Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Junk dealer tried to take WW2 shells on board

A brocante who tried to take two WW2 shells on board BF at Ouistreham has appeared in court at Caen. He was carrying them in an Ikea bag when searched at the port.

https://actu.fr/normandie/ouistreham_14488/un-brocanteur-anglais-tente-dembarquer-sur-ferry-deux-obus-pres-caen_13448008.html

Interestingly, as well as being fined, he has also been ordered to pay BF compensation.

• Confused 1

Given the size of the munitions he was carrying it would not be difficult to spot them. Particularly when they went through the baggage scanner. What's more worrying is would they have been picked up if he had been traveling by car? If a sniffer dog had been on duty that day then maybe but if not the random searches might have overlooked this guy. Ed. 

One wonders just how common this is!  One third of all the British shells fired off during the preliminary bombardment for the Battle of the Somme at the end of June 1916 failed to explode -- and until recently many were still there.  I don't know what the present position is but I saw a number during the course of my visits to the area but that's some years ago now.  I understood the French Army had stepped up its bomb/shell disposal patrols because of increased interest in WW1 in recent years.  It seems local farmers turn them up during ploughing operations and then throw them about and dump them in a pile by the side of the road to await collection.  It seems the chance of one actually going off is negligible to non-existent.  However it might be different if one was put on a bonfire!

I would guess the temptation to bring one home hidden in a vehicle or elsewhere might prove overwhelming for some!