Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
pj34

Armorique & Cap Finistere - rare sight this morning

Recommended Posts

A beautiful morning today and whilst out for a run, I may have been the only person lucky enough to capture a rare sight of Armorique & Cap Finistere passing off Southsea seafront. 

Most vessels seem to pass further out in the Solent.  Thought I'd share. Please excuse the terrible photo quality taken with my work phone. WP_20180110_08_37_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.dcc190500b3b808b4c39b5d106bf18c4.jpg

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed about a week or so ago, as well, that Etretat (outbound) passed CF (inbound) in the Portsmouth channel off Southsea.

You are right, it has always been the practice in the (jumbo ferry era) past that two ferries would not pass in the channel.  The inbound one would wait near the forts until the outbound one cleared South Spit. Or the outbound one would wait in the harbour until the inbound one was past.

So this passing in the channel is a new phenomenon, and leads naturally on to the logical question.  Has this been enabled by a widening of the channel (or straightening of the Southsea dogleg) for the new aircraft carrier?

If so then this kind of sight is presumably something we will start to see more regularly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The amount of time that the dredging took both outside and inside the harbour I would suggest  a bit of both. Approx 3 million cubic yards of spoil was removed during the whole operation, I once read in the local rag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Out south of the Nab Tower, in the so called "deep". Used to watch the dredgers on local Solent shipping AIS. Must have got it right as the last time they took HMS QE out for trials before Christmas leave they did it at dead low water so they certainly got a tick in the box for harbour dredging.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, nothing’s that deep out there to be honest.  I suppose at least it does get to 50-60m out in the middle of the Central Channel, which is better going than the 30-odd metres that make up the deepest parts of the Southern North Sea (which is extremely shallow in general).  

But to get to the “deep” parts of the Channel you need to get out to the west of the Poole-Cherbourg line.  Hurd Deep, particularly, north of the Casquets, is the only part of the Channel that exceeds 100m charted depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have imagined somewhere further afield, and not in the sea, to stop it all drifting back over the next 10 years. Like using it as infill in Jersey behind the new extended breakwater they have recently built. Or for land reclamation in the Netherlands. But maybe there were too many shopping-trolleys and burnt-out Fiestas mixed in with the silt. Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pj34 said:

A beautiful morning today and whilst out for a run, I may have been the only person lucky enough to capture a rare sight of Armorique & Cap Finistere passing off Southsea seafront. 

Most vessels seem to pass further out in the Solent.  Thought I'd share. Please excuse the terrible photo quality taken with my work phone. WP_20180110_08_37_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.dcc190500b3b808b4c39b5d106bf18c4.jpg

 

pj34 ..........

It was gracious of you to apologise for the picture quality, but it looks pretty good to me !

Nice.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gareth said:

I noticed about a week or so ago, as well, that Etretat (outbound) passed CF (inbound) in the Portsmouth channel off Southsea.

You are right, it has always been the practice in the (jumbo ferry era) past that two ferries would not pass in the channel.  The inbound one would wait near the forts until the outbound one cleared South Spit. Or the outbound one would wait in the harbour until the inbound one was past.

So this passing in the channel is a new phenomenon, and leads naturally on to the logical question.  Has this been enabled by a widening of the channel (or straightening of the Southsea dogleg) for the new aircraft carrier?

If so then this kind of sight is presumably something we will start to see more regularly.

I've always thought it was normal?

I've been on CF heading in as MSM has passed plus the chartered P&O's used to pass each other. I've been on PoB on a few occasions as she's passed one of the Peter Pans not too far beyond the harbour entrance. If the outgoing  Billy was a little late departing she'd heave to for a few minutes opposite the naval base and wait for PoL or PoP to pass.

I also remember Bretagne passing Etretat in her former guise as Norman Voyager adjacent to Southsea Common. 

Might it be a seasonal restriction due to wind and tides during Autumn & Winter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for the kind words.  It wasn't a great photo given the device; my personal Galaxy S7 Edge would've yielded a much better result!

All this talk of passing in the channel by Southsea reminds me of something very unique.  I remember being with my parents at the Still and West in Old Portsmouth as a kid and seeing the Pride of Winchester and Duchesse Anne passing each other in the harbour entrance itself- in between Old Portsmouth and the Gosport side! I'll never forget that :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pj34 said:

All this talk of passing in the channel by Southsea reminds me of something very unique.  I remember being with my parents at the Still and West in Old Portsmouth as a kid and seeing the Pride of Winchester and Duchesse Anne passing each other in the harbour entrance itself- in between Old Portsmouth and the Gosport side! I'll never forget that :) 

Aahhhh....those were the days! 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pj34 said:

Thanks all for the kind words.  It wasn't a great photo given the device; my personal Galaxy S7 Edge would've yielded a much better result!

All this talk of passing in the channel by Southsea reminds me of something very unique.  I remember being with my parents at the Still and West in Old Portsmouth as a kid and seeing the Pride of Winchester and Duchesse Anne passing each other in the harbour entrance itself- in between Old Portsmouth and the Gosport side! I'll never forget that :) 

The photo was great. It's the opportunity that counts as there is no way you can set that type of shot up at this time of the year and/or guarantee the result. I don't know what time you were out for your run but I guess the camera has over - exposed the shot to ensure you captured all the detail with the available light. If you had taken time fiddling around in the menus you might have been able to get the light balance to be more natural but by then the two ships would have gone by. I just ran your shot through my simple editing software and corrected the lighting to improve the contrast but have probably over-compensated. I'll upload it in a moment so you can see the difference and I've also cropped it to draw the attention to the centre - ground. The resolution will likely have taken a hit in the process as each upload/download is lower than the last. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...