cvabishop

St Malo Dockers’ Strike

4 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Off topic but I thought I needed to clarify some oversimplified statements on french affairs. As a french native who knows not enough on British politics, I refrain from commenting on these matters.

Nobody is going to be laid off. The reduction is going to be achieved by not replacing staff when they take retirement or not renewing temporary staff.

Furthermore, all these measures were clearly outlined in his manifesto and he got elected and has received a comfortable overall majority in parliament. The last rounds of union demonstrations have lost a lot of momemtum. Even the SNCF workers have not been massively on strike since the summer. Work law reforms have been adopted.

Point taken.

5 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Off topic but I thought I needed to clarify some oversimplified statements on french affairs. As a french native who knows not enough on British politics, I refrain from commenting on these matters.

Nobody is going to be laid off. The reduction is going to be achieved by not replacing staff when they take retirement or not renewing temporary staff.

Furthermore, all these measures were clearly outlined in his manifesto and he got elected and has received a comfortable overall majority in parliament. The last rounds of union demonstrations have lost a lot of momemtum. Even the SNCF workers have not been massively on strike since the summer. Work law reforms have been adopted.

Eloquently said Yohann

Chris

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Pont-Aven' is currently dropping her lines, about to depart Portsmouth. Going ahead as scheduled. I wonder if she'll get diverted to Cherbourg during the crossing.

I sincerely hope not as I’m picking Mrs FW up tomorrow morning in Saint-Malo and need to be back in Roscoff by 10h45 to work....>:(

Chris

Condor Rapide has just left St Malo but going by Condors website she has no Passengers on board.

The Pont is heading to her berth.

one thing i dont understand is how can dockers stop Condor from loading Rapide with passengers? 

15 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

Aa a friend of ours, who is Mayor of a small town on the Loire, says "les françaises sont ingouvernable". No translation necessary!

This evenings St Malo - Portsmouth sailing has now been cancelled as a result of the dockers strike. 

I have friends stuck on the other side who were on a weekend party cruise awaiting news of the plan for getting home.

So the ship was allowed to dock and unload what presumably would have included a contingent of short break and 24 hr passengers in the knowledge that it would be prevented from sailing?

Anyone wish to express support for the poor downtrodden dock workers now?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Well that's a bit of a turnaround cvabishop. I didn't expect to read that.😉 

Edited by G4rth

In past years we have often been over to SM on a 24hr return, sometimes with our daughters. If I had returned to the ship at 7pm or so on a freezing night after a cold day to be told that the sailing had been cancelled you can imagine my feelings. I just hope the stranded passengers have been allowed to overnight on the ship before being faced with a drive to Cherbourg or Caen the next day,  almost certainly vowing never to repeat the experience.

On the face of it this has been an unbelievably cynical ploy by the strikers. We won't be going to France anytime soon.

26 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Surely BF must have know with what had happened previously what the dockers were going to do ,the forum members certainly did.

How on earth can you lay blame at the door of BF for this?  Are you seriously suggesting they should have cancelled a sailing on the basis of a mere suspicion?  Sorry, that was out of order in an attempt to defend the indefensible.

I wasn’t blaming anyone but people posted on here what had happened with the Condor sailings letting people disembark so surely that was going to happen with the BF sailings too?

Tony posted wondering if she would be diverted and Macc posted about Condors issues that was what I was referring too , I never apportioned blame.

Edited by neilcvx
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Ok sorry if I misunderstood where you were coming from.  So, what are you suggesting about what BF should have done?

No idea I’m glad I’m not in their shoes certainly @cvabishop has a point about people on a 24 hour crossing,maybe not let them on?

The PA has just left St Malo and on her AIS its saying she is heading to Portsmouth.

So does she have passengers on board or not?

its seems to me that the Dockers are saying yes ships can berth and offload passengers but no ships can leave with passengers on board.

i still dont get how the dockers can stop BF AND Condor from loading up the ships as do they have anything to do with loading of the ships apart from berthing and leaving,

Edited by Macc2010

3 hours ago, cvabishop said:

So the ship was allowed to dock and unload what presumably would have included a contingent of short break and 24 hr passengers in the knowledge that it would be prevented from sailing?

So Mrs FW successfully collected from St Malo this morning which was a relief. Unfortunately her work colleague and husband were on a 24 hour jolly with their car, and have now been rerouted through Caen tomorrow morning. I’ve no idea yet who’s paying for their hotel this evening. The big problem is all those poor passengers on a round trip (there were 157 footies) who left their belongings on board so had to be bussed to the ship to collect them this evening.

All I can say is it’s a complete shambles and it shouldn’t be happening to those poor souls who have been innocently drawn in to a dispute they have nothing to do with, and so close to Christmas as well.

Chris

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

So Mrs FW successfully collected from St Malo this morning which was a relief. Unfortunately her work colleague and husband were on a 24 hour jolly with their car, and have now been rerouted through Caen tomorrow morning. I’ve no idea yet who’s paying for their hotel this evening. The big problem is all those poor passengers on a round trip (there were 157 footies) who left their belongings on board so had to be bussed to the ship to collect them this evening.

All I can say is it’s a complete shambles and it shouldn’t be happening to those poor souls who have been innocently drawn in to a dispute they have nothing to do with, and so close to Christmas as well.

Chris

How are footies getting to Caen? Do they have to make there own way?

The behaviour as reported of the French unions is absolutely disgraceful. Deliberately stranding the passengers is unbelievable really. On what possible basis can they justify such action? And the French Authorities appear to be supine. Thr UK Government ought to be making appropriate representations.

OK, it's not BF's fault but who will be willing to book a Christmas excursion in the future? Not me! So they will be well out of pocket.

• Like 1