Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

56 minutes ago, Jim said:

I presume/hope in this day and age that BF/the port might have (or have hired) someone with a drone for some aerial footage at some point.

(In the same way I presume one doesn't just fly a drone anywhere near a naval dockyard)

Drop an email to the Kremlin, they'll probably have something buzzing around. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mystery-unmanned-300000-spy-ship-22824169.amp&ved=2ahUKEwjXmqmJua_sAhVS1BoKHSFCAoIQFjAGegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw26B_GrGSBoOFKBDnh--BZz&ampcf=1

Ed

• Haha 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more

She's  in...

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jim said:

(In the same way I presume one doesn't just fly a drone anywhere near a naval dockyard)

See https://dronesafetymap.com/#loc=50.8150482,-1.1399183,12.716666666666669 for Portsmouth. Zoom in to see individual sites from naval establishments to parks and schools.

The dockyard shows as an "AREA OF INCREASED RISK : RADIO INTERFERENCE"

plus

MILITARY USE INDICATED
Flying in this area is likely to be prohibited. This area is associated with military land and/or air use and your operation within it is likely to be prohibited.

The dockyard shows as an "AREA OF INCREASED RISK : RADIO INTERFERENCE"

When I had a boat it was understood that GPS in Portsmouth Harbour could be unreliable due to the powerful naval radars.

Many years ago when up at Portsdown they were testing the new radars for the type 45’s and other stuff no doubt, our GPS went off, no signal. Did make dredging off the Nab awkward, the Crown gave us dispensation, had to log position brg and distance, not as accurate as the GPS by a long way.

56 minutes ago, Botley Dan said:

Is there any indication when it might be back in Pompey after tomorrow- I have an extremely miffed 10 year old who is going to miss the first arrival due to school!! 

I imagine that it will be the 3rd December

3 hours ago, Jim said:

I presume/hope in this day and age that BF/the port might have (or have hired) someone with a drone for some aerial footage at some point.

'Solent Sky Services' normally.

I've decided not to go down tomorrow morning. Seeing as Galica will be on berth 2 first, presumably bow out, I should get some decent shots then. She's down to move to berth 3 at 12:00, no mention of her going onto berth 4. I've managed to get on two harbour tours one after the other, so with a bit of luck, may see her on berth 3 too.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
1 hour ago, Botley Dan said:

Is there any indication when it might be back in Pompey after tomorrow- I have an extremely miffed 10 year old who is going to miss the first arrival due to school!! 

Unless Galicia comes in with BF crew for training, it will be December 3rd like David said.

Why all the urgency to get 'first pictures'?

The ship will be in service for many years and there will be plenty of photo opps.

Anyway, modern ferries all look a bit anonymous and I rather think tht prospective travellers will be much more interested in their interior appointments and catering facilities.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

The ship will be in service for many years and there will be plenty of photo opps.

Anyway, modern ferries all look a bit anonymous and I rather think tht prospective travellers will be much more interested in their interior appointments and catering facilities.

It's been a depressing year! need something to cheer me up!

• Like 1

It's been a depressing year! need something to cheer me up!

Can't really argue with that I guess. Especially as you may only be able to see the exterior for some time to come.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Well in my household I have a 10 year old boy whose transport interest is ferries!! For him it’s a big deal to miss it’s first arrival - I have no idea where this interest has come from, we were booked to go to see the Kerry in the October half term before it goes out of service via Dublin on wb yeats but that’s been ruined by Covid too!! 

41 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

But she's UK-flagged for now which is a bit rare.  Ed. 

1 minute ago, LHCity said:

What is the test schedule for the next few days?

Portsmouth all day tomorrow, Plymouth on Wednesday just for one ramp trial. Bilbao Thursday, Santander Friday. Dry dock after but not sure of the date.