Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Best (French) beef cut for Christmas roast?

Recommended Posts

Thanks to TerryDorset and Rileyman.

Have now ransacked SuperU, Biocoop and Mono without success. So will admit defeat this time and try to remember to pick up a jar in Waitrose – not Colemans, thanks – if I'm over in the UK in Jan. Or ask a kind person to bring one – for a small liquid fee!

Interesting to see the "Britannique" section in the local U – I would love to know how the buyers / merchandisers arrived at their selection of items to include. I noticed that the bottom shelf consisted mostly of baked beans – you can guess what brand. 

For anyone wanting a last "stock up" of French supermarket goodies before the ferry, I can recommend Super U Caen Beaulieu. Minutes from the N13 Carpiquet – Ms Google knows it well. Much less of an expedition than the Carrefour hypermarché at Mondeville.

Thanks for all the hints and tips – have a good Christmas.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are in the Chichester area go to Adsdean Farm Shop and look at their counter, the beef is excellent and properly hung. You should not need steak knives to eat any steak if it has been properly hung indeed it is at the right point if you can just about full a hook through it and it will be a very very dark red colour. A decent restaurant should not feel the need to issue special cutlery for any types of beef steak. (Dad was a butcher - this is his view.) A slow cooker, any cut of beef, red wine and plenty of time is a marriage made in heaven. Most joints are too small to survive roasting in modern ovens.

Edited by Millsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a rule we do not transport food from one home to the other (apart from 'les restes/leftovers). However, raw horseradish from Waitrose is an exception.But, specialist Epiceries do tend to have it for sale in La Manche..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/12/2017 at 18:23, kenw said:

Interesting to see the "Britannique" section in the local U – I would love to know how the buyers / merchandisers arrived at their selection of items to include. I noticed that the bottom shelf consisted mostly of baked beans – you can guess what brand. 

1

Slightly off-topic, but on a couple of work trips to the Philipines this year, I was most amused to find that one local supermarket, Rustan's, has a Waitrose section. Another, SM, has 'British Favourites' from Tesco. It was interesting to see what constituted 'British' (and that a £2 box of Waitrose Shortbread at home costs £8 out there).

image.png.5a881d767c51dbfd7152f7584617e5e2.pngimage.png.5fd1e210313eb69f5a845ac28225ff56.png

 

 

@kenw - I hope you had a good Christmas meal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jim said:

Slightly off-topic, but on a couple of work trips to the Philipines this year, I was most amused to find that one local supermarket, Rustan's, has a Waitrose section. Another, SM, has 'British Favourites' from Tesco. It was interesting to see what constituted 'British' (and that a £2 box of Waitrose Shortbread at home costs £8 out there).

image.png.5a881d767c51dbfd7152f7584617e5e2.pngimage.png.5fd1e210313eb69f5a845ac28225ff56.png

 

 

@kenw - I hope you had a good Christmas meal!

If your wife checks your credit card statement each month you could have some explaining to do when a shop called SM in the Philippines appears on it. :D Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

If your wife checks your credit card statement each month you could have some explaining to do when a shop called SM in the Philippines appears on it. :D Ed. 

Not half as miffed as she would have been if the SM carrier bag I bought stuff home in contained Tesco Picked Onions ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...