Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

36 minutes ago, ross brown said:

Forgot to say she already has rust on her Bow area!! I don't mean around the anchor area that's normal. 

Great paint job!!! 

Maybe one day I will go on her and may change my opinion of her but it's always difficult to judge a vessel from photos we need to see them with our eyes. 

Ahh OK didn't realise that, thanks Jim. 

I still think her stern views looks grand and quite impressive, but her bow shorts looks like a stouter Armorique!

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She's  in...

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

And off she goes...

Posted Images

I read a comment from BBC South's transport correspondent, on Twitter, where he said that despite Galicia entering service in December, she won't be carrying passengers 'any time soon' - will she be in freight-only mode initially? Or is this just a reference to the general restrictions which covid has imposed on travel? 

10 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

I read a comment from BBC South's transport correspondent, on Twitter, where he said that despite Galicia entering service in December, she won't be carrying passengers 'any time soon' - will she be in freight-only mode initially? Or is this just a reference to the general restrictions which covid has imposed on travel? 

My take on it is that it's the latter part of that given BF have been advertising and selling crossings. 

Following my question to BF on Instagram about arrival time into Plymouth tomorrow morning, they originally said it would be 0700 to 0900.  They have now revised that to 0830 to 10.30, which ties in with the QHM shipping movements.

This is marvellous, BF have a brand new ferry and she’s a behemoth, well for Portsmouth she is.

Thanks for all the photos posted this morning.

I’ve also had word from a reliable source that she definitely won’t be carrying out berthing trials in Poole tomorrow with a view to replacing Barfleur. 😂

• Haha 2

I think she'll fit in Plymouth ok with some careful manouvering. But presumably she will need to do trials again then later on when she is back from Astander, and with BF crew & captain (maybe PA's Mourvan as he knows the millbay turning circle so well). The crew taking her to Plymouth and Spain tomorrow will still be Chinese/Stena I imagine?

44 minutes ago, PGTV said:

Would prefer the 8:30, don’t fancy going down to Millbay at 7am - the local “night-workers” are just finishing their shifts down there...

They are the least of your worries, it's the 'no fixed abode' you need to watch...day OR night!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone know what that extended blue ramp above/inside the stern ramp is for? Cant be for footies, I thought maybe use on steeper/old linkspans, but it would get in the way at other times surely? I am looking at Jonno here....!

4 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Anyone know what that extended blue ramp above/inside the stern ramp is for? Cant be for footies, I thought maybe use on steeper/old linkspans, but it would get in the way at other times surely? I am looking at Jonno here....!

I thought it might be an extension for the upper vehicle deck, so that a linkspan ramp can be lowered onto it? Not sure if the Edda/Estrid have one?

8 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

I thought it might be an extension for the upper vehicle deck, so that a linkspan ramp can be lowered onto it? Not sure if the Edda/Estrid have one?

Yeah, good point - could be... so rarely used by BF then. Surprised if that is the case that she won't be loaded stern first in Pompey to speed things up a bit.. and offload bow first in Spain.

Portsmouth today welcomes Galicia, Brittany Ferries’ brand-new ship serving routes to Spain and France.  She will undertake berthing trials in port today (13 October 2020) before her entry into service for passengers in December 2020.

Galicia is the longest ship ever to have graced the Brittany Ferries fleet at 215m, hosting 3km of “lane metres” for freight and passenger traffic. She is the first new ship to join the fleet since 2009 and is the first since the company announced a multi-million euro investment in fleet renewal back in 2017.

The investment was, of course, made several years ago. But the company says it hopes the new ship will reassure customers of Brittany Ferries’ commitment to a brighter future. Galicia will serve the Portsmouth to Santander route, with two weekly rotations. And one weekly there-and-back from Portsmouth to Cherbourg in Normandy.

When the current storms have passed, Brittany Ferries will have three new ships in its fleet. Two ships will have joined Galicia by 2023, called Salamanca and Santoña, both powered by cleaner liquefied natural gas (LNG).

“Fleet renewal is an integral part of our five-year recovery plan and Galicia’s arrival is the result of a commission made in happier times,” said Christophe Mathieu Brittany Ferries CEO. “That is why I am delighted to bring this good news story to our staff, freight drivers and passengers today. Our message is clear: we have invested in beautiful new ships. Given the right support to get through this terrible crisis Brittany Ferries can have a bright future, as well as a proud past.”

Mike Sellers, director at Portsmouth International Port said: “I’m delighted to welcome Galicia to the city on behalf of the people of Portsmouth. 2020 has been a challenging year for us all, so it’s great to be able to look to the future positively with the arrival of this fantastic addition to the Brittany Ferries fleet. “The additional freight capacity on the ship means more opportunities for trade to flow direct from the UK to Spain, and passengers will also be able to travel in style with some of the finest facilities in ferry travel available on-board”.

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/portsmouth-welcomes-galicia-brittany-ferries-brand-new-ship-for-spain/

1 hour ago, PGTV said:

Would prefer the 8:30, don’t fancy going down to Millbay at 7am - the local “night-workers” are just finishing their shifts down there...

Thought you might have posted this on the "scrubbers" thread?

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Don't ask me, I'm still in the "she won't berth in Plymouth brigade". Visit yes, berth no... but hey I always thought WBY wouldn't get into Milford, even Bill Hirst who was harbour master there told me she wouldn't get on the outriggers and many of us thought the Pont wouldn't fit the dock in Astander.

It'll be a real bonus for Devon if or when I'm proved wrong and she's tied to the quay at Millbay. It'd make a pleasant change to see the port get something back. Could this be why the third ship is to be controlled by SOMABRET? That would really make us believe PA will replace Bretagne. Exciting times considering the year we're having.

... but I still can't stop thinking that her lack of passenger berths and her extensive lane metres would be wasted there.

Right, the stern ramps... Could it be for stern on twin loading? It's quite short and the Stena ships don't have it.