunkers.

Tony, do you have further info about the trials. If I was to speculate would that be berth 2 stern, berth 3 bow & stern and berth 4 bow & stern.

Edited by nick hall
5 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I thought she was too big for most berths.

No idea, I only know she's doing 5 trials. Berths 3 and 4 can handle 205 metres easy so I'm guessing Galicia will try 3 & 4 after 2 and I think bow in will be done on 3 and 4 as well as stern in.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
4 hours ago, kenw said:

Wasn't a problem for NEX  in 2005 (courtesy of Wikipedia)

In September 2004, P&O Ferries announced they were to withdraw their services from Portsmouth to France, Brittany Ferries later announced they would run a fastcraft service between Portsmouth and Cherbourg/Caen (Ouistreham) as a replacement and The Lynx was chartered. In January 2005, she was renamed Normandie Express and sailed for France, stopping off in Indonesia to drop off supplies and equipment for the tsunami relief effort.

Also on board for the trip to Europe was the French yacht Sill et Veolia which was being returned to France after being damaged whilst on the Vendée Globe round-the-world yacht race.

After calling in at Roscoff to drop off the yacht and being shown off to Brittany Ferries management, she undertook berthing trials in Portsmouth, Cherbourg and Ouistreham before starting service in March  2005.

For her first year in service with Brittany Ferries, Normandie Express had a bridge and engine room crew supplied by Northern Marine and was registered in Nassau but protests from French  unions meant that from 2006 she would fly the French flag and be registered in Caen with a full French crew.

Edited by colinschandler
font size

She is now in the English Channel, and there appeared to be a slight deviation in her track earlier on.  Bearing in mind the Pont Aven was in the same area around that time, perhaps they met up...

Edited by Paul
  • Gareth pinned this topic