Stena purchase 'Hammerodd'

• Andy changed the title to Stena purchase 'Hammerodd'

Coincidence !  My daughter crossed the Cook Strait from Wellington New Zealand only yesterday on Straitsman - another sister ship of that one.  (The rival ferry company on that route down there has the old Pride of Cherbourg as its flagship )

So, I wonder what the reason for Stena's interest might be.  Heysham - Belfast perhaps?  Not aware of any other Stena routes for which maximum size of craft is an issue - unless there is something in their Scandinavian network that requires this sort of size of vessel?

Stena are looking for a 2nd vessel to partner Nautica on their Grenaa-Varberg route. According to Ferry & Cruise review there's talk of them relocating from Varberg to Halmstad from 2019, both vessels are similar in length. Maybe they want her for that?

41 minutes ago, northsaul2 said:

Condor are not interested in her.  Cost of removing the extra deck and the duck tails too much I understand.  Shame, they need to do something, either this or the Express.

And still no news on the inter-island tender.

The Express as the one in my link?  They definitely should be interested in her, Libby on her own is just not working.  They need two boats like before and there is a spare cat sitting there waiting.

3 hours ago, Khaines said:

https://www.maatsuyker.com/express

Regarding Condor boats, this is sitting awaiting charter...😉

She's back in use with Viking and has just enjoyed a very successful summer between Helsinki & Tallinn. Viking will probably take up the option one her for next year too.

She's the old  P&O Portsmouth/ Cherbourg Express.

There are few INCAT's available out there, Austal's too.

Edited by jonno
50 minutes ago, jonno said:

She's back in use with Viking and has just enjoyed a very successful summer between Helsinki & Tallinn. Viking will probably take up the option one her for next year too.

She's the old  P&O Portsmouth/ Cherbourg Express.

There are few INCAT's available out there, Austal's too.

What about the two Austals being displaced like Hammerodde from Bornholm services by the impending change of operator?  Leonora Christina would be rather good on Poole-CI.

4 hours ago, Hawser Trunnion said:

What about the two Austals being displaced like Hammerodde from Bornholm services by the impending change of operator?  Leonora Christina would be rather good on Poole-CI.

HT she's gone to the Canary Islands. I agree though the hull design is far more stable for the channel and the choppy seas around the C.I's but they still have a 3.5m wave restriction.

4 hours ago, northsaul2 said:

I don't think Condor would go back to 3 fast craft, I was thinking, more Liberation to the Southern route and the ex P&O Express to the Northern one

The Express is too small for the Poole route, she's 10m shorter than Rapide.

I’d like to think Condor is coming round to a realisation that it needs to move away from the fast cat model for its cross-Channel service.

Nick I hear what you say about Hammerodd but don’t you think that, rather than buying a second-hand near sister of their existing ro-pax, they would be better off designing a pair of new builds of CI-max dimensions with both adequate provision for freight and an improved offering for passengers?  That way they could offer a quality, reliable twice-a-day service from their primary hub at Portsmouth.  Liberation could then provide her niche thing from Poole (probably seasonally) with it perhaps mattering a little less when her sailings are disrupted.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

I’d like to think Condor is coming round to a realisation that it needs to move away from the fast cat model for its cross-Channel service.

Nick I hear what you say about Hammerodd but don’t you think that, rather than buying a second-hand near sister of their existing ro-pax, they would be better off designing a pair of new builds of CI-max dimensions with both adequate provision for freight and an improved offering for passengers?  That way they could offer a quality, reliable twice-a-day service from their primary hub at Portsmouth.  Liberation could then provide her niche thing from Poole (probably seasonally) with it perhaps mattering a little less when her sailings are disrupted.

If Condor find re-modifying Hammerodde back to her original configuration too expensive I somehow doubt if they would be able to raise the money to finance the construction of two CI-Max all purpose ferries.

• Like 1

Why do Condor have to get rid of that extra freight deck? If anything we could think creatively. This deck should be used as the platform for extra cabin accommodation. Fact is this was the best short solution they could have gone for, pending long term fleet renewal with pupose built vessels.