Gareth

SAILING UPDATES: 2018 Latest News

37 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

That scrubber installation on the Pont is truly horrible! No amount of repainting can even begin to mitigate its appearance!

Yep and the space deck lost to it is even worse.

I hadn't really looked before but the revised PA is really butt ugly.

Armorique looks good and is a great ship to cross on. Never feels crowded.

The Bretagne is still a class ship, even if the state of the interior tells you they are not planning to keep her much longer.

Rhys

1 hour ago, Andy said:
Portsmouth to Le Havre - Le Havre to Portsmouth
We are sorry to advise that due to a Dockers strike in Le Havre, the following sailings have been CANCELLED:
12/12/18 Portsmouth to Le Havre 23:30
13/12/18 Le Havre to Portsmouth 22:00

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates 

This was announced at the end of November, however BF always wait until the last minute to share it https://s5d9e0c91c56792bf.jimcontent.com/download/version/1543747261/module/11176953894/name/tracts actions a compter du 3 decembre 2018.pdf

On 09/12/2018 at 19:10, TonyMWeaver said:

'Normandie' must be ok now as she's heading back to Ouistreham ready for her sailing tonight.

Our trip back Yesteday on Normandie was delayed into Pompey because of “Technical Problems” so I am not sure that is true.

Subsequent crossing speed have been slower than the norm.

Edited by alleeganger10
More info

Not sure why they couldn't just send the PA to Cherbourg - unless it's to avoid irritating the unions.

33 minutes ago, Jim said:

Not sure why they couldn't just send the PA to Cherbourg - unless it's to avoid irritating the unions.

'Pont-Aven' is going somewhere @Jim, she's just given the 15 minute call to QHM for departure. Possibly to the anchorage to make room for 'Etretat'.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

49 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Pont-Aven' is going somewhere @Jim, she's just given the 15 minute call to QHM for departure. Possibly to the anchorage to make room for 'Etretat'.

Fair play - I was referring to with passengers, particularly given then Wave105 event. 

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Fair play - I was referring to with passengers, particularly given then Wave105 event. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about them. Ha Ha! 

I think Cherbourg is suffering from poor weather hence tomorrow's Barfleur cancellations.

Roscoff - Plymouth
17th December 2018 - 22:00

Sailing Modification

We are sorry to advise that due to a combination of operational reasons and tidal constraints, your sailing from Roscoff to Plymouth on Monday night has been delayed and will now depart at 00:40. Unfortunately, early boarding is no longer available and the latest check-in time is now 23:00. Arrival into Plymouth on Tuesday morning remains unchanged (08:00). We are sorry for the inconvenience this will cause.

31 minutes ago, BobtheBunker said:

Roscoff - Plymouth
17th December 2018 - 22:00

Sailing Modification

We are sorry to advise that due to a combination of operational reasons and tidal constraints, your sailing from Roscoff to Plymouth on Monday night has been delayed and will now depart at 00:40. Unfortunately, early boarding is no longer available and the latest check-in time is now 23:00. Arrival into Plymouth on Tuesday morning remains unchanged (08:00). We are sorry for the inconvenience this will cause.

My stepmother is booked on this sailing.  I was expecting there to be a delay or a cancellation, but more down to the weather forecast for Tuesday morning.

Tonight's Plymouth-Roscoff sailing has also been amended, arriving at 11.00am instead of 8.00am, for the same reasons as the Monday night crossing..

The Condor Rapide was able to sail from St Malo to Jersey today as planned so I can only assume that the strike has now ended and that PA will be running as usual this evening. 🤞 Ed. 

The sailng forecast for the Roscoff - Plymouth crossing on the17th doesn't look too good, I can see it being cancelled, especially as it is leaving later when the worst of the weather seems to be due.

Maybe going Caen - Portsmouth instead!

A lot of changes on the Plymouth-Roscoff route over the next few days:

18/12/18 Plymouth to Roscoff 22:00 - Departure remains 22:00. Early boarding starts from 20:00. Arrival into Roscoff is now 12:50 (was 08:00).

19/12/18 Roscoff to Plymouth 22:00 - Departure is now at the earlier time of 18:00. Early boarding is no longer available. Latest check-in is now 17:15. Arrival into Plymouth remains unchanged at 08:00.

20/12/18 Plymouth to Roscoff 22:00 - Departure remains 22:00. Early boarding starts from 20:00. Arrival into Roscoff is now 06:30 (was 08:00).

21/12/18 Roscoff to Plymouth 15:00 - Departure is now 15:20. Latest check-in is now 14:35. Arrival into Plymouth remains unchanged at 20:10.

21/12/18 Plymouth to Roscoff 22:00 - Departure remains 22:00. Arrival into Roscoff is now 07:15 (was 08:00).

22/12/18 Roscoff to Plymouth 22:00 - Departure is now at the earlier time of 20:40. Early boarding is no longer available. Arrival into Plymouth remains unchanged at 08:00.

Means my crossing on the 18th is now almost 5 hours longer!

So I’ve finally got to the bottom of what’s going on here. Not only did the prang on Saturday morning render the rear ramp on Armorique temporarily out of service, hence the language used along the lines of “ donnez un bon coup de masse Pierre” which translates to “whack it with a sledge hammer Pete” , it also mullered the linkspan which no longer can rise and fall with the tide. So it’s stuck in a mid-position meaning they have to wait until roughly halfway between high and low tide to allow the ramp to be at the same height as the ships ramp to safely load and unload vehicles.

I hope that’s now clear but it explains the odd arrival/departure times.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

So I’ve finally got to the bottom of what’s going on here. Not only did the prang on Saturday morning render the rear ramp on Armorique temporarily out of service, hence the language used along the lines of “ donnez un bon coup de masse Pierre” which translates to “whack it with a sledge hammer Pete” , it also mullered the linkspan which no longer can rise and fall with the tide. So it’s stuck in a mid-position meaning they have to wait until roughly halfway between high and low tide to allow the ramp to be at the same height as the ships ramp to safely load and unload vehicles.

I hope that’s now clear but it explains the odd arrival/departure times.

Chris

Presumably this is affecting the Cap Finistere's Sunday crossings too

CF called at Roscoff as normal this morning according to MT. It may well be that there were no French cars to load heading south and they simply used the gangway to do the crew change. Ed. 

• Like 1

Don't if Iam right but I thought the stop over at roscoff was for crew change only for cf ?been on this crossing many time and have never seen any cars coming on board.

7 minutes ago, nodwad said:

Don't if Iam right but I thought the stop over at roscoff was for crew change only for cf ?been on this crossing many time and have never seen any cars coming on board.

They do sell it to French passengers as an option to travel to Spain and Portugal for extended (often out-of-season) breaks. You can then drive back up. Or drive down and the return trip is via Plymouth on the PA for example. Here's just one example of a current promotion they are offering. 

http://www.brittany-ferries.fr/Vacances/Destinations/Espagne/longs_sejours_Espagne_Portugal

Ed

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Luckily Roscoff will be shutting down again in the New Year.  Plenty of time to fix it!

I assume IF aren't running either, which is even more luck - Imagine that chaos if two operators were fighting for mid-tide.