Jump to content

Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

Don't ask me, I'm still in the "she won't berth in Plymouth brigade". Visit yes, berth no... but hey I always thought WBY wouldn't get into Milford, even Bill Hirst who was harbour master there told me she wouldn't get on the outriggers and many of us thought the Pont wouldn't fit the dock in Astander.

It'll be a real bonus for Devon if or when I'm proved wrong and she's tied to the quay at Millbay. It'd make a pleasant change to see the port get something back. Could this be why the third ship is to be controlled by SOMABRET? That would really make us believe PA will replace Bretagne. Exciting times considering the year we're having.

... but I still can't stop thinking that her lack of passenger berths and her extensive lane metres would be wasted there.

Right, the stern ramps... Could it be for stern on twin loading? It's quite short and the Stena ships don't have it.

True, I think E-flexers would only ever really use Plymouth as a backup, like CF, but it's nice to know they CAN...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more

And off she goes...

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

True, I think E-flexers would only ever really use Plymouth as a backup, like CF, but it's nice to know they CAN...

Having had a bit of a mooch, it seems that the Harwich twins have a similar short vehicle ramp too although theirs is more enclosed and is shielded by the main stern ramp.stena-ferry-hoek-holland.jpg.b53f25ecc9878bd494c5bebbbdda447c.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jonno said:

Having had a bit of a mooch, it seems that the Harwich twins have a similar short vehicle ramp too although theirs is more enclosed and is shielded by the main stern ramp.stena-ferry-hoek-holland.jpg.b53f25ecc9878bd494c5bebbbdda447c.jpg

You beat me to it @jonno regarding the Harwich ships, I think you’re right it is because the deck has another one enclosing it, the short ramp is lowered so the shore side ramp has something to rest on.

Why Galicia has it and her Stena sisters don’t is not that clear. The only explanation I can think of is the length of the lower ramp means the stern is further away from the link span when it’s lowered therefore the deck above needs the short extension otherwise the shore side upper deck ramp wouldn’t reach the ship.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, nick hall said:

You beat me to it @jonno regarding the Harwich ships, I think you’re right it is because the deck has another one enclosing it, the short ramp is lowered so the shore side ramp has something to rest on.

Why Galicia has it and her Stena sisters don’t is not that clear. The only explanation I can think of is the length of the lower ramp means the stern is further away from the link span when it’s lowered therefore the deck above needs the short extension otherwise the shore side upper deck ramp wouldn’t reach the ship.

https://www.faktaomfartyg.se/european_ambassador_2000.htm

 

Stena Nordica appears to have this extra ramp as well so she can fit certain berths. I wonder if this will disappear when she replaces Stena Baltica. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jim said:

She's currently crewed by an offshoot of Stena with British crew and therefore flagged to a British port

Transport Correspondent Paul Clifton clearly has no clue, according to him, it was a Chinese crew.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, seadog said:

Are you sure she did 3?

Her track on Marine Traffic looks like she did 2 & 4, although it isn’t the clearest. 
She has just left for Plymouth.

I’m interested to know how she’ll operate as there’s no double deck loading in Spain. Possible stern on in Spain and bow on in Portsmouth but loading on both levels. Or stern only like Cap Finistere. I guess we’ll know in December.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Transport Correspondent Paul Clifton clearly has no clue, according to him, it was a Chinese crew.

I see from Twitter that it's confirmed there are also Chinese crew onboard - in many ways that would make sense to allow for troubleshooting in the voyage.

I've edited out your subsequent comment about Mr Clifton. There's no need for insults.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jim said:

I see from Twitter that it's confirmed there are also Chinese crew onboard - in many ways that would make sense to allow for troubleshooting in the voyage.

Must have been a skeleton crew.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that chunk of metal at the back is in fact an advertising hoarding. Companies like DFS sofas and Virgin Media broadband could buy space on it.

And if a passing freighter captain in the Bay of Biscay ever sees it he'll be like "Oh, I see DFS have a sale on...the sofa in the crew mess room is looking a bit ropy. I must pick up a new one when we get to Felixstowe..." 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nick hall said:

Her track on Marine Traffic looks like she did 2 & 4, although it isn’t the clearest. 
She has just left for Plymouth.

I’m interested to know how she’ll operate as there’s no double deck loading in Spain. Possible stern on in Spain and bow on in Portsmouth but loading on both levels. Or stern only like Cap Finistere. I guess we’ll know in December.

Both Bilbao & Santander are to get twin loading linkspans. When the new terminal is built in Santander there will be two linkspans to choose from.

I've only known the Cap to be bow on in Santander.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

The upper stern ramp talking about earlier - its a considerable chunk of metal!

 

Galicia Stern.jpg

Galicia Stern 2.jpg

Where you flying alongside or something?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...