Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2018 Latest News

....and she’s still there.  So not just a case of putting in to offload a medical emergency.  Hope all is ok with the ship - conditions are surely not bad enough that she has to take shelter there before continuing the journey?

Looks like BDS sailing to Le Havre tomorrow night has been cancelled.  Nothing yet on the updates page regarding cancellation of today’s departure from Spain (which had already been diverted from Santander to Bilbao due to late departure from Portsmouth yesterday).

Interesting decision to disembark all passengers in Brest due to one person getting hurt.  Must be more to it than that.

Correction:  The Spain departure is cancelled - listed as a “2000 Bilbao to Portsmouth” sailing.  (Which is the same as the 1715 from Santander, still listed as diverted to Bilbao).  Reason cited, as well as a medical evacuation, is “deteriorating weather conditions”.

3 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Nothing yet on the updates page regarding cancellation of today’s departure from Spain

It seems to be a deliberate policy to let those with bookings know of problems via text and email before putting the information on the webpage.

Yes, and that’s fair enough.  Good practice in fact.

Nothing indicating the 9 November sailing from Le Havre is cancelled, so I expect we’ll see BDS relocate from Brest to Le Havre in ballast at some point.

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Correction:  The Spain departure is cancelled - listed as a “2000 Bilbao to Portsmouth” sailing.  (Which is the same as the 1715 from Santander, still listed as diverted to Bilbao).  Reason cited, as well as a medical evacuation, is “deteriorating weather conditions”.

Biscay, Plymouth, Portland & Wight are all showing gale 8 severe gale 9 with rough or very rough seas.

Thanks Jonno.  Those conditions would not normally cause cancellation of sailings.  Borderline force 8/9 is meat and drink for these ferries.  And Pont Aven is plodding merrily down the Bay as we type.

I wonder what sort of seakeeper BDS is, in Biscay conditions.  Putting the two sources together, and reading between the lines, it sounds as if this medical issue might have been more to do with someone getting injured in the conditions on board.  If this resulted in the crew becoming worried about the safety of other passengers, that might explain the decision to abort the sailing at Brest.  Eapecially if the injury is serious.

I wonder if there is a problem with BDS fitting the berth at Brest.  From memory, I think it is quite a narrow linkspan.  (And BDS has quite a wide stern door).

Interesting word in that last tweet posted by David.  “Safety”.  Not normally a word that is used in connection with weather cancellations (as safety is very rarely the issue in bad weather - comfort is).  So, for some reason, this one is being seen as a safety issue.  I don’t think we know the full story yet.

Don't know enough to agree or not, Tony. Presumably she and her family are not particular ferry fans. If she is stranded with - let us say - three 'under fives', or however many fractious kids the family may consist of, then I think it is quite restrained. When my family was growing up they were remarkably tranquil, but with one being quite severely handicapped any sort of change to routine became a major headache, particularly if kept in the dark as to immediate plans. I won't judge.

Comparing the two linkspans (Brest and Le Havre) on Google maps with the scale they provide, it does look slightly narrower but is perhaps angled better. Ed. 

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

There is a 'sympathetic tweet' that gives some information 

That isn't my experience of being diverted on BF. The one time it happened to me they paid me a mileage allowance for the extra driving distance. Can't remember if there was any fare adjustment too. In the case of Brest to Bilbao that would be substantial.

6 minutes ago, TerryDorset said:

That isn't my experience of being diverted on BF.

I am sure that BF will be very fair with those affected, I only quoted Elise as it started to explain what was happening to the BDS before anything was being published. 

• Like 1