Scooby

Pont Aven 4 berth cabins

Hi, planning to travel Portsmouth-Santander, in May. 

3 grown ups (Including tall  Dad and Grandad!) and a 3 year old. 

No deluxe cabins available. 

Is there any space difference between 4berth inside/outside/club? 

Should we try and request a particular level/floor/? Avoid certain ones? 

Or in reality are they not built for 3 adults and a child, and Worth coughing up for 2 cabins?! 

Just wanting best sleep possible, without feeling totally claustrophobic/on top of each other!!

Thank you very much. 😀

Apparently the club ones are slightly longer and the tv is nice if the weathers rough, I personally wouldn’t want to share one with another 2 adults would be cramped and with my Dads snoring capabilities after plentiful wine consumption noisy too, deck 6 is my preference away from the car decks but not too high up.

in my opinion  a 4 berth is not suitable for 3 adults who all would like to sleep. That means two cabins I am afraid. Deck 6 is best - we always request particular outside cabins, 6226, 6228 or 6297, 6297 on Pont Aven, near to the Reception I.e. near the centre of the ship/boat, and have always been successful.

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Apparently the club ones are slightly longer and the tv is nice if the weathers rough, I personally wouldn’t want to share one with another 2 adults would be cramped and with my Dads snoring capabilities after plentiful wine consumption noisy too, deck 6 is my preference away from the car decks but not too high up.

VERY good point re snoring/wine consumption! Definitely making me think of going for 2 Cabins now!

i’ll look Into Deck 6. Thank you. Grandads preference will def to be a bit away from lots of noise etc. 

To book preferences-do u have to do that over the phone, or can u do it on the Internet? Do u have to do it directly with BF?

Thanks for the advice. 

1 hour ago, rileyman said:

in my opinion  a 4 berth is not suitable for 3 adults who all would like to sleep. That means two cabins I am afraid. Deck 6 is best - we always request particular outside cabins, 6226, 6228 or 6297, 6297 on Pont Aven, near to the Reception I.e. near the centre of the ship/boat, and have always been successful.

This is really helpful too.

Sounds like Deck 6, is the deck of choice...and 2 cabins.

Have made a note of cabin no’s (incase we change our date) but it looks like bookings are happening so quickly-and 2 berth ‘outside’ cabins have just sold out, on our chosen date. 😒 

Think we probably want 2 cabins close to each other, so might have to go for the inside cabins. Have u had any experience of inside ones? Are they ok?

Also did you have to telephone/speak to BF directly to get your deck of choice? or can you do that on the Internet?

This website is great. Thanks for all your time.

25 minutes ago, Scooby said:

VERY good point re snoring/wine consumption! Definitely making me think of going for 2 Cabins now!

i’ll look Into Deck 6. Thank you. Grandads preference will def to be a bit away from lots of noise etc. 

To book preferences-do u have to do that over the phone, or can u do it on the Internet? Do u have to do it directly with BF?

Thanks for the advice. 

You need to do it over the phone. I don't think an agent has the ability to do it.

I usually book it then phone them or message them on Twitter to get it changed  if it doesn’t suit ,haven’t had a noisy cabin yet on deck 6.

we have a 2 berth inside booked for March behind the reception had it a couple of times now always a good nights sleep in it 6268.

Edited by neilcvx
  • Thanks 1

One thing to remember. If you have an outside cabin on deck 6, that's the promenade deck. So you'll have people walking around outside and maybe an obstructed view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Think we probably want 2 cabins close to each other, so might have to go for the inside cabins. Have u had any experience of inside ones? Are they ok?

I did a Portsmouth-Santander trip with 2 of us in a 4-berth inside cabin, (6496) and it was fine, with storage space for luggage under the beds.  I don't know how big the 2-berth inside cabins are as I don't do bunk beds!  Have also had cabin 6488 along the same corridor for a Portsmouth-St Malo trip, it seems like a quiet area where you can walk along to the end of the corridor, up the stairs and outside and you end up at the restaurant on Deck 7.

Re requesting particular cabin numbers, I always book online, then phone BF if I want to change the cabin number. They've been very helpful on the couple of occasions I've done this.

• Thanks 1

We would certainly have a 4 berth if we were going to Spain but cost was the decider in the March trip although I’m getting to your way of thinking @cvabishop the wife doesn’t seem to care for some reason 🤔

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

We would certainly have a 4 berth if we were going to Spain but cost was the decider in the March trip although I’m getting to your way of thinking @cvabishop the wife doesn’t seem to care for some reason 🤔

Haha! So helpful thank you.

1 hour ago, Shefford said:

I did a Portsmouth-Santander trip with 2 of us in a 4-berth inside cabin, (6496) and it was fine, with storage space for luggage under the beds.  I don't know how big the 2-berth inside cabins are as I don't do bunk beds!  Have also had cabin 6488 along the same corridor for a Portsmouth-St Malo trip, it seems like a quiet area where you can walk along to the end of the corridor, up the stairs and outside and you end up at the restaurant on Deck 7.

Re requesting particular cabin numbers, I always book online, then phone BF if I want to change the cabin number. They've been very helpful on the couple of occasions I've done this.

Really helpful. We want the best attempt at sleep possible. We have a long drive from Santander to Southern Spain (with overnight stop) after the PA. 

So all this advice is so helpful.

Thanks everyone.

An inside 4 berth is cheaper than an outside cabin so can make a viable 'comfort' alternative to a 2 berth. You don't really need the window as much of the time it is dark and the rest of the time it is just some waves...

• Thanks 1

Personally I am not so keen on the sixth deck outside cabins - some have an obstructed view and you have people walking outside your window on that marvellous promenade which Pont Aven has on its sixth deck. I have always found the deck below just as quiet, save the odd car alarm which soon seems to go silent.

A 4 berth cabin doesn't have 2 x the amount of available floor space as a 2 berth caabin, so will feel very cramped with more than 2 people.

We had an inside cabin once going to Spain, had noisy school party either side of us, stuck to outside since then.

But you could still have noisy neighbours either side of you even with an outside cabin!

This last few years we have found that an inside 4 berth cabin for the two of us works well and is relatively economical. When you need to get up early for an arrival two people are  more than enough to absorb the ablution facilities!

Years ago I shared a 4 berth between three friends and it was a bit like being on my 25ft sailing yacht, cosy but not altogether civilised!

Well my husband and I will definitely have to be sharing with our 3 year old son,  so I think my Father in Law, by himself, will have the civilised option!  Unless we can sneak our son , into his cabin, whilst he’s asleep?!

Others will know better but you may be able to get a cot for your son which can be placed on the floor between the lower bunks. Your Father in Law could then have a two bed inside to himself which would be fine. So then one inside 4 berth and one inside two berth. Probably the cheapest comfortable option and an excellent way to travel.

You are quite right that  the priority is to get a decent night's sleep for the onward journey. We once made the mistake of doingt Portsmouth to Caen overnight, got hardly any sleep due to the early arrival and an hour into our onward drive I had to pull over for a nap as I wasn't fit to drive - and I was a lot younger then!

Edited by cvabishop

Not for a 3 year-old Colin.  The cots are theoretically for up to 1 year old, but in practice can probably be used up to 2.  Beyond that they are far too small.

I stand corrected then but I have heard that passengers have rigged up something for themselves for tots in such circumstances but probably not a problem if one parent can use an upper bunk. I never used to mind that when I was younger and we took our daughters with us. Elder one and I took the upper berths.

You could take an upper berth mattress and put it on the floor.

Edited by cvabishop

This is all very helpful. Thank you. 

On a different note-has anyone ever signed up for the BF Club Voyage to Spain? Would it be worth all the expense for one return journey? It doesn’t seem very clear on how the discount applies. One sentence says discount for all routes  to Spain and another ‘not for overnight accommodation’ or similar.. is the discount just on the vehicle aspect of the booking? Is the 30% discount (and benefits) just on one persons share of the booking , rather than the whole party? 

It is on the fare, so that doesn't include accommodation. If you travel to France regularly, it might be worth opting for that as you get 10% on travel to Spain.