Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2018 Latest News

11 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Any news on the cause of the fire?

The papers just say that it was a small electrical fire that the crew managed to put out before the fire brigade arrived, however the problem is likely to be replacing the components that went up in flames.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/normandie/caen-14000/ouistreham-debut-d-incendie-le-ferry-mont-saint-michel-reste-quai-6006715

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DucdeNormandie said:

They've just cancelled the Monts 1400 sailing.ÔĽŅ

BF are not doing themselves any favours by being too optimistic and cancelling at the last moment, the disruption on passengers is high. Unfortunately this also means the overnight Portsmouth to Caen has been cancelled as well.

yes my other half is booked on it with out dog and i am worried now about getting them home within the time frame of the  tapeworm treatment - dog owners will know what i am talking about,

Problem with electric fires is that unless the onboard engineers can effect repairs sufficient to go back safely into service, it's a dockyard job...

As time goes on it looks more like the latter 

48 minutes ago, DucdeNormandie said:

yes my other half is booked on it with out dog and i am worried now about getting them home within the time frame of the  tapeworm treatment - dog owners will know what i am talking about,

Does the window for travel expire at the time when you check the dog in on the French side or the moment when they recheck the documents on the UK side? Ed. 

3 minutes ago, Paully said:

Problem with electric fires is that unless the onboard engineers can effect repairs sufficient to go back safely into service, it's a dockyard job...

As time goes on it looks more like the latter 

Well the Nex has just been spruced up and ready for service !

Otherwise they will just have to move the Amorique !

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, nodwad said:

It is 120 hours from date and time of treatment .

Thanks, but must that 120 hours include the arrival inspection in the UK? ED. 

I think that they are about to cancel the MSM tomorrow as well. I am on the Etretat tonight which docks at 8.30:and have just been told it will dock at 7, just in time for an extra return journey !

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Thanks, but must that 120 hours include the arrival inspection in the UK? ED. 

I thought it was 120 hours before arrival in the UK according to BF advice. Happily our dog is now going to leave from le Havre today so should be within the limt.

• Thanks 1

Cabin boy if you go onto the defra web site and ask that question they will be able to tell you the rules.sombody said it is arrival in the uk which is right but to make sure for your own peace of mind just go onto the website I said and within a couple of days you will get the correct answer.

Thanks, Nodwad. I know my father had a vet's appointment on a Thursday afternoon a few years back (as the Friday was a public holiday) and his crossing was a Monday morning from Caen. The ferry was cancelled for whatever reason and BF specifically told him to take the tunnel instead to stay within the time frame. Ed. 

7 hours ago, David Williams said:

Well the Nex has just been spruced up and ready for service !

Otherwise they will just have to move the Amorique !

'Normandie Express' has been de-stocked and there's only a skeleton crew onboard. It will take too long to summon up a crew to cover.

Looks like she’s been on the move today. Would like to book a 24 hour trip this weekend but will check what happens tomorrow before booking. 

Portsmouth International Port currently have 'Mont St Michel' listed on their arrivals and departures for Thursday lunchtime.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

11 hours ago, PeteK said:

Looks like she’s been on the move today. Would like to book a 24 hour trip this weekend but will check what happens tomorrow before booking. 

Yes  MSM seems ok today which is excellent news, they are also running an extra return crossing from Le Havre, however it only seemed to be Lorries at Le Havre this morning.

'Mont St Michel' has returned to Portsmouth today after nearly 1 week away due to the technical issues.

MSM1.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Thanks, Nodwad. I know my father had a vet's appointment on a Thursday afternoon a few years back (as the Friday was a public holiday) and his crossing was a Monday morning from Caen. The ferry was cancelled for whatever reason and BF specifically told him to take the tunnel instead to stay within the time frame. Ed. 

Another factor to consider here is the suitability of the Etretat for dogs in cars. There were no pet-free cabins available on the Etretat and it was 25 degrees on deck 3 at  5pm last night. It was necessary to leave all windows and tailgate open but a visit mid crossing showed it had only dropped to 23 and dog was  still  panting so was  a real worry . Of course by time aware of this too late too leave ship  but would  recommend avoiding leaving dogs in cars on this ship. 

Tonights Roscoff-Plymouth sailing is due to arrive in Plymouth at 01.00, with a 5 hour crossing, presumably to get in before the storm arrives.  No mention of the Pont's overnight crossing being rescheduled, so I assume things will be calmer the further away she heads away from Plymouth

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Tonights Roscoff-Plymouth sailing is due to arrive in Plymouth at 01.00, with a 5 hour crossing, presumably to get in before the storm arrives.  No mention of the Pont's overnight crossing being rescheduled, so I assume things will be calmer the further away she heads away from Plymouth

South to South east winds forecast, so Roscoff will be sheltered.

• Like 1