Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2018 Latest News

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

The industrial action on the ship is interesting, does anyone know what that was about or was it just a late crew change due to celebrations yesterday.

A worrying sign.  Been quite a while since there has been on-board industrial action.  Most of the recent distruption has been by shore staff not directly connected to BF.  Hope this is not the start of something more widespread.

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

CF is now underway and Arm is on the berth. Perhaps Chris will have an insight into what is going on. Ed. 

“Ce retard est dû à un mouvement salarial de 4h qui a été prolongée par la hauteur d eau insuffisante pour permettre notre départ”

So the delay in leaving was due to industrial action involving the employees, lasting 4 hours, and which was then exacerbated by tide levels which were too low to allow the ship to put to sea. 

Thanks. Ed. 

• Like 1

Tides here are certainly an issue at Springs when high tides are high and low tides low. This morning for instance there was only just over 1 metre of water at 04h00 and over 8.5 metres at the next high tide in 2 hours. At Neaps next week there will be nearly 3 metres at low tide and only 7 meters at high tide - the joys of sailing!

So back to facts, as far as I can ascertain the engineering Union wanted an amendment to their members contract on Cap Finisterre guaranteeing a work contract for 15 months rather than the standard 12. The company refused so the engineers refused to sail, with a knock on effect of interfering with Amorique's schedule and consequent late departure. Apparently the Cap was still on the berth at 17h00 yesterday so I'll fine out in a few minutes from customers arriving this morning what time Armorique finally left Plymouth.

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
Hit the send button too soon!
  • Thanks 2

No repeat as far as I can see.  CF is now playing catchup for the rest of the week, but from the updates page BF is expecting her to be able to catch up 45 mins by the time she gets back to Portsmouth tomorrow.  I can't see any evidence of further industrIan action....but then again you never know.  I'd be interested in DW's source.

The sailing updates plus tweets are now showing Roscoff - Plymouth being delayed by Industrial Action and this morning they were not. I accept that is a different ship amd it does not say onboard action.

Roscoff to Plymouth 17/07/18 14:40 - We are sorry to advise you that as a result of industrial action, your sailing today from Roscoff is delayed and will now leave at 17:50. Furthermore, due to naval movements in Plymouth the ship is unable to berth until 23:10 this evening. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. 

Plymouth to Roscoff 17/07/18 22:00 - We are sorry to advise you that as a result of industrial action, your sailing this evening from Plymouth to Roscoff is delayed and will now be leaving at the later time of 00:40. Latest check-in is at 23:59. The arrival time in Roscoff tomorrow morning remains unchanged at 08:00. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Edited by David Williams

Gosh I hadn't seen that.  Thanks David - that is clearly different industrial action to that which took place on CF yesterday.  No way this can be a knock-on consequence.  So yes, looks like we have hit the start of some summer madness. 🙁

It's exactly the same problem as yesterday, a handful of engineers instructed by their union to sit on their backsides for 3 hours. I love this country but their are times when I despair.....:S

And the knock on effect is Connemara is sitting outside the harbour waiting to berth and unload....

Chris

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I take it it’s just Caps engineers? ,let’s hope it doesn’t spread to the other ships.

I believe it is the Armorique this time, let's hope that it doesn't spread to other ports !

Edited by David Williams

24 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

It's exactly the same problem as yesterday, a handful of engineers instructed by their union to sit on their backsides for 3 hours. I love this country but their are times when I despair.....:S

Agreed.

Back in Havant this morning, out for another sail to the IOW this afternoon...

I spoke in depth to the purser on Normandie last night, he was aware of the disruption in Roscoff over the last 2 days but not to the extent it has affected sailings. This isn’t just a Roscoff problem though and could affect the whole fleet. Management and Union representatives are meeting on board in Ouistreham this afternoon, let’s just hope they see sense because there is no doubt it could escalate.

He was as exasperated as I am, saying under his breath “c’est toujours les mêmes”, always the same people holding the company and fare paying passengers to ransom which tarnishes the good name of BF and leaves the front of house staff to take all the flak.

Fingers crossed .....😤

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I can see why they might want a 15-month contract as that would cover the period August 2018 to October 2019 which is what the timetables will cover when they are released. But the next batch (released in July 2019) will only add 12 months of sailings to the existing options so at that point BF will be obliged to renew contracts for 3 months beyond the timetable cut-off date and every year after that it'll only get worse. Given that they will at some point have to get rid of CF, it seems strange to offer a contract for work on a vessel which may no longer exist. Ed.