Sign in to follow this  
TerryDorset

Refuelling before Cherbourg

Batting up the Frence road network from the Vendee to Cherbourg late last week, I thought I'd top up the tank before returning to the UK. I know, prices in France are under deep discussions elsewhere on the forum, but supermarket diesel is undeniably cheaper there than in the UK, even with the UKP at such a low level against the Euro.

Anyway, I thought that rather than trust in the Esso Express outside the port I'd stop off just off the N13, knowing there was an Intermarché station in Valognes. I was pleasantly surprised to find a new Leclerq hypermarché and filling station immediately off the main road. Okay, I still had to battle through the town which, it seems, is currently having its entire road network dug up, but I still saved a centime/litre over the Intermarché and more than that over the Esso Express. It could also be handy for any last minute shopping on the way home.

Worth knowing about anyway.

Oh, and the steak and frites on Barfy were superb :)

Edited by TerryDorset
Typo
  • Like 2

Yes, I strongly agree. I too found the new Leclerc at Valognes by accident. Heading towards Cherbourg it is very esay to get off the N13 and back on again (a bit more time consuming going the other way). Heading to Cherbourg, just take the first exit to Valognes and you cannot miss Leclerc. Then follow the "old" road straight through town. If you have time, stop in Valognes, it is a pleasant town and the traffic is not generally bad, even on market day (road works excepted). Leclerc also has the benefit of very modern and, so far for me, very reliable pumps, unlike the Esso in the port which half the time seem to have a fault. Allow about 20 - 25 mins to drive from Leclerc to the port.