Pride of Kent, Heavy contact in Calais.

I hope this isn’t a sign that the independence of the MAIB, and it’s reputation for getting to the truth however uncomfortable it may be, is now becoming compromised by a pandering to political correctness and avoidance of upsetting commercial sensitivities.  If P&O management was culpable in pressurising the master to make an unseamanlike decision, then that needs to come out.  The origins if the MAIB stem back to the HoFE inquiry, after all, in which due criticism of company management was not shirked.

Not saying P&O was culpable, but in avoiding digging into the thought process of the master, it does leave questions unanswered that, rightly or wrongly, raises questions about whether the MAIB declined to go there deliberately.  If the issue was in the draft report, but then removed during the consultation as a result of (legal?) pressure by P&O, then the whole integrity of the MAIB is at stake.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update from Tarbyonline on the situation with Pride of Kent - copied from his post on the DFE forum with his permission:  

The MAIB investigation into this incident is now (finally) out to consultation.  Which means publication of the report won’t be far away.  Not sure how long they give for the consultation stage but I

Yes funny that isnt it???

Posted Images

2 hours ago, scarlton said:

Perhaps they dug and found no firm evidence of pressure? Maybe verbal only and the captain didn't want to admit it. No doubt that there was pressure, there always is. Just a thought.

Agreed.  But you’d think that if they’d done that, they’d have said so in the report.  “No evidence was found that the master was under pressure to leave the berth without delay”.

3 hours ago, Gareth said:

Agreed.  But you’d think that if they’d done that, they’d have said so in the report.  “No evidence was found that the master was under pressure to leave the berth without delay”.

Yeah. It's odd, but I don't buy into the theory of brown envelopes etc. Perhaps I'm being naive though and don't want to believe it..