Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2018 Latest News

52 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Yep it was the new berth, stern first, constructed for the arrival of Normandie in 1992.

Of course the next problem is if these protests continue (diesel almost impossible to find in Brittany now) what will happen when PA takes over on Friday as she certainly won’t fit at Ouistreham....😳

Chris

Diesel situation should ease with the increase in fuel duty being suspended. Panic buying yesterday at Challans had queues from HyperU spilling into the roads. Glad I still have half a tank and a week to find more.

54 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Now that’s one of your better ideas Gareth 😉

Well, for passengers heading to St Malo, Roscoff is probably a more convenient landing point than Le Havre, we know PA fits in Roscoff, and PA has the speed to make the crossing in the time she would take to get to St Malo.

(Plus, of course, all the attractions awaiting them in Roscoff! 😉).

18 minutes ago, Gareth said:

(Plus, of course, all the attractions awaiting them in Roscoff! 😉).

Quite. But if they can't buy any fuel to actually get there it might not be the best solution. Ed. 

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Quite. But if they can't buy any fuel to actually get there it might not be the best solution. Ed. 

Spoil sport...:P

Wonder what the reason for Ouistreham over Cherbourg was though. Barfleur has berthed successfully there so you'd assume no significant issues there and apparently plenty of space. I think Ouistreham is a shade quicker to St Malo in a car but that's the only reason I can think of? 

10 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Wonder what the reason for Ouistreham over Cherbourg was though. Barfleur has berthed successfully there so you'd assume no significant issues there and apparently plenty of space. I think Ouistreham is a shade quicker to St Malo in a car but that's the only reason I can think of? 

Possibly because the port staff were already there due to Normandie's turnaround and could stay on to handle the passengers from Bretagne. The staff in Cherbourg probably don't come in until a couple of hours before Barfleur arrives and calling them in specially would have been complicated. Ed. 

I imagine there’s going to be some cancellations this weekend. Here’s the predicted wave height for 06h00 on Sunday morning; with Roscoff getting the 8 - 10 metre stuff you can see why Plymouth is so often cancelled in winter. Caen and St Malo sailings could be a bit hairy too, and I would imagine Barfleur will keep her head below the parapet....o.O

Chris

786D674B-CA6B-4F26-8DF0-A47AA73935C4.png

21 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

I imagine there’s going to be some cancellations this weekend. Here’s the predicted wave height for 06h00 on Sunday morning; with Roscoff getting the 8 - 10 metre stuff you can see why Plymouth is so often cancelled in winter. Caen and St Malo sailings could be a bit hairy too, and I would imagine Barfleur will keep her head below the parapet....o.O

Chris

786D674B-CA6B-4F26-8DF0-A47AA73935C4.png

Luckily *the* december ferry isn't until next week ;)

Having said that, I was impressed with Etretat in a force 6-8 storm. Obviously a lot of movement, but given the conditions I thought she handled it very well (although the car was caked in salt and soot the next morning!).

The Gilets Jaunes in St Malo say "we have the port, and we will keep it. That will hit their wallets." Outsiders have come in and hardened attitudes. The port is totally closed to commercial and pleasure traffic, with only the local fishing fleet being allowed access. Up till the port blockade, things were fairly civilised here, but that has all changed, and they are promising tougher actions to come. Confrontation is of course what the extremists seek, so how long they can keep any public support remains to be seen.

• Sad 3

On 04/12/2018 at 10:10, Gareth said:

Or, perhaps better, Roscoff?

If Honfleur will fit Ouistreham, Pont Aven will too. Same draft, same beam and a few metres shorter than the new build.

2 hours ago, jonno said:

If Honfleur will fit Ouistreham, Pont Aven will too. Same draft, same beam and a few metres shorter than the new build.

But that’s not now.  Only after the necessary work has been undertaken at Ouistreham (as far as I understand, including re-siting of the eastern retaining wall) in order to accommodate Honfleur.  Honfleur would not fit there today.

I see the Bretagne is presently underway to St Malo with an eta of 8am (local)..They must be confident the port is now open

24 minutes ago, Gareth said:

But that’s not now.  Only after the necessary work has been undertaken at Ouistreham (as far as I understand, including re-siting of the eastern retaining wall) in order to accommodate Honfleur.  Honfleur would not fit there today.

Ah...I thank you sir!

8 hours ago, Paully said:

I see the Bretagne is presently underway to St Malo with an eta of 8am (local)..They must be confident the port is now open

I'm quite surprised. After reading Colin's post yesterday I was able to find perhaps half a dozen reports about the port being blocked and as far as I'm aware there have been none since saying it's reopened. The situation is extremely fluid and seems to change from hour to hour. French radio last night were reporting fuel shortages in Brittany, Normandy and the Pays de la Loire but predicted things should be back to normal within 48 hours. However, there is the possibility of a truckers' strike starting Sunday night and the farmers launching wildcat strikes all next week, so watch this space. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

Bretagne duly arrived in St Malo this morning. Not sure what is happening, as the Gilets Jaunes insist they are continuing the blockade. I will be at the Sablons in an hour, so will drive round and see what the current situation is.

• Thanks 1

Big police presence when I tried to get there. The Gilets Jaunes have been pushed away, along the quayside of the Bassin Bouvet, and the barricades etc are being removed. Protesting is tolerated, but after a certain point, the law which forbids blocking a public highway is imposed. I imagine both sides will keep on alert for a while ….

From this afternoon, access should be clear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4