Jump to content
Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2018 Latest News

Recommended Posts

Got an email from my Dad earlier to say he was sat on the Mont, broken down in Portsmouth. They've just got underway an hour late.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic, thanks Andy. 

This will be history in the making.  When she sails into Cork tomorrow, Armorique will become the first member of the fleet in BF history to have made commercial sailings into all eleven BF ports.  Good going.

 

Edit:  That's assuming the sailing happens.  According to the "Sailings Updates" page, it might still be cancelled.  There doesn't seem to be anything about the Cork sailings in the link you posted, Andy - it just talks about the Plymouth sailings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they might swap ships to make sure PA is in Plymouth for the Spain sailing Sunday afternoon, if she goes to Cork there could be delays throwing the timetable out for the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Solo said:

I think they might swap ships to make sure PA is in Plymouth for the Spain sailing Sunday afternoon, if she goes to Cork there could be delays throwing the timetable out for the week.

Yes, good thinking solo.  Makes complete sense, and good planning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sailings updates for Roscoff routes tomorrow do not make sense.

There is an 1100 departure from Plymouth (Armorique, delayed from this evening’s 2200).  There is a 1400 departure from Roscoff using Pont Aven, arriving Plymouth 2010.  And then somehow there is an 0930 departure from Roscoff to Cork.  How either Armorique or Pont Aven is supposed to be doing this as well as their Plymouth sailing is a mystery!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12/10/18 Plymouth to Roscoff 22:00 - We're sorry to advise that as a consequence of the continued bad weather, your crossing to Roscoff this evening has been delayed until approximately 11:00 tomorrow morning. We anticipate an arrival  into Roscoff at approximately 18:00 local time. Boarding will be between 20:00 and 22:00, at this time the door of the ship will be closed and you will be unable to disembark.

13/10/18 Roscoff to Plymouth 15:00  - As a consequence of bad weather this sailing will now be on Pont-Aven departing at the earlier time of 14:00 arriving into Plymouth at 20:10. Latest check-in will now be at 13:15. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

13/10/18 Plymouth to Roscoff 22:00 - As a consequence of bad weather this sailing will now be on Pont-Aven arriving into Roscoff at the earlier time of 07:00. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

12/10/18 Roscoff to Cork 20:30 - Due to adverse weather, the departure this evening Friday 12 Oct from Roscoff to Cork is now due to depart tomorrow Sat 13 October at 09:30. Depending on how the weather forecast evolves, this sailing may still have to be cancelled. We will send you a text message this evening to confirm.

?????

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the earliest Armorique will be able to sail for Cork will be around 1930-2000 tomorrow, 12 hours later than stated. Hard to see this sailing being anything other than cancelled.

Shame - history will have to wait! 🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shortly after I posted, the Cork - Roscoff sailing status changed to cancelled.

BF will just have to send Armorique to Cork another time! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just another quick observation for the person from BF who is reading this - the cancelled 1600 Cork-Roscoff sailing is showing in the Updates page as being for 14 Oct, when it should be 13 Oct.

Edit:  Now done, thanks. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at local news also - I think this storm has taken many by surprise in its' severity, especially so early in the season and compared to how things were a few days ago. I have spoken to many people tonight who have had serious transport disruption... I suppose BF are doing their best to tread the thin line between necessity to travel, and acceptable levels of safety and comfort!

Exeter airport had a ton of cancels today... If someone on a flight is told it is cancelled, there seems to be more inherent understanding... "Why?" .... "You might crash!"  With sea travel there, in my opinion, seems to be more of a view of "ohh... it'll be fine!"

Edited by hf_uk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely hf. It’s always a balancing act - do passengers want to cross or do they want to avoid discomfort.  Difficult calls for BF (and partly determined by loadings I would suspect).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Does anyone understand why BF cancel the Poole Cherbourg crossings due to the weather and not the St Malo crossing, is it due to the ship or port ?

Been discussed numerous times in the past, and there is a variety of opinion on the matter.  The Sailings Updates thread is probably not the place to have that debate all over again, but it’s an interesting question.  If you dig around in the forum archives you should be able to find what you are looking for, but if not you can always start a dedicated discussion thread.  

Suffice it to say, however, that the answer to the question you actually asked is.....“no”!  Nobody on here actually knows.  Everyone has their theories, and some will express them as if they consider them to be authoritive - but no-one actually knows definitively! 😉

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2018 at 15:40, TonyMWeaver said:

Technical Issue for 'Cap Finistere' today!

Capture.JPG

We are due to sail on the Cap from Bilbao next week (Thurs 25th). Would be good to have some kind of idea of:-

a) What the problem is?

b) Likely time when she will be back in service - and

c) What is BF's usual way of dealing with the cancellation of Spain - UK sailings?

Our sympathies to those stuck on the dockside in Portsmouth and Bilbao!

KeithM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eriba-ist said:

We are due to sail on the Cap from Bilbao next week (Thurs 25th). Would be good to have some kind of idea of:-

a) What the problem is?

b) Likely time when she will be back in service - and

c) What is BF's usual way of dealing with the cancellation of Spain - UK sailings?

Our sympathies to those stuck on the dockside in Portsmouth and Bilbao!

KeithM

Yes it would be nice to find out what the problem is with her,we are due out on her in a couple of weeks to bilbao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...