Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2018 Latest News

16 minutes ago, Gareth said:

For all al the stick she gets, Armorique is a very handy member of the fleet for BF.

She’s a great little ferry, looking forward to being on her again in a nice club plus cabin in August, I would suspect it’s the last ship BF would part with.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gareth said:

For all al the stick she gets, Armorique is a very handy member of the fleet for BF.

Versatility and the extra top speed sometimes required to make up for lost time. I was on her once when she left Roscoff 1 hour late and still arrived almost on time in Plymouth.

• Like 2

Yes.  Capable of standing in for any ship (and has done) on any route (and has done, apart from Cork).  BF had a good day when they conceived her.

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

She’s a great little ferry, looking forward to being on her again in a nice club plus cabin in August, I would suspect it’s the last ship BF would part with.

Just the Godawful M5 first😉...That`s the main thing that put us off using that route. shame as the Armorique does look like a great way to cross. But you`re braver than me Neil..Bon Chance

• Thanks 1

The arrival of 'Armorique' into Portsmouth this afternoon has been delayed. Arrival now scheduled for 14:30, with the departure expected at 16:00.

Capture.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Possibly why Honfleur in many respects is a longer interpretation of her?

17 minutes ago, Gareth said:

on any route (and has done, apart from Cork).

Over her first winter she performed berthing trials at Cork, maybe at some point that route was also on the minds of those in BF Towers too? 

22 minutes ago, Paully said:

Just the Godawful M5 first😉...That`s the main thing that put us off using that route. shame as the Armorique does look like a great way to cross. But you`re braver than me Neil..Bon Chance

We’re driving down through trough the night and getting the 8:15 am sailing, the struggle is real.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wortley said:

Same story there as at Roscoff - Pont Aven goes in forwards, Armorique reverses in.  The elders on here will tell me why. 

Armorique would have loaded from the bow in Ouistreham, off-loading from the stern in Portsmouth. The same as Normandie and Mont St Michel do.

25 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Armorique would have loaded from the bow in Ouistreham, off-loading from the stern in Portsmouth. The same as Normandie and Mont St Michel do.

Thanks. I grasped that. But why does  Pont Aven do it the other way round? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wortley said:

Is Pont's reason because of Cork where she is stern in, hence why she goes bow in at Roscoff.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wortley said:

Because she goes stern in at St Malo, on her summer routes it's the other way around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aiden said:

Here's my pics of pont aven and armourique 

IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2515.JPG

IMG_2656.JPG

Nice pics. No disrespect but, could you please at least make a point of spelling Armorique correctly? As a born and bred Breton, it makes cringe to see "Armourique".... As if her name wasn't displayed in big enough letters on her side! 

• Like 1

Great photos - the first two members of the fleet to wear the new uniform, together.  Really striking comparison of the sizes of the two ships.

Regarding berthing - there are certain BF ports where particular modes of berthing are preferred.  Generally, always stern-in at Cork, St Malo, Le Havre and Poole.  Bow-in at Caen.  The rest (Portsmouth, Plymouth, Roscoff, Cherbourg, Santander and Bilbao) work equally well either way round.  So, you can see why St Malo and Cork force Pont Aven into different modes at Portsmouth depending on the season.

28 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

That scrubber installation on the Pont is truly horrible! No amount of repainting can even begin to mitigate its appearance!

It's true that photo number 6 above is unfortunate as it looks like all that dark cloud is coming out of her funnel. Ed.