News threads can only be replied to, not created.

SAILING UPDATES: 2018 Latest News

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's my pics of pont aven and armourique   

For all al the stick she gets, Armorique is a very handy member of the fleet for BF.

I was on the Pont Aven from Roscoff  to Plymouth yesterday morning (having also arrived on her from Cork) - there was a technical issue and also an electrical issue (stopped serving any hot breakfasts

Posted Images

We returned home on the Cap from Bilbao last Thursday (25th), departing as scheduled.  About six hours later everything went quiet and we were informed there was "a serious medical emergency". Presumably a helicopter came from the nearest French base to winch-down a doctor/medic. It was four hours before the helicopter came back to collect them and we got underway again. Docked in Portsmouth 19.00. 

PS - a pity the Cap does not have a heli-pad - we had a similar delay last June when returning from Bilbao, only that time the medical emergency took place in the western Channel closer to the French coast, so helicopter transit times were shorter.

At Plymouth waiting for the arrival of Pont Avenue. It has sustained a technical issue. Departure expected to be approximately two hours late.

Damn auto-correct!

Edited by westy
AI?

I was on the Pont Aven from Roscoff  to Plymouth yesterday morning (having also arrived on her from Cork) - there was a technical issue and also an electrical issue (stopped serving any hot breakfasts / hot beverages for over an hour).   However the main problem was the weather in Roscoff yesterday.    I arrived on her from Cork  (a fairly lumpy crossing on the Saturday night) and it took some attempts to get her alongside as the wind was blowing very hard from the north and keeping her off the berth (took 3 attempts to finally get her close enough to the pier to get lines ashore).   The Engines and bow thrust had to be kept running during discharging and re-loading to keep her sufficiently alongside, such was the force of wind against her, but she was still ranging quite a bit all through discharge and loading.     Getting back out of Roscoff was was an interesting manouevour - soon as she started going astern clear of the pier she took on some very heavy rolling until she was headed directly into the wind.    Once clear of the berth and heading north she was plowing through some very heavy and high swells and at times the speed was down to 10 kts.   Before we left Roscoff they advised that the open decks would be closed for the duration of the crossing.    Have a few videos of the berthing attempts (all too big to share here), but here is a pic taken at the time showing sea state.20181028_054657.thumb.jpg.b86da08c1008cfb2befa3d9d36ea1643.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
46 minutes ago, nodwad said:

So does the cap stop docking there when she is on her way to bilbao?

She still docks there for her crew change if the weather allows.  But she tends to divert to Brest in winter when the weather is dodgy for Roscoff.  So, you’re right, the port doesn’t literally shut down, but regular passenger services that depend on the port being open do.

On 28/10/2018 at 13:42, Eriba-ist said:

We returned home on the Cap from Bilbao last Thursday (25th), departing as scheduled.  About six hours later everything went quiet and we were informed there was "a serious medical emergency". Presumably a helicopter came from the nearest French base to winch-down a doctor/medic. It was four hours before the helicopter came back to collect them and we got underway again. Docked in Portsmouth 19.00. 

PS - a pity the Cap does not have a heli-pad - we had a similar delay last June when returning from Bilbao, only that time the medical emergency took place in the western Channel closer to the French coast, so helicopter transit times were shorter.

The "medical emergency" the Cap' had when we were aboard in September was two stowaways which led to a three hour delay. The sailing from Portsmouth prior to our return was also delayed for 3 hours due to a "technical difficulty"... stowaways. They're gaining access to vehicles en route especially from Bilbao.

• Like 1
On 19/10/2018 at 08:19, Eriba-ist said:

We are due to sail on the Cap from Bilbao next week (Thurs 25th). Would be good to have some kind of idea of:-

a) What the problem is?

b) Likely time when she will be back in service - and

c) What is BF's usual way of dealing with the cancellation of Spain - UK sailings?

Our sympathies to those stuck on the dockside in Portsmouth and Bilbao!

KeithM

BF don't have to tell you what the problem is, the term 'Technical Issue' should suffice.

• Like 1

I would just like to say the customer service provided by BF when my parents shortened their holiday then were affected by the wildcat strikes at Ouistreham was beyond anything that they had to legally provide or were expected to provide it certainly helped make a bad situation a lot less bad than it could have been.

• Like 2

I see the cap is diverting to Plymouth instead her normal docking at Portsmouth .to give her more time for repairs or whatever is the problem with her.i know she has had problems in the past week or so.anyone know what her problem is?

1 hour ago, nodwad said:

I see the cap is diverting to Plymouth instead her normal docking at Portsmouth .to give her more time for repairs or whatever is the problem with her.i know she has had problems in the past week or so.anyone know what her problem is?

That's two weeks away. 15th November.

6 minutes ago, jonno said:

That's two weeks away. 15th November.

Yes I know but she has being having problems for a while now and Iam on her on the 11 November and when they say 15 November ,should it not read 14 November because she leaves bibao 10-30 am on the 13 November for her run back to the uk

• Gareth locked and unpinned this topic