Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

Message added by Jim,

Where's Galicia? You can see the latest AIS tracking map by clicking here!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She's  in...

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

Some more

Posted Images

On 17/10/2020 at 16:56, Solo said:

But all of the fleet have the cabins numbered with 4 numbers, starting with the deck number, deck 9 always starts with a 9.

Not always... back in the days of the Val De Loire there were 4 digit cabins. 01XX was for Deck 1, 10XX for Deck 10. As Ed has said, only really an issue if you've got more than 100 cabins on a deck.

I would expect the numbering logic to follow the same as per the Stena design as it's not just a case of what's on the door but what's in the blueprints for the plumbing system, the electrics etc.

When P&O had the Olau twins and changed the decks from letters to numbers (EG Deck K became Deck 1), the onboard key printing systems still needed the letter to print a key. 0205 was J205, for example.

On 17/10/2020 at 18:31, nodwad said:

Just wonder why it is taking so long to publish the deck plans?i know it is not a very important issue but a lot of us would like to see where the cabins are.stay safe

I think largely because doing so is a relatively minor activity. The main purpose of those plans is to be handed out at check-in, so there's no real need until they need to start handing the out. Hopefully they'll have them before too long as public service creeps closer.

Not 100% sure - but the NI Ferry site by @tarbyonline has plans for the Estrid: https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-estrid-first-look/ and Edda: https://www.niferry.co.uk/stena-edda/ which may drop some hints.

On 17/10/2020 at 17:53, David Williams said:

I do vaguely remember a post earlier in this thread that said the 09 cabins were at the front of the ship and the 9 cabins at the rear (or the reverse), however the search facility  is not up to it !

We've got 09's and we're facing the stern.

Booked on the Portsmouth - Cherbourg return for next spring. Got a 4 berth outside club with the number 7101. Can't wait!

If all the e-flexers's had Swimming pools and spa treatment rooms that would be a complete gamechanger for BF. As the Pont, Cap and BDS can all be directly replaced.  I can see Pont moving over to St-Malo in the future with some form of refurb.

I wonder whether they could retro-fit Swimming pools on them during a later refit? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bf Bretagne said:

Booked on the Portsmouth - Cherbourg return for next spring. Got a 4 berth outside club with the number 7101. Can't wait!

If all the e-flexers's had Swimming pools and spa treatment rooms that would be a complete gamechanger for BF. As the Pont, Cap and BDS can all be directly replaced.  I can see Pont moving over to St-Malo in the future with some form of refurb.

I wonder whether they could retro-fit Swimming pools on them during a later refit? 

I'd love to see pools but they are so rarely used on current ships it seems unlikely. The spa is a good point though. Presumably that can go in any space on the Galicia. After all PA and CF entered service without one 

11 hours ago, Bf Bretagne said:

I suppose the extra crossing time could be spent in the pool ! and extra money spent in the SPA

Edited by IanN
Added content
11 hours ago, Bf Bretagne said:

I would imagine “slotting in a pool” is easier said than done. It’s a huge weight of water sloshing around unlike Ed’s recently purchased garden pool, the structural reinforcement needed would be considerable, never mind any stability issues caused. 

I think it goes without saying that once all 3 E Flexers are operating PA should logically head to St-Malo. I initially scoffed at your comment about a refurb as she’s in general a well laid out and much loved vessel, but there are far too many cabins and especially of the rather cramped 2 berth variety. It would be quite a job but converting a good number of these to more spacious 4 berths would suit the customer and new route better. 

Spas on longer routes yes but also interactive group sessions such as cultural talks, language courses, howtogetmoreuseoutofmysmartphone courses to help pass the time on the longer Spanish routes. There’s nothing wrong with BF’s 80’s designed vessels, a Ferry is a ferry, a cabin a cabin but if updated with airline style entertainment technology and effective free WiFi in all areas and all ships, well that really would be a game changer.

Chris

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fine Whine said:

I would imagine “slotting in a pool” is easier said than done. It’s a huge weight of water sloshing around unlike Ed’s recently purchased garden pool, the structural reinforcement needed would be considerable, never mind any stability issues caused. 

Indoor pools are usually situated down in the lowest part of the ship, where there are multiple ballast, waste and fuel tanks so weight and stability wouldn't be an issue. 

Galicia will once again depart Santander on Saturday to allow Cap Finistere in and again on Monday for Pont-Aven - Galicia will be entering the dry dock next Tuesday (Oct 27th) and she will be re-flagged the following day (Oct 28th) when Brittany Ferries crew take over the ship. Although the date is currently unknown, Galicia is still due to go to Le Havre for Ramp Trials next month.

• Thanks 1

In terms of swimming pool and spa facilities on ferries would these be better located below car decks like they used to be? I'm not sure if the latest safety regulations allow this though. I guess they'd also be more exclusive and private areas to use as well as less "sloshing" of water. The best facility I can think of is Finnjet's swimming pool area. Spacious with a decent sized swimming pool too.

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Galicia will once again depart Santander on Saturday to allow Cap Finistere in and again on Monday for Pont-Aven - Galicia will be entering the dry dock next Tuesday (Oct 27th) and she will be re-flagged the following day (Oct 28th) when Brittany Ferries crew take over the ship. Although the date is currently unknown, Galicia is still due to go to Le Havre for Ramp Trials next month.

Have there been any BF officers on board during all the trials?  With all the movements in and out of Santander it would be good practice.  Why didn't they use a lay by berth?

I'm in the top deck camp. Rather than have metre after metre of empty blue painted steel which is essentially a waste of space I'd much rather see a pool /spa area, when the sun shines the surrounding areas dry off far quicker too lessening the chance of a slip, trip or fall. I'm a big fan of Cap Finistere's top deck although I prefer the overall lay out of Superfast XI.

Whether inside or out they're all drained and off limits in poor weather anyway.

10 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

Hence why I mentioned indoor.

It is indoor on Pont Aven. Same as Silja's Serenade & Symphony to name two. Upper deck covered pool & spa areas are more common than many think.

• Like 1