Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

17 hours ago, lg12 said:

Would the reclining seat passengers normally have access to showers on other ships such as the Pont Aven?

Sounds both dangerous and impractical, even if Pont Aven happens to be alongside Galicia at the time...

• Haha 3
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe anyone wanting such a thing would find one located just off the side of the ship...

She's  in...

Some more

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Gareth said:

I’m pretty sure someone told me, back when were discussing Galicia’s berthing trials and I wondered if they would send her to Rosslare in case they wanted to use one of their Flexers at Rosslare at some stage, that there was no need for Galicia to trial at Rosslare because one of the Stena Flexers had already trialled there.  Can’t remember who said it, or which ship it was, or whether it was in a forum post or a PM.

No - no eflexer went there until today but she clearly coped ok - only departing 50 minutes late.

7 hours ago, RickOShea said:

No - no eflexer went there until today but she clearly coped ok - only departing 50 minutes late.

Maybe what I was told was future tense then - that there was no need for Galicia to trial Rosslare because a Stena Flexer would be going there at some point.  Whatever - I was told something about one of the Stena ones going there, anyway.

Over on the Irish Ferries Enthusiasts site there is an excellent aerial photo of Stena Embla alongside at Rosslare and Stena Europe on the adjacent pier , worth looking at to see the comparison in size of the two ships .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Chef said:

Over on the Irish Ferries Enthusiasts site there is an excellent aerial photo of Stena Embla alongside at Rosslare and Stena Europe on the adjacent pier , worth looking at to see the comparison in size of the two ships .

Saw this on Twitter. The Europe was looking rather fine, to my mind much the more interesting of the pair

Edited by VikingVoyager
accidental link to whole twitter page!
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Chef said:

Looks like Embla didn't use the double link span , does she have internal ramps ? or was it a case of not needing to use all her lane metres .

NI Ferry site say that both she and Galicia have tilting internal ramps between decks.  

They also state that they both offer twin-level drive-through loading configuration. I know Galicia has some kind of different stern ramp thing (technical term) though.

3 hours ago, George Cooper said:

How will the introduction of the Salamanca affect sailing routes? Will the Cap Finistere be based in Plymouth next year? Or will the Salamanca be moved there? Thanks.

No one knows yet - I suspect BF doesn’t even know for sure, yet, either - they’ll be keeping a close eye on how traffic develops over the year and keeping their plans fluid.  There’s probably a provisional plan though.

Possibilities have been discussed in several previous threads, and there are various theories.  Most of them assume Salamanca will go to Portsmouth to partner Galicia, freeing CF for alternative deployment, and there are various thoughts on that alternative deployment.  The main two being either to go to Plymouth, replacing PA which in turn would replace Bretagne.  The other being to go to Rosslare to take over the Bilbao route from Connemara.  That’s where my money is.

• Like 3

Thanks Gareth! Hopefully it’ll be Plymouth on a purely selfish basis as we have dogs and live in Somerset. The new ferries are superb, but they do take a bit longer and one of our Springers isn’t that fond of seeing on the boat!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Most of them assume Salamanca will go to Portsmouth to partner Galicia, freeing CF for alternative deployment, and there are various thoughts on that alternative deployment.  The main two being either to go to Plymouth, replacing PA which in turn would replace Bretagne.  

Wouldn't CF be too big for Cork?

5 minutes ago, lg12 said:

Wouldn't CF be too big for Cork?

Yes, that’s one of the reasons I don’t think she’ll be replacing PA.  There would have to be a rejig of Plymouth schedules to enable Armorique to do the Cork sailings (which won’t be popular with the Irish).  That or a complete pull-out of Cork in favour of Rosslare (which would equally go down like a lead balloon).

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

The other being to go to Rosslare to take over the Bilbao route from Connemara.  That’s where my money is.

Gareth keep a wary eye on any extended maintenance period for Cap Finistere over the next 12 months or so, it may well indicate which way BF are leaning.

CF has seven open loop scrubbers, Barfy & Normandie too, which are banned in and around the Irish ports of interest, I have a feeling that BF won't want to keep her burning MGO for too long if Ireland is her ultimate destination, not powering the guzzlers she has at at rate.

On 18/01/2021 at 13:39, George Cooper said:

How will the introduction of the Salamanca affect sailing routes? Will the Cap Finistere be based in Plymouth next year? Or will the Salamanca be moved there? Thanks.

CF will leave the fleet once Salamanca arrives.

• Shocked 1