Galícia, Salamanca and Santona - Newbuilds for Spanish Routes (e-flexers)

Andy

37 minutes ago, jamie said:

maybe sea trials are not too far away

And if you’re right and going by previous delivery timescales the in service date of late March seems very generous. Hopefully if the commercial situation allows we’ll see her much sooner.

The big unknown at the moment is what happens to Cap Finistere, she’s the same age as Mont st Michel so has plenty of life left, let’s hope BF can find somewhere for her that makes money.

2 hours ago, nick hall said:

And if you’re right and going by previous delivery timescales the in service date of late March seems very generous. Hopefully if the commercial situation allows we’ll see her much sooner.

The big unknown at the moment is what happens to Cap Finistere, she’s the same age as Mont st Michel so has plenty of life left, let’s hope BF can find somewhere for her that makes money.

The Cap' is a year or two older than Monty, her launch is embedded in my memory... 32nd birthday back in 2000.

I agree though, plenty of life left in both.

Cap's two biggest obstacles are that she's a bit pax light in terms of berths and needs an engine rethink if she's to be a viable replacement for Ireland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonno said:

The Cap' is a year or two older than Monty, her launch is embedded in my memory... 32nd birthday back in 2000.

Cap's two biggest obstacles are that she's a bit pax light in terms of berths and needs an engine rethink if she's to be a viable replacement for Ireland.

You could always swap the engines around with Galicia😜 Solves both problems

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jonno said:

By my maths (which isn’t brilliant 😜) if the cap was built in 2000 and we are in 2021 that makes her 21.

3 hours ago, jamie said:

By my maths (which isn’t brilliant 😜) if the cap was built in 2000 and we are in 2021 that makes her 21.

That's right, launched 11th March 2000, my 32nd birthday. MSM was launched in 2002.

• 2 weeks later...

As Salamanca now appears in 2022 timetables (Portsmouth-Bilbao), the BF website includes a 3D virtual tour of the ship. Obviously, the layout is identical to Galicia but the decor looks the same too. Have they used the same set of pictures? Can anyone spot any differences (colour schemes, artworks etc) which may help to give each vessel a bit of individuality?

On 26/08/2021 at 21:47, Tregastel said:

Can anyone spot any differences (colour schemes, artworks etc) which may help to give each vessel a bit of individuality?

The ships name on the side.😉

• Haha 2

Well they should really rethink the serving area on Salamanca and Galicia in the self service restaurant. Galicia is way too small and to cope with the lack of flow through the area (the drink area runs in parallel with food and means you have to counter flow through the area and then come back again to get to the till) they have additional staff asking you what you want to drink and they get it for you. All rather bottleneck. They did not seem to mind my request for hot water (I bring my own tea bags as hot water is free), but cramped and illogical the whole thing is. Queue was long as a result when I came back from Cherbourg this week and in Covid times, that makes it very uncomfortable.

5 minutes ago, SRN4 said:

Well they should really rethink the serving area on Salamanca and Galicia in the self service restaurant. Galicia is way too small and to cope with the lack of flow through the area (the drink area runs in parallel with food and means you have to counter flow through the area and then come back again to get to the till) they have additional staff asking you what you want to drink and they get it for you. All rather bottleneck. They did not seem to mind my request for hot water (I bring my own tea bags as hot water is free), but cramped and illogical the whole thing is. Queue was long as a result when I came back from Cherbourg this week and in Covid times, that makes it very uncomfortable.

Do you think the bottlenecks are due to people all wanting to eat at the same time on the short crossing? Perhaps on the longer route to Spain this demand is spread out better.

Ed

True, but it is a 1/4 or a 1/5 of the size of MSM. Bretagne's little Cafe area is bigger and the flow through the area reverses as you go to get drinks, so in any scenario it will be a bit strange. 

On 03/09/2021 at 10:18, Cabin-boy said:

Do you think the bottlenecks are due to people all wanting to eat at the same time on the short crossing? Perhaps on the longer route to Spain this demand is spread out better.

Ed

Probably but you will have to do it a number of times on the slow crossings so it probably balances out

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, eddy said:

Can anybody confirm the very sad news that Cap Finistere will be withdrawn from service for good at the end of October ?😱😱😱

My wife will be disappointed she does like what she calls the "Tuck Shop" while waiting to board at Bilbao. The slow boats from China will put us off using Bilbao to Portsmouth.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not a fan of these Chinese E Flexers. They are like motorway service stations at sea and have no charm whatsoever. I have been on Galicia a couple of weeks ago and the spanish theme does not work for me of the spark decor. The food was poor, crew were overworked and flustered and the selection of wines was abysmul with poor below par spanish wines. No real choice of french wine or premium spanish wine such as Arzuaga. 

Shame to me the slow boat from china to me doesn't live up to the Brittany Ferries standard and expereince i expect and enjoyed over the last 30 years.  I came back on Cap Finistere which I feel (many will disagree) is a much nicer ship, the crew were lovely, food was great, fantastic selection of wine,  and it is a shame if she does leave the fleet to be replaced by a poor quality budget chinese Stena ferry. 

• Like 2

It does appear to be that budget options are the BF future. It is really difficult to fortell the ongoing commercial prospects for UK/France ferries. Looks very much like lowest common denominator.

I am just grateful that we experienced the glory days when Brittany holidays were a family adventure with their 'Holiday Fleet'. Very much part of our family history.

So sad really.

Yes Holiday Fleet is slowly becoming no more. BF will kill it off for many holidaying passengers. Freight Drivers will have little choice on sailing the 30 hours plus sailings from Portsmouth to Spain.

If BF replace Pont Aven with Santona then that would be a crazy thing to do.  I honestly feel the E-Flexers should be branded as Economie as they don't deserve to wear the Brittany Ferries name. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SIC said:

If BF replace Pont Aven with Santona then that would be a crazy thing to do. 

I disagree. I'd rather have a vessel fit for purpose rather than one which is shabby, a bag of spanners and has reliability issues. When it comes to customer offer in terms of wines and food, the decisions made will be fleet wide they won't be targeted to individual vessels.

I agree with your observations regarding Cap Finistere but the simple fact is that she is expensive to run, has limited passenger space and doesn't offer the cabin variety you find in the other Spanish sailing ships. Her lack of commodores is a very real reason why some won't even contemplate sailing on her.

If you're of the opinion that the E-Flexer should be branded Economie what about Armorique?

I think there is a bit of a difference between France and Spain.

UK - France is just overnight usually and  not much time on board. so minimal facilites are acceptable as passengers just want to get on and off as soon as possible with a tolerable bunk en route.

The Spanish route is longer so the  facilities of the vessel assume more importance.

But esentially the same vessels with similar facilities service both routes.

At the end of the day we are just talking about ferries where the really important thing is your destination and its delights. The ferry trip is a bit secondary really.

• Like 1