cap fin 67

Pride of Kent, Heavy contact in Calais.

I wonder if that is purely to do with drifting into shallow water or whether she has taken in water.  If the latter she might have been deliberately beached?

France Info are saying the vessel has been blown onto a sandbank within the harbour but she's safe and no injuries are reported which is the main thing. They are aiming to try to refloat her around 17h00 local time which is just before the next high tide.

It's going to play havoc with Calais Port until then; makes a change from striking French fishermen blocking it .....O.o!

Chris

Yes, on thinking about it deliberate beaching would have required more control over the situation than seems to be apparent from the reports coming in.

They seem to have put her on the nearest linkspan berth which, if my memory serves me correctly, is normally used not by ferries but by vehicle carriers.

Edited by Hawser Trunnion
Clarification

Yes it’s the UECC berth, generally used by ships rather smaller than the Dover ferries.  It seems to have been just off this berth that Tony indicated she went aground.

Not doubting it.  What I’m confused about is that she was aground when almost on the berth and now seems to be afloat when sitting on it.  But thinking about it, there’s a simple explanation - tide must have come up a bit.  

It looks as though with the arrival of tugs Puissant and Triomphant Pride of Kent is now back on her correct berth once again. The 3 vessels held in port for the afternoon sailed an hour ago, Prides of Canterbury, Burgundy and Spirit of Britain are now heading for the harbour entrance so normal service is resuming.

Chris

Interesting.  So, is there any other possible explanation for that (apart from an engine issue unrelated to the incident) than the engine room must have been part-flooded?

True, damaged propellor (or prop shaft) could explain it.  Although I was under the impression that the collision damage and grounding was all up the other end at the bow.  Might be wrong.

There is no mention in any of the French press reports I've looked at of her hull being damaged enough to let in water; if that had been the case I doubt she would have sailed to Dunkerque so soon. Very different from most of the English tabloid headlines reporting how she "smashed" into Calais Port. Ok she did rearrange a jetty just a wee bit......:$

It looks as though rather than reversing off the berth to swivel round near the harbour entrance she turned almost immediately, would have then been side on and at her most vulnerable as a violent squall came though and pushed her across the port. With the captain applying full thrust to try and save the situation I imagine the propellors would have bitten into the sandbank and mullered the prop shaft in the process, as happened to Pont Aven in different circumstances last year.

Chris