Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

The next ship to join Brittany Ferries’ fleet will be called Salamanca, she will be powered by cleaner LNG and she took to the water for the first time last week.

Salamanca's launch ceremony took place on 6 January 2021 at the CMJL shipyard in Weihai, China, where she is under construction. She is the second of three E-Flexer class ships ordered by Brittany Ferries and will join sister-ship Galicia, when she enters service in the spring of 2022.

Fleet renewal is one of the pillars of Brittany Ferries’ five-year recovery plan. The investment in new ships was made well before the pandemic began, but a trio of cleaner, more efficient and comfortable vessels will help secure the company’s future ensuring the continuity of passenger and freight services.

“In spite of Brexit and Covid which have cost our company several hundred million euros already, I am resolved to remain on our path towards eco-responsibility and energy transition,” said Jean-Marc Roué, president Brittany Ferries. “It is a formal commitment I’ve made: we will continue, despite these crises, to reduce our carbon footprint, to keep on improving our fleet and to contribute to the development of the regions we serve. Salamanca is a good illustration of this. By renewing our fleet today, we are ensuring a return to growth tomorrow and Brittany Ferries and our partners remain confident in the future.”

Galicia entered service in December 2020. Salamanca will join her in 2022 with Santoña following in 2023. Both Salamanca and Santoña will be powered by LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) and will serve the company's long-distance routes connecting the UK with Spain.

Each E-Flexer vessel promises a significant reduction in air quality and greenhouse gas emissions. They are also smoother, quieter and benefit from less vibration with better sea handling, to the benefit of passengers.

Salamanca will be powered by cleaner LNG (liquefied natural gas). This is a fuel which emits virtually no sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide or particulate emissions, following combustion. In addition, because LNG burns more efficiently than diesel, there is a reduction in carbon dioxide (CO2) output of around 25 percent.

The facilities for storing LNG will be supplied by Repsol in Spain. Under the terms of the agreement, the fuel company will build two quayside LNG bunkering terminals in the ports of Santander and Bilbao, including a 1,000 m3 storage tank to ensure uninterrupted supply for Salamanca and Santoña.

“Passengers expect more comfortable, cleaner, greener vessels and society rightly demands sustainability as standard. Shipping companies that fail to improve are therefore destined to fail,” added Christophe Mathieu, chief executive Brittany Ferries. “It’s why these E-Flexer ships are so important as we look to emerge from the current crisis. Galicia, Salamanca and Santoña, are clear evidence that we are determined to sail towards a sustainable and a successful future.”

Aside from fuel, all E-Flexer vessels have been designed with the environment and efficiency in mind. Particular attention has been given to fuel-efficient propulsion plants and long, slender hull and bow design. Friction-reducing silicon paint coats the hull, further reducing fuel consumption, while propeller and rudder design brings improved manoeuvrability.

Salamanca is equipped with two Wartsila 12V46DF engines generating 13,740 kW each (18,500 horsepower per engine). Thanks to energy recovery, electricity production on board comes with low CO2 emissions. Alternators installed on shaft lines produce energy even at very low speeds, which means the ship’s electrical generators are only needed when the ship is alongside.

Bow thrusters work in harmony with articulated rudders, making it possible to facilitate the tightest turns in the harbour.  There is no need for stern thrusters. And when it comes to vibration, passengers will notice just how little there is. Fin stabilisers have already proved effective on sister-ship Galicia, minimising roll and smoothing the choppiest of seas through the Bay of Biscay.

This combination of LNG propulsion, efficient design and greater carrying capacity, compared with the ships she will replace, means a significant reduction in carbon footprint on Brittany Ferries’ long-haul services between the UK and Spain.

Like her sister, Salamanca will weigh-in at over 42,000 gross tonnes. That means she will be one of the largest ships ever to serve the company, and at 215 metres long she will be joint-longest. She will carry 1,015 passengers, with over 2.7km of lane-space to house passenger and freight vehicles.

She will of course be French-flagged and crewed by dedicated French seafarers.

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/first-lng-powered-ferry-to-serve-uk-takes-to-the-water/

Brittany-Ferries-Salamanca-takes-to-the-water-2.jpg

Brittany-Ferries-Salamanca-takes-to-the-water-3.jpg

Brittany-Ferries-Salamanca-takes-to-the-water-1.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And off she goes...

She's  in...

Some more

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Each E-Flexer vessel promises a significant reduction in air quality and greenhouse gas emissions. They are also smoother, quieter and benefit from less vibration with better sea handling, to the benefit of passengers.

An unfortunate typo!

Also, side note, am I the only one that finds the e-flexer design very pleasing on the eye?

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, fiobhaniar said:

An unfortunate typo!

Also, side note, am I the only one that finds the e-flexer design very pleasing on the eye?

Perhaps that means this was also a typo:

'She will of course be French-flagged and crewed by dedicated French seafarers'

I suspect 'dedicated' was meant to read 'disgruntled'.

Ed

I know it’s irrelevant (As we know she’s going to be re-flagged to France) ... But as she was coming out of the dock, I couldn’t help but notice Salamanca was temporarily flagged to Limassol > Am I right in thinking Galicia was initially flagged as Portsmouth.

I’m sure it’s a flag of (temporary) convenience, but was just wondering why Galicia & Salamanca had different flag states...

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, daves_pad! said:

I couldn’t help but notice Salamanca was temporarily flagged to Limassol

Registered in Limassol for the delivery voyage, the same as Galicia was registered in Portsmouth for her delivery voyage. The team who delivered Galicia will also be delivering Salamanca, (Northern Marine Ship Management).

14 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Registered in Limassol for the delivery voyage, the same as Galicia was registered in Portsmouth for her delivery voyage.

So... not the same as Galicia then.

Presumably the delivery crew will not be Stena personnel this time then (?).  (I presume the UK registry of Galicia was because the bridge was staffed by British Stena officers for her delivery voyage).

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

So... not the same as Galicia then.

Presumably the delivery crew will not be Stena personnel this time then (?).  (I presume the UK registry of Galicia was because the bridge was staffed by British Stena officers for her delivery voyage).

Stena Embla carries the Cypriot flag and, I presume, is staffed by British Stena officers

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Presumably the delivery crew will not be Stena personnel this time then

Galicia wasn't delivered by Stena Crews, only Embla, Estrid and Edda have been.

As above, I said that Salamanca will be delivered by Northern Marine Ship Management LTD, as Galicia was.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
18 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Galicia wasn't delivered by Stena Crews

Ok, well that’s new information, thanks.  I was going by what we were told during Galicia’s delivery voyage by a poster who I thought was reliable, but I guess he must have made a mistake at that time.

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Northern Marine is a Stena Company

https://www.nmg-stena.com

Exactly.

To be fair we've got into a discussion on semantics here.

The Estrid, Edda and Embla were picked up and delivered by a Stena LINE crew, the Galicia was delivered by a Stena RoRo supplied crew (Northern Marine crew all Stena RoRo ships that aren't bareboat chartered).

Not that it really matters :)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

To be fair we've got into a discussion on semantics here.

Tony's information is still correct though.

1 minute ago, Gareth said:

Which version - the earlier information or the latest one?

Crews - Regardless of whether Stena own Northern Marine.

I hate being pedantic, however if I was I would point out that Stena is the name of the Group which includes Stena Line, Stena RoRo, Northern Marine etc.

Therefore using the term Stena includes all companies, to restrict it to the operator one would need to say Stena Line.

• Like 1

Stena own the Galicia. shall we say that the current crew work for Stena, Brittany Ferries or the owners of Brittany Ferries?

On 02/10/2020 at 22:44, TonyMWeaver said:

There also seems to be some confusion over the handover and reflagging, Galicia was originally due to sail from the Suez Canal to Algerciras followed by Portsmouth, Cherbourg, Bilbao then Santander for berthing trials while still with Stena's crew. Once in Santander, the handover and reflagging was due to take place followed by her drydocking for her final touches, as quoted by Brittany Ferries.

This was one of the posts that gives rise to the confusion.  I don’t think it’s the only one (so it’s only an example), but the messaging we had during the delivery voyage was clear that Galicia had a Stena crew.

31 minutes ago, Gareth said:

This was one of the posts that gives rise to the confusion.  I don’t think it’s the only one (so it’s only an example), but the messaging we had during the delivery voyage was clear that Galicia had a Stena crew.

That is because, at that time, I was unaware that Northern Marine were responsible for the delivery voyage as many were guessing that Stena or BF themselves would be doing it. Northern Marine is an offshoot of Stena and as far as i know, NMSML crews do not crew a regular service.

My source who sent me photos during Galicia's delivery voyage told me weeks ago that he would be delivering Salamanca which is currently scheduled for November, and I would guess that he will also be doing Santona too.

• Like 1

It all started with a question about why Salamanca is registered in Cyprus whilst Galicia was registered in the UK.  The red herring is probably my fault, because I pontificated that the reason might have been that the Galicia delivery crew was British.  Turns out that was not the case (on both counts, the reasoning and the fact).