Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I wouldn't mention herrings, red or otherwise. The EU will grab at least 25% of them if you do. Ed. 

It's OK, the UK boats that catch herring mainly land it in Norway or Denmark as Brits don't like it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some more

I can confirm, she does fit Millbay (this is from the opposite side of Plymouth Hoe, next to the barracks)    

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

Posted Images

On 12/01/2021 at 14:45, TonyMWeaver said:

Galicia wasn't delivered by Stena Crews

Eh? BF hired a crew from Stena AB Northern Marine to sail her from China, you were in personal contact with a senior mariner on board, which I believe was the Captain? 

She was only handed over to a BF crew once the familiarisation and dry docking in Santander was completed.

I note that Stena Embla will sail from Rosslare to Cherbourg this evening.

Steve's niferry site is now reporting that she'll sail to Rosslare from Belfast this evening then probably head to Cherbourg.

Edited by jonno
found more info.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, jonno said:

Eh? BF hired a crew from Stena AB Northern Marine to sail her from China, you were in personal contact with a senior mariner on board, which I believe was the Captain? 

She was only handed over to a BF crew once the familiarisation and dry docking in Santander was completed.

BF didn't hire a crew - delivery by Stena RoRo to BF was in Europe so she was still a Stena managed ship until that point.

As for the GALICIA delivery crew, it would be wrong to call them Stena Line crew as that's the ferry company but "Stena crew" is totally acceptable as Northern Marine is a Stena company and indeed the Northern Marine crew were employed by Stena RoRo to bring the ship to Europe.

Northern Marine is very integrated into the Stena organisations, they even directly managed and employed the Irish Sea fleet/crew for a few recent years - plucking figures from thin air to save a deep dive in emails, I'd say 2013 - 2018.

Not sure why this has turned into such a big discussion 😛 

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, jonno said:

Steve's niferry site is now reporting that she'll sail to Rosslare from Belfast this evening then probably head to Cherbourg.

She will operate a roundtrip to Cherbourg on Thursday and Saturday ex Rosslare.  STENA HORIZON requires some urgent maintenance.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question in this thread....

I was Just looking at the deck plan of Galicia, I can now see where the freight cabins are (aft on deck 8 ) and we all know how popular they are with freight drivers, 😕 but looking further at the deck plan, I note the reclining seat lounge appears to have no showers nearby, The only showers I can see if aft of deck 8 (Freight drivers showers...) Does that mean reclining seat passengers have to share the shower facilities with freight drivers?   I worry if that’s the case, drivers will be further annoyed if they don’t know that yet?! 

20 minutes ago, RickOShea said:

She will operate a roundtrip to Cherbourg on Thursday and Saturday ex Rosslare.  STENA HORIZON requires some urgent maintenance.

I wonder what is up with Horizon. 

The showers on Pont-Aven are in the ‘les Finisteres’ area and near the Reserved seat lounge, full access to it 24/7 > The other ships I’m sure have showers, I know on Normandie & MSM they are by the cinema and Seat lounges.....

Edited by daves_pad!
17 minutes ago, daves_pad! said:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question in this thread....

I was Just looking at the deck plan of Galicia, I can now see where the freight cabins are (aft on deck 8 ) and we all know how popular they are with freight drivers, 😕 but looking further at the deck plan, I note the reclining seat lounge appears to have no showers nearby, The only showers I can see if aft of deck 8 (Freight drivers showers...) Does that mean reclining seat passengers have to share the shower facilities with freight drivers?   I worry if that’s the case, drivers will be further annoyed if they don’t know that yet?! 

Worry not!

There is a shower in both the ladies' and gents' toilets adjacent to the reclining seat lounge.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, jonno said:

So is this a practical example as to why they are called an E Flexer

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Chef said:

So is this a practical example as to why they are called an E Flexer

Well indeed - designed to operate to a largely degree of suitability on pretty much any route in the fleet. This will become the fourth route Stena have used one on.

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Stena used NMSML for the delivery voyage, the delivery voyage had nothing to do with Brittany Ferries until Galicia arrived in Santander. My source, who was the master for the delivery voyage is employed under the NMSML arm of the company.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

I don't recall any of the Stena Irish Sea E Flexers carrying out berthing trials at Rosslare , Irish Ferries had WB Yeats do a berthing trial at Rosslare on her delivery voyage .

3 hours ago, Chef said:

I don't recall any of the Stena Irish Sea E Flexers carrying out berthing trials at Rosslare , Irish Ferries had WB Yeats do a berthing trial at Rosslare on her delivery voyage .

There are many myths about berthing trials. They aren't essential to a ship entering service on a route. Usually well advised if the ship isn't clearly an obvious fit for a berth or it's going to be a long term deployment and modifications may be needed. But bottom line is berthing trials aren't 100% essential as somebody will have modelled things. That's not always totally accurate mind you.

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure someone told me, back when were discussing Galicia’s berthing trials and I wondered if they would send her to Rosslare in case they wanted to use one of their Flexers at Rosslare at some stage, that there was no need for Galicia to trial at Rosslare because one of the Stena Flexers had already trialled there.  Can’t remember who said it, or which ship it was, or whether it was in a forum post or a PM.