Jump to content

Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)


Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

Sayer’s cheese & onion pasty, Greggs real sausage roll and a genuine Cornish Pasty. Them’s real snacks put you on till tea time when you can have your lob scouse or fish and chips!

Are Sayers still going? Loved their strawberry charlottes and the pink iced 6 inch long fresh cream slices. We used to have Cousins Cakes too, think they went in the early '80's. In some of the renovated shops you can still see the tiled 'C' in the doorway floor.

Cousins Corner in Liverpool city centre was a traditional meeting place for a date a bit like under the statue at Lewis's. We'd then head along North John St to the clubs along Victoria St or start in the back streets around the Cavern. 

I was a busy 16 year old back in '84!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She's  in...

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

Posted Images

Cousins was the Liverpool based shop bakery brand and was part of the group that I worked for (for 35 years). Along with all the other regional bakery shop companies (ABC, Wilkins, Broomfields, City Bakeries and lots more) they became Bakers' Oven shops before Allied sold them to Greggs (who used to work for Allied Bakeries) and became the major part of Greggs as we know it today.

An early marketing coup of the ABC shop company (Aerated Bread Company) in London was the publication of the first London street map - the forerunner of ABC guides as we know them.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim said:

Do they? I always thought P&O was predominantly British with the occasional other nationality. I knew DFDS was mixed but thought that was more to do with elements of SeaFrance/Norfolkline heritage than any intentional policy. (Stand to be corrected on this!)

I do not know the facts and figures and the 25% is just a suggestion I think is appropriate.

You are correct about DFDS, but that was part of the deal, to keep on some French nationals. P&O do have French Nationals as well but maybe not on deck or officers. The Hull ships are multinational.

So the point being is that (in my opinion) Brittany Ferries should employ French, British and Spanish crews, whether that is made compulsory or out of decency, to help save the ever-decreasing British Seafarers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

So the point being is that (in my opinion) Brittany Ferries should employ French, British and Spanish crews, whether that is made compulsory or out of decency, to help save the ever-decreasing British Seafarers. 

Understandable point - but there's the counter argument that doing so would be at the expense of French Seafarers which, given French politics, is not necessarily a line a French company would want to brave following...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

I do not know the facts and figures and the 25% is just a suggestion I think is appropriate.

You are correct about DFDS, but that was part of the deal, to keep on some French nationals. P&O do have French Nationals as well but maybe not on deck or officers. The Hull ships are multinational.

So the point being is that (in my opinion) Brittany Ferries should employ French, British and Spanish crews, whether that is made compulsory or out of decency, to help save the ever-decreasing British Seafarers. 

DFDS are now also the sole ferry operator flying the red ensign from Dover, on the Dunkerque ships. I hope they continue to do so. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One easy answer to this,if there no brexit deal then say all ferries using. British ports as there main ports.should have a percentage of British seafarers employed .just a thought because if the boot was on the other foot the French would be demanding french seafarers should be employed.stay safe

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nodwad said:

One easy answer to this,if there no brexit deal then say all ferries using. British ports as there main ports.should have a percentage of British seafarers employed .just a thought because if the boot was on the other foot the French would be demanding french seafarers should be employed.stay safe

Like your reasoning

Link to post
Share on other sites

If it was a British company there would be a case but when it's a French company with French, plus the odd British, crew I don't think there's an argument.  How many British and even Irish are on Irish ferries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rogerpatenall said:

Cousins was the Liverpool based shop bakery brand and was part of the group that I worked for (for 35 years). Along with all the other regional bakery shop companies (ABC, Wilkins, Broomfields, City Bakeries and lots more) they became Bakers' Oven shops before Allied sold them to Greggs (who used to work for Allied Bakeries) and became the major part of Greggs as we know it today.

An early marketing coup of the ABC shop company (Aerated Bread Company) in London was the publication of the first London street map - the forerunner of ABC guides as we know them.

I just found a 2012 reprint of the 1905 edition of the ABC Guide to London (original price 3d) on Amazon for £3.04. will make a fascinating bedtime read for an ex Londoner so bought it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nodwad said:

One easy answer to this,if there no brexit deal then say all ferries using. British ports as there main ports.should have a percentage of British seafarers employed .just a thought because if the boot was on the other foot the French would be demanding french seafarers should be employed.stay safe

As there must be two shifts onboard, how about they swap over at the half-way point across the Channel? However, the British crew would have full jurisdiction over the fried breakfasts, no matter in whose waters they are, and the French would automatically be responsible for any shoulder-shrugging required. Ed. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nodwad said:

One easy answer to this,if there no brexit deal then say all ferries using. British ports as there main ports.should have a percentage of British seafarers employed .just a thought because if the boot was on the other foot the French would be demanding french seafarers should be employed.stay safe

I think realistically that would be anything but easy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, nodwad said:

One easy answer to this,if there no brexit deal then say all ferries using. British ports as there main ports.should have a percentage of British seafarers employed .just a thought because if the boot was on the other foot the French would be demanding french seafarers should be employed.stay safe

The MCA removed all UK manning requirements from UK flagged ships years ago at the behest of the Tory government. The only ships requiring a UK Master, the only rank stipulated, are strategic ships, Product Tankers, RoRos, Class 1 Passenger and fishing boats >24m. I wonder if the EU will be removed from the list of approved nationalities on Jan 2nd?

Recently the MCA increased the fees for revalidation of Certificates and medicals, the only price reduction was for CECs, the buy one get one free method whereby foreign officers are given a UK equivalent cert.

I applaud the French unions for ensuring French Seamen are employed on French ships flying the French flag and paying French tax.

This country wants only the cheapest ships, seamen and services. Short termism at its most extreme.

Even if such a rule was brought in the MCA would simply grant exemptions to any company who said that British Seamen were unavailable, a situation they have created.

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim said:

I think realistically that would be anything but easy.

I agree with you,yet do you think the French would accept it , i said before if the boot was on the other foot?for some reason I don't think they would accept it at all.stay safe

Link to post
Share on other sites

I note that the French regions have put in some more money into BF, I am happy that they wish to subsidise a ferry between the UK and Spain and am very happy to have a French crew - I feel I am on holiday as soon as they speak !

ps on Wednesday's crossing the spontaneous announcements were in fluent French, Spanish and English - I would like to see a UK crew doing that !

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I note that the French regions have put in some more money into BF, I am happy that they wish to subsidise a ferry between the UK and Spain and am very happy to have a French crew - I feel I am on holiday as soon as they speak !

ps on Wednesday's crossing the spontaneous announcements were in fluent French, Spanish and English - I would like to see a UK crew doing that !

A good point but they can be pre recorded can they not.in any case the French would never allow this to happen.you got to give them there due.solidarity comes to mind.stay safe

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nodwad said:

I agree with you,yet do you think the French would accept it , i said before if the boot was on the other foot?for some reason I don't think they would accept it at all.stay safe

Being blunt, @nodwad, we'll never know.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, colinschandler said:

Moving away from Brexit and back to Galicia, I see she's now in Santander so everything must have hopefully gone well at Bilbao

Yep so that’s another port ticked off, but it does make me chuckle when I see comments like - ship A is heading to port B to see if she fits..?

This is the 21st century, you don’t spend millions building a new vessel, then sail her half way around the world to find she’s 5 inches too long, although having said that please don’t quote me in a face to face meeting with Irish Ferries and Flensburger Shiffbau-Gesellschaft 

I would imagine each berthing trail involves choosing the appropriate mooring point to take into account of wind direction, tidal swell etc And much more importantly Manuel, ably assisted by his cousin José will produce a large can of white spray paint and emblazon the initials GL or GC directly below the bridge, enabling the Captain to put her into neutral  before she wrecks the linkspan.

And for those who haven’t noticed, the next time you leave any BF port look at the graffiti sprayed on the concrete. Last week in Ouistreham I spotted VDL, DDN, NO, MSM, NEX, RM, BR, ARM, - if you really wanted to harm a ferry company you would slip a 500€ note into Miguel’s back pocket with instructions to erase said graffiti and they would be in serious trouble....😂

Chris

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nick hall said:

Controversial, did Reine Mathilde ever use the present berth?

Well you could just be (grudgingly) right there Nick, maybe I misinterpreted RM for Qui but if I can pass on one little bit of advice gleaned over the years,

 

image.thumb.jpeg.b593a4667b4f395abf23ac35e28f4043.jpeg

Chris ...😂🤣

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Well you could just be (grudgingly) right there Nick, maybe I misinterpreted RM for Qui but if I can pass on one little bit of advice gleaned over the years,

 

image.thumb.jpeg.b593a4667b4f395abf23ac35e28f4043.jpeg

Chris ...😂🤣

I can, from experience, agree about Quiberon. To try and disprove my rhetorical question I’ve googled Reine Mathilde in Ouistreham, alas no joy.

On a different note wouldn’t it be great if BF named their next ferry for a Bretagne route Quiberon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

100% in agreement about Quiberon 2 Nick, the jury is still out about whether Prince of Fundy/Prince of Brittany/ Reine Mathilde/Beauport used the new berth specifically constructed for Normandie. I can very clearly recall DDN using it  docked stern in early 2002, I’m now pretty sure RM did the same - let’s call it a 1-1 draw for now...

Chris

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

Yep so that’s another port ticked off, but it does make me chuckle when I see comments like - ship A is heading to port B to see if she fits..?

Quite right and a point I made several pages ago regarding Plymouth. She was never going to see if she fits. It is about familiarisation and putting a tick in the check box. They can then draw up the manual and risk assessments and throw them in a draw somewhere on the bridge.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at the AIS link above and I see that apart from making a pretty butterfly pattern on her way into Santander, Galicica took an overland shortcut to her mooring!

if you wondering what on earth I'm doing posting at 4.45 in the morning, just having a last wake up coffee before heading off to Plymouth, 6,15 check-in for the PA.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anybody noticed the amount of weird looking plating on the Bow section on both port and starboard sides it's just behind the bow doors but on both sides. 

 

Looks like they have plated it to cover up a hole, LOL only joking. 

Just think it looks terrible! 

 

Cheers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gareth pinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...