cvabishop

French Speed Limit Changes

On 07/03/2018 at 21:37, Jardinier said:

Apparently, the effectiveness of this new measure will be evaluated in 2020.

Yes, I heard this weekend that the Prime Minister (who is personally piloting this scheme) will review the results after two years to see if road deaths (which I think rose again in the first two months of this year) start to decline. If they don't then the government may revert to the original 90kmph limit and try and find another way to tackle the problem. Alcohol and or drugs are still the cause of 30+% of all fatal accidents with speed and tiredness following on. So they have decided to crack down on the second cause as its the only one which brings in money even though adopting a Swedish-style zero tolerance to alcohol would be a more logical first step.

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/la-securite-routiere/l-observatoire-national-interministeriel-de-la-securite-routiere&ved=2ahUKEwiN-vzlyPjZAhVIVBQKHT5VD7wQFjAMegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1Wn4F9585IHZjl2ppzy8mk

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

Some tips for driving in Finistere. They, the locals, do not know the word "courtesy". They do not accelerate joining dual carriageways or motorways they just push in at the end of the slip road. They do not drop down a gear or anticipate hills. They stick in top gear until they lose all speed then drop down a gear. They do not follow the roads around car parks they go diagonally and are very dangerous. As I understand it they will continue at 90kph whatever the law says!

13 hours ago, RayWild said:

Some tips for driving in Finistere. They, the locals, do not know the word "courtesy". They do not accelerate joining dual carriageways or motorways they just push in at the end of the slip road. They do not drop down a gear or anticipate hills. They stick in top gear until they lose all speed then drop down a gear. They do not follow the roads around car parks they go diagonally and are very dangerous. As I understand it they will continue at 90kph whatever the law says!

I was following a truck at around 80 here yesterday on a stretch of road I regularly use and noticed the ride was quite bouncy. I suspect the road imperfections that the car normally glides over at 90 are more noticeable at lower speeds which will make journeys not only longer but more tiring too. Has anyone else experienced the same? Ed

Just a quick reminder to anyone travelling over to France this weekend, or already here, that as of midnight tonight the speed limit on main roads drops from 90 to 80kmph. I don't know if BF have been highlighting the change onboard but the authorities should be replacing all the signage tonight. Interviews on TV with Gendarmes seem to suggest that for the first few weeks they will be relatively tolerant with those who drive too fast, preferring to educate offenders rather than penalise them. Fixed radars will however now flash drivers at 80 and will be recalibrated immediately. If anyone wants further information this is the official site:

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/connaitre-les-regles/reglementation-et-sanctions/baisse-de-la-vitesse-maximale-autorisee-de-90-a-80-km-h&ved=2ahUKEwi827PmmfvbAhVBEBQKHUe4DBIQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3KdBmZ3hYSwO7ZqOUNT5iX

Ed

Driven about 100 miles today on a mixture of roads and have been pleasantly surprised by the number of local drivers sticking to the new limit on the first day even though not all the new speed limit signs have been uncovered or old ones replaced. Perhaps it’s because it is Sunday. Of course there are still those locals who think that any speed limit is for everyone but themselves and those who take it as a personal insult to be traveling behind a car with foreign number plates no matter what is coming the other way.

One point I had not appreciated until the overhead gantry signs were explaining last week, the new limit only applies on roads without a central divider/barrier. Dual carriageways with a 90kph limit stay the same.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SpecialK said:

One point I had not appreciated until the overhead gantry signs were explaining last week, the new limit only applies on roads without a central divider/barrier. Dual carriageways with a 90kph limit stay the same.

Yes, any road with a physical central divider (metal barrier or raised pavement) which prevents overtaking, such as most ring-roads or dual carriageways, is exempt and will not change. That only represents, I think, around 20% of the total (mostly around the big cities) so the other 80% (in rural areas) will drop to 80kmph.

A lot of people were shown on the TV news last night being pulled over by the police and given printed information rather than fines for not sticking to the new limit. There seemed to be a mix of those who were not aware of the change (did the information campaign fail? or are they just too daft - as this is a family-friendly website - to understand? In which case the police should have confiscated their licence on the spot!) and those who forgot the change was taking place on Sunday 1st July (ditto the last comment, given it was announced at least 6 months ago). And then there were those who, once the police were out of earshot, said that they though it was ridiculous and would continue to ignore it whenever possible (at least their brief interview will help the authorities to identify their remains when they end up on a slab in the morgue with the front end of a Massey Fergusson embedded in their smug faces). 

Ed. 

I saw someone on Twitter who was going to ignore the change as the new signs were too shinny and you couldn’t see them in sunny weather.

• Confused 1