Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

And the BF properties were very thin on the ground in the places the family wanted to go to.

House for ten with a pool  on the Ile de Re, they said last year -  because they were flying in to La Rochelle airport in the way young metropolitans do - we were the only ones in the group using car + ferry.

Edited by wortley
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And off she goes...

She's  in...

Some more

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Bearing in mind your previous comment about ferry pricing next year, we shared a cottage with friends just outside Potes (Picos, Spain) in July 2017 so high season. I can’t find the ticket but from memory paid around £1600 all in, accommodation, return ferry on PA from/to Plymouth including a car, 4 adults and 2 outside 4 berth cabins each way, £400 per head. I booked the complete package through BF holidays, they were very helpful. A few weeks later I put in a dummy booking for ferry only on the same dates and it was almost as expensive.

It might pay you to at least cost the whole thing using BF before committing, you may be pleasantly surprised....
Chris

prices are up..economie service  3 adults / car / outside 4 berth cabin ..rosslare /bilbao return.. going out  july 2nd ..return july 18th 2021 on connemara is €1529.00 return. 

1 hour ago, mr.t said:

prices are up..economie service  3 adults / car / outside 4 berth cabin ..rosslare /bilbao return.. going out  july 2nd ..return july 18th 2021 on connemara is €1529.00 return. 

Are Lingus from Dublin to Bilbao for 3 adults for that very fortnight,  plus two weeks car hire on arrival is half that total amount.  Is Brittany Ferries shooting itself in the foot for tourist traffic? 

14 minutes ago, wortley said:

Are Lingus from Dublin to Bilbao for 3 adults for that very fortnight,  plus two weeks car hire on arrival is half that total amount.  Is Brittany Ferries shooting itself in the foot for tourist traffic? 

I'd say it probably is with that level of price difference. Add in the time saved, assuming mr.t doesn't live in the furthest south west corner of Ireland and the flight would seem to make sense. 

Until you remember of course that "Mr. T ain't gonna gettin' on no airplane!"

Ed. 

• Haha 3
9 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'd say it probably is with that level of price difference. Add in the time saved, assuming mr.t doesn't live in the furthest south west corner of Ireland and the flight would seem to make sense. 

Until you remember of course that "Mr. T ain't gonna gettin' on no airplane!"

Ed. 

ur right i wont be getting on airplane...i live in dublin but rosslare is only under 2 hours drive at speed limit .im also hoping to go rosslare bilbao in january 2021 prices are €557 return for 1 adult/car / outside cabin......

Listening to Simon Calder and others in recent weeks, I do wonder for how much longer 'young metropolitans' and others will be taking advantage of cheap & convenient short-haul flights, at least to the same degree as they have been doing the last ten years or more. We could soon be looking at quite a different travel landscape, and potentially this is something which could benefit the ferry operators. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mr.t said:

Fair enough it's not cheap but travel from Ireland to continent Europe rarely is - do you have the 2020 price for comparison? Out of interest I've just done a dummy booking with Irish Ferries out of Dublin for a car, 3 people and 4 berth outside club cabin both ways in July and racked up a bill of almost 1500€ in the process....

Chris 

48 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

Listening to Simon Calder and others in recent weeks, I do wonder for how much longer 'young metropolitans' and others will be taking advantage of cheap & convenient short-haul flights, at least to the same degree as they have been doing the last ten years or more. We could soon be looking at quite a different travel landscape, and potentially this is something which could benefit the ferry operators. 

If they are smart and don't price themselves out of the Spanish market.

The slower ferries coming in won't help under 24 hours is the magic figure

We are looking at September on PA prices range from £725 to £785 for two plus car flexi ticket with CV membership so not to bad. I expect this will rise significantly if the vaccine works  

15 hours ago, Fine Whine said:

Fair enough it's not cheap but travel from Ireland to continent Europe rarely is - do you have the 2020 price for comparison? Out of interest I've just done a dummy booking with Irish Ferries out of Dublin for a car, 3 people and 4 berth outside club cabin both ways in July and racked up a bill of almost 1500€ in the process....

Chris 

chris just looked through email...we went out rosslare/bilbao on august 5th and returned on august 20th  2020....2 adults 1 child (adult now) car/outside 4 berth cabin économie service on kerry was €979 return

trev

• Thanks 1

I have complained on here several times on the disparity in pricing between Ireland/Spain and U.K./Spain and the lack of Club Voyage discounts.  We use both routes each year and it seems to me that Cork/Rosslare-Spain on Economie was as dear or dearer than Plymouth/Spain on PA and no CV discounts or breakfasts.

On 18/11/2020 at 23:11, Chef said:

They are wheelchair accessible cabins but not exclusively for wheelchair users only, and available to all .

direct from the press pack

Wheelchair accessible cabins: 2-bunk bed cabin with porthole reserved for wheelchair users. These Premium Plus outdoor cabins are specially adapted for wheelchair users and have an alarm and telephone. Their availability is limited and early booking is essential. Twin beds, flat-screen TV + VOD on TV and personal devices, wheelchair access to the bathroom, UK/European and USB sockets. Ambient floor lighting wishing occupants “Bon voyage ˮ. 

As someone who has had to travel with a wheelchair occupant in a standard four berth cabin in the past, anyone booking a wheelchair accessible cabin who does not require wheelchair accessibility or at least has severe mobility issues is incredibly selfish IMHO.  The additional space is there for a reason - the space required to manoeuvre a wheelchair and to transfer a wheelchair occupant to the berth / toilet / shower.  These cabins are also equipped with pull cords to call for help.  I for one hope that Brittany Ferries ensures that these cabins are only available to those with genuine need, and not those who just want the "extra space".

As 2-berth cabins are bookable I'd suggest these are actually 4-berth cabins with two bunks folded away, as is the case elsewhere.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

As someone who has had to travel with a wheelchair occupant in a standard four berth cabin in the past, anyone booking a wheelchair accessible cabin who does not require wheelchair accessibility or at least has severe mobility issues is incredibly selfish IMHO.  The additional space is there for a reason - the space required to manoeuvre a wheelchair and to transfer a wheelchair occupant to the berth / toilet / shower.  These cabins are also equipped with pull cords to call for help.  I for one hope that Brittany Ferries ensures that these cabins are only available to those with genuine need, and not those who just want the "extra space".

But they can be sold onboard once the ship leaves so that people who were unable to book accommodation beforehand can take advantage of the extra, unused capacity. 

Ed

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

But they can be sold onboard once the ship leaves so that people who were unable to book accommodation beforehand can take advantage of the extra, unused capacity. 

Ed

“Early booking is essential”.  There’s a decent chance there will be more than two wheelchair users onboard on busier crossings were such unused capacity would need to be used anyway.  Stena publicly have a policy of moving people out of disabled cabins if they aren’t disabled (it’s even stated on their site), I hope others have the same.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, tarbyonline said:

“Early booking is essential”.  There’s a decent chance there will be more than two wheelchair users onboard on busier crossings were such unused capacity would need to be used anyway.  Stena publicly have a policy of moving people out of disabled cabins if they aren’t disabled (it’s even stated on their site), I hope others have the same.

To clarify - I should have said more than two wheelchair users wanting to travel!

• Like 1
On 28/11/2020 at 01:11, tarbyonline said:

direct from the press pack

As 2-berth cabins are bookable I'd suggest these are actually 4-berth cabins with two bunks folded away, as is the case elsewhere.

We have friends who have adopted 2 severely disabled children and although they live near Hull, they always travel with BF because crossing from their local port isn't geared up to them travelling with 2 wheelchairs.

• Like 2

That's interesting to hear. As a part-time wheelchair user I've used both P & O in Hull and BF. BF was mixed, Armorique like most of the fleet sadly only has 2 berth accessible cabins, so had to compromise as we are a family of 4 with 2 young children. It seems most interior designers for cabins don't expect disabled people might have more than one companion. On PA we had a four berth so that was OK, I believe MSM has them too i think?

P  & O were great for us. Huge 4 berth outside with TV and fridge. On board crew helping push me around and on and off the boat. Out of the two if I had to travel in my wheelchair then the latter would win. But I am only one traveller and aware that it may be different for others. Both beat flying by a mile, and sadly, train travel on anything but the major LNER routes for us. 

I would like to see companies have more 4 berth disabled cabins, it's disappointing that Galicia doesn't. I'd say it's more important than having Bon Voyage illuminated on the floor..

Edited by Tumnus2010
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

That's interesting to hear. As a part-time wheelchair user I've used both P & O in Hull and BF. BF was mixed, Armorique like most of the fleet sadly only has 2 berth accessible cabins, so had to compromise as we are a family of 4 with 2 young children. It seems most interior designers for cabins don't expect disabled people might have more than one companion. On PA we had a four berth so that was OK, I believe MSM has them too i think?

P  & O were great for us. Huge 4 berth outside with TV and fridge. On board crew helping push me around and on and off the boat. Out of the two if I had to travel in my wheelchair then the latter would win. But I am only one traveller and aware that it may be different for others. Both beat flying by a mile, and sadly, train travel on anything but the major LNER routes for us. 

I would like to see companies have more 4 berth disabled cabins, it's disappointing that Galicia doesn't. I'd say it's more important than having Bon Voyage illuminated on the floor..

I believe this is geared around a disabled person and a carer travelling.  Disabled hotel rooms tend to be the same in my experience, though many holiday inns (in the UK at least) offer a complementary second adjacent room if you ask.  Regulations for new ships may also be different than for older tonnage 🤔.

On the E-Flexer's the disabled cabins are actually two single beds (not bunks but standalone beds) - much harder to bump your head transferring between wheelchair and berth!  The older Visentini's had 4-berth disabled cabins but from what I understand much of the time only two berths were occupied!

The disabled toilet facilities on Stena Estrid are first class btw, and the ships are spaciously laid out enough that even my father in his large electric wheelchair could move around with ease.  The lifts are also roomy, and there isn't the large step into the lifts/stairwell on the upper vehicle deck that there usually is.  He was very impressed.

Edited by tarbyonline
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

I believe this is geared around a disabled person and a carer travelling.  Disabled hotel rooms tend to be the same in my experience, though many holiday inns (in the UK at least) offer a complementary second adjacent room if you ask.  Regulations for new ships may also be different than for older tonnage 🤔.

On the E-Flexer's the disabled cabins are actually two single beds (not bunks but standalone beds) - much harder to bump your head transferring between wheelchair and berth!  The older Visentini's had 4-berth disabled cabins but from what I understand much of the time only two berths were occupied!

The disabled toilet facilities on Stena Estrid are first class btw, and the ships are spaciously laid out enough that even my father in his large electric wheelchair could move around with ease.  The lifts are also roomy, and there isn't the large step into the lifts/stairwell on the upper vehicle deck that there usually is.  He was very impressed.

I used a disabled cabin aboard Pride of Bilbao, April 2010, a few months before her final sailing, that had twin lower beds with a decently equipped shower room. I'd never used one before or haven't done so since but I was impressed considering the age of the ship.

• Like 1
  • Gareth pinned this topic